Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #49 (Read 28 times)

sdWhiskers

I’ve never walked recoveries for anything, for better or worse. They do get pretty slow! And sometimes early in a workout when I still have a lot of energy, I force myself to slow down. I don’t usually have to force myself later in the workout.

When my coach gives me 3-4 x 1 mi it is always 1 min recovery. Quickest 1 minute of my life!

DavePNW

When my coach gives me 3-4 x 1 mi it is always 1 min recovery. Quickest 1 minute of my life!

F that! Although not as quick as the 15-second recoveries at the end of the Mona.

Dave

onemile

I ran nearly 10 with 4x2k (~6:27/mile avg pace) and then 2x400m

Ran it outside and that was the right choice - the trail was pretty clear (there were a couple icy spots but mostly good dry pavement).

RRP ran the workout with me but he bailed in the middle of the 4th 2k because he was dying (sucking wind) so I finished that one without him and then we did the 400's, during which his IT Band started hurting.   So we cut the cool down miles short and had to walk the last few blocks.

DavePNW

Nice work! That is not 10k-15k pace!

Dave

onemile

Nice work! That is not 10k-15k pace!

What is it then?  

McMillan gives me a 6:28/mile 10k pace based on my marathon PR

I was running them closer to 6:15-6:20 prior to Houston but I am working to get back now

DavePNW

What is it then?  

McMillan gives me a 6:28/mile 10k pace based on my marathon PR

I was running them closer to 6:15-6:20 prior to Houston but I am working to get back now

OK that’s fair. You really need to race some shorter distances to get some legitimate PR times.

Dave

onemile

OK that’s fair. You really need to race some shorter distances to get some legitimate PR times.

My coach told me to hit 6:30 today and he wants them back closer to 6:15 in 2-3 weeks. Eek.

Cyberic

Ran it outside and that was the right choice - the trail was pretty clear (there were a couple icy spots but mostly good dry pavement).

RRP ran the workout with me but he bailed in the middle of the 4th 2k because he was dying (sucking wind) so I finished that one without him and then we did the 400's, during which his IT Band started hurting.   So we cut the cool down miles short and had to walk the last few blocks.

Running fast when hurt often doesn't work for me either.

I ran my 2Ks a tad slower than you today, and I only had 3. Do you have a pace target? I go for Threshold pace, but by feel again this week, and often will do the last one faster (10K) , but today I was cautious of the groin and kept it all at T.

Cyberic

My coach told me to hit 6:30 today and he wants them back closer to 6:15 in 2-3 weeks. Eek.

There is my answer for my target pace question.

onemile

Running fast when hurt often doesn't work for me either.

I ran my 2Ks a tad slower than you today, and I only had 3. Do you have a pace target? I go for Threshold pace, but by feel again this week, and often will do the last one faster (10K) , but today I was cautious of the groin and kept it all at T.

Your recovery was also shorter.  We walked the entire 2 minutes and I needed all of it

Cyberic

Your recovery was also shorter.  We walked the entire 2 minutes and I needed all of it

You're pushing more. Although we don't do them the same (recoveries), you're hitting the same paces I am, and 5 miles worth of them. The gap between our fitnesses is pretty narrow.

Cyberic

Do you have Monday hill sprints?

onemile

Do you have Monday hill sprints?

not in the winter because when it's cold you can pull a muscle sprinting so I expect we will start that back up when it warms up again

DavePNW

Dave