Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 39 Father's Day 5K/10K (Read 8 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Below is yet another of my photo reports.

Link to photos only:

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252039%2520Fathers%2520Day%25205K%2520and%252010K?sort=2

Full report below.    

BEFORE MY START

My 39th race of 2019 was the Purnell Racing Flag Day 10K/5K held on June 16, Father’s Day 2019, at Bluebonnet Palace, a dance, music, and entertainment venue in Selma, Texas.  This race is part of Purnell Racing (https://www.purnellracing.com/)  Grand Prix Race Series, a series of races where you get points for each race done and for age group placing, and so forth.  This was my 2nd race of the weekend after doing Carrabba’s 5K the day before.  This was a fairly small event with 19 finishers, so it felt more like a nice fun run with friends rather than a race, which was all right with me.  No age group awards, but everyone got finisher medals. Race start time of 8 a.m.  I arrived with about 45 minutes to go to start time, got my race packet, and then got a few pre-start photos.  The weather was kind of crazy, very dark skies, with a bit of a wind blowing, but it felt okay and it never did rain on us; in the 70s when we started – hey, it’s South Texas in June, so to be expected – but really did not feel bad at all out there.

Waiting for the start

With my speedy friend who did the 10K

photo IMG_0445_zpsgo1lyymv.jpg

Friend Ric, right ,will be doing Peachtree 10K on 4th of July

photo IMG_0444_zpszffnxzu6.jpg

Group of veterans, members of Team RWB (Red White Blue)

photo IMG_0446_zpsosairnii.jpg

My friend Karen volunteered for this one.  Thanks!

photo IMG_0447_zpssjifohoq.jpg

Karen is my sister from another mister. 

photo IMG_0451_zpsgzmnz5un.jpg

With Race Director John Purnell, also a veteran, amazing guy, who does a lot for our running community.   Quite the darn speedy runner too when he was a runner.

photo IMG_0449_zpss3uaph3u.jpg

Here's the long and the short of it...

photo IMG_0450_zpseitaaspw.jpg

He ran the 10K, his son was a course volunteer.

photo IMG_0452_zpsudsclcwv.jpg

Had my flash on for the one above...duhhhh... I will let Ric decide which one he likes best.

photo IMG_0453_zps706jzu9h.jpg

MC Mark Purnell and George

photo IMG_0454_zps26kztdiz.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Out-and-back from Bluebonnet Palace., one loop for the 5K, two loops for the 10K.  A couple of wide flat roads took us out from the start and into an industrial park area we did a loop through, coming back to the road we came out on to head back to the finish.  Not the most scenic route, lol, but very functional with wide roads and just about no traffic at all.  There were a couple of climbs through the industrial area, but then it was flat flat flat all the way to the finish.  For speedy runners – of which I am not one, lol – this is actually a pretty good course to shoot for a 5K PR.  I felt pretty good and even managed to pass a couple of people on the way to the finish.  I also caught up to my friend Ric near the finish and passed him – first time I ever finished ahead of him in a 5K, and then I realized he was doing the 10K, lol… duhhhhh…   I  ended up with 33 minutes and change.

I was in proximity of this lady until about mile 2

photo IMG_0455_zpsbjfji8xn.jpg

This guy was also doing the 5K.  He caught up to me at my first walk break and I never caught him again.

photo IMG_0456_zpso8p82zig.jpg

Thanks, water volunteer

photo IMG_0457_zpsj2jpjjrw.jpg

Thank you, officer!

photo IMG_0458_zpsb1hz4wrg.jpg

Mile 1 and heading up one of the course hills...more like a long incline than a hill...

photo IMG_0459_zpsfh1angez.jpg

Heading to Mile 2.  Our nice views of industrial buildings and offices, lol.

photo IMG_0460_zpsbrwd1vxs.jpg

photo IMG_0461_zpsz6fgcq2s.jpg

photo IMG_0462_zpsrndymms3.jpg

photo IMG_0463_zpsmkvd8jj5.jpg

Heading to the finish.  This guy was on his 2nd loop for the 10K

photo IMG_0464_zpsxj2v2rqd.jpg

Guys coming toward me were 10K folks on their 2nd loop.  A couple of the guys ahead of me were 10K folks finishing up their first loop.

photo IMG_0465_zpsaxm2razf.jpg

Done!  And got a photo of our timers after I crossed the line.

photo IMG_0466_zps17k0lvdx.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

After a bit of a cool-down walk, enjoyed chatting with friends and getting a few more photos of people already finished and some others coming in.

With the 5K guy that was ahead of me.

photo IMG_0467_zpsyq6mvi2q.jpg

His speedy daughter did the 5K too.  I think she finished under 29 minutes.

photo IMG_0468_zps5dl9zmvi.jpg

5K runner coming in

photo IMG_0469_zps2mnzwrve.jpg

Clowning with friend Jill, who also did the 5K

photo IMG_0470_zpssmunhodw.jpg

This guy was first 10K finisher in 47 minutes and something.

photo IMG_0471_zpskvnxbw3u.jpg

10K finisher

photo IMG_0472_zpshwxi5dzt.jpg

My friend Woody finishing up his 10K

photo IMG_0473_zps2qseuhns.jpg

Happy finishers and supporters

photo IMG_0475_zps4lafujhj.jpg

photo IMG_0476_zps133qyai1.jpg

photo IMG_0478_zpsardyeg0i.jpg

10K runner bringing it in with the flag.

photo IMG_0477_zpsbtfhzlen.jpg

photo IMG_0479_zpspekxexty.jpg

EPILOGUE

For a small race, very nicely done after-party.  Cold beverages and a choice of grilled brisket tacos or sausage tacos…or both! Very enjoyable.  Nice relaxing post-race, talking and laughing with friends and enjoying the goodies.  Also, as said before, finisher medals for everyone.

Bluebonnet Palace is also a nice venue for an event, as it has really good facilities and plenty of parking for everyone – even for a more crowded event than the one we had.   The course, as said, has very wide roads so can accommodate a lot of runners and walkers.  Sometimes I don’t understand why more race directors – especially those that have large events -  insist on using smaller parks for their events rather than finding someplace like this that can accommodate a whole lot of people.  Maybe it has something to do with the calendar; Bluebonnet Palace is a popular venue and has several various types of events here over the year.  Anyway, certainly enjoyed myself at this one and would do it again, and recommend it to others.

Mucho thanks to John Purnell and his volunteers out there for us and to Mark Purnell for being our MC, and to the guys that did the grilling for us.  Thanks also to the police officers out there for us at the intersections we had to traverse and, of course, to Bluebonnet Palace for use of the venue, and anyone else I may not have mentioned here, if I missed you, apologies. 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

Do you keep track of how many races you've done overall? I saw this article on Facebook the other day and made me wonder if you had a similar total.

GinnyinPA

Too bad there were so few runners, but I imagine the weather scared some people off.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Do you keep track of how many races you've done overall? I saw this article on Facebook the other day and made me wonder if you had a similar total.

Yes, I keep track.  I have done 39 races this year so far.

My all-time high was 91 races done in 2018.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Too bad there were so few runners, but I imagine the weather scared some people off.

They lost out, it actually felt pretty nice out there, and we had a nice small party afterwards.

GinnyinPA

Yes, I keep track.  I have done 39 races this year so far.

My all-time high was 91 races done in 2018.

I think she meant lifetime total of races. Given how many years you've been running and how many races you do, it's probably in the thousands.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Yep, I was wondering if you were over 2000.