Beginners and Beyond

Would you go to Mars? (Read 41 times)

LRB

Yes.  I always wanted to be an astronaut, why not.

As did I, but that was to go to space and come back in the same lifetime. lol

Little Blue

"The MIT researchers analyzed the Mars One mission plan and found that the first astronaut would suffocate after 68 days. The other astronauts would die of starvation, dehydration, or incineration in an oxygen-rich atmosphere."

So this is setup for reality TV, which as the article opines, will make for some morbid viewing!

So why wouldn't they all suffocate after 68 days?  One guy breathes heavier and uses up all his oxygen?

I agree with Lily. I like to travel, but I like to come home, too.  No thanks.

Hip Redux

hahaha! Sometimes, I wish I could send the kids I look after to Mars.

Well now if we are talking about SENDING people to Mars... I have some suggestions. lol

I LOVE Mary Roach!   I read that, but I think my favorite of hers is Stiff.  If you haven't read it, you must Smile

I also read Gulp, which was pretty good too. I did not read Stiff, because it seemed kind of gruesome. Although not sure why, because in fact I did read an excellent book called The Knife Man, which you'd probably like if you liked Stiff. It was basically a biography of John Hunter, who in 18th century England was a pioneer of modern surgery methods and anatomical research. But of course involved a lot of nasty business.

Dave

Hip Redux

I also read Gulp, which was pretty good too. I did not read Stiff, because it seemed kind of gruesome. Although not sure why, because in fact I did read an excellent book called The Knife Man, which you'd probably like if you liked Stiff. It was basically a biography of John Hunter, who in 18th century England was a pioneer of modern surgery methods and anatomical research. But of course involved a lot of nasty business.

Well, I don't recommend it if you are really squeamish.  She does talk quit a bit about what happens to the body.  But everyone I've recommended the book to has enjoyed it.   There's one particularly funny scene that I laughed out loud at  while I was reading on a plane - and then realized how awful it was that I was laughing at a book about dead bodies, and hoped no one was paying too much attention to me and my reading material. lol

catwhoorg

Labrat

My wife wouldn't let me go.

Funny.

Mine signed me up for some sort of  "win a trip" gameshow with this very same organisation.

I'm hoping Hawaii!

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

LRB

Funny.

Mine signed me up for some sort of  "win a trip" gameshow with this very same organisation.

I'm hoping Hawaii!

Nice knowing 'ya!  See you on the Running in Space forums. lol