Beginners and Beyond

Girls and Women in Sports Wednesdailies (Read 20 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

My first and best coach when I got back to running as an adult in 1968 was a woman. She taught me training principles years, sometimes decades, ahead of when they became mainstream.  Over the years I've also been privileged to see much of the history of women in distance running and even met some of the early pioneers like Kathrine Switzer and Nina Kuscik.

Meanwhile in contemporary times winter weather has finally arrived. It;a going to be a cold run today, even in the afternoon.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

We finally got some snow - enough to cover cars and some parts of sidewalks, but streets are clear and grass is still showing through, so no real accumulation.  We've had some deep cold, but until last night all precipitation came with a warm spell.

WCR - Interesting comments about what you've seen in your time.

SRD for me.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
      10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

An early 6 miles before my 7 AM meeting. But the Garmin server is down, so it doesn't count.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

We got a tiny bit of snow overnight.  Didn't matter to me, 50 minutes easy on the treadmill.

delicate flower

What I thought was a sore left IT band has graduated to a sore lower back/hip/glute that is becoming almost too unbearable to run on, but I will attempt to jog on the track this afternoon to see how that goes.  I've never felt pain like this before and I can't pinpoint exactly where it hurts...somewhere around the left hip general area but doesn't feel like the joint.  Seems to hurt when I start running but becomes tolerable once I get warmed up.  It does not hurt at all when I swim or bike...it's the running impact that makes it hurt.  I'm going to see my PT guy tomorrow for a diagnosis and remedy.  I like my guy because he's an Ironman and treats taking time off as the last option.

<3

^Ugh. Good luck.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! I have 5-6 later. In the office, drove the Tesla for the first time downtown. I was nervous for some reason, maybe thinking the car would explode or something, ha.

Damaris

sdWhiskers

3 miles in cold and sunny.

Then had my first mammogram which makes me feel old. Relative to other women's health exams, this wasn't bad at all. Based on the thread title, maybe I should have had them check to make sure my uterus didn't fall out from my run.

had my first mammogram 

Good for you. DW's mom and two sisters have had BC; all were caught early and had to go through chemo/radiation, but are fully recovered and doing fine. Apparently the kind they had is not hereditary and DW doesn't have the gene, so she's not worried for herself (of course she still gets MG's routinely). I'm glad she isn't, but I am a little bit! Of the 9 in her immediate family (parents/siblings), 5 have had some kind of cancer. Get your colonoscopies too, all you of a certain age.

Dave

GinnyinPA

Dave, your wife's family sounds like mine. Way too much cancer. My GP told me last time that I probably carry the gene for breast cancer given the number of close family who had either breast or prostate cancer. (Evidently they can be related?) I've been doing mammograms since I was in my 30s.but don't really want to know if I carry the gene. i already know my risks are high.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

3 miles in cold and sunny.

Then had my first mammogram which makes me feel old. Relative to other women's health exams, this wasn't bad at all. Based on the thread title, maybe I should have had them check to make sure my uterus didn't fall out from my run.

Good job getting one. I just had like my 7th, so I feel really old.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Get your colonoscopies too, all you of a certain age.

I elected to do Cologuard earlier this year. All good in that front (apparently).

Damaris

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I elected to do Cologuard earlier this year. All good in that front (apparently).

Or good in the end

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

5 tm miles for this woman today.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Same but with 6 X 100m strides at the end.

Damaris