Beginners and Beyond

B&B Miles game ideas (Read 26 times)

Cyberic

I was thinking maybe we could do a miles game here. Here is a suggestion.

Game is individual

Players’ weekly target is simply the average of their last 3 years (all of us have been here for 3 years, right?), per week.

Scoring per week ranges from 0 to 20 points like this:

• If you hit your weekly mileage you get 10 points
    • You get 1 extra point for each 10% completed over your goal, to a max of 100% (or 10 extra points)
    • You lose a point for each 10% under target.

Example: For a runner whose weekly goal is 40 miles, each 10% is 4 miles.

38 miles = 10 points (Less that 10% under, so no point deducted)

43 miles = 10 points (Less than 10% over, no bonus point)

1 mile = 1 point. Ninety something percent is not 100%, so 9 points deducted

No sandbagging, as it is the average of your last 3 years. It is what it is.

A low mileage runner is not at a disadvantage over a high mileage runner

Individual, so someones else slacking doesn’t affect you

Opinions? Another idea?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I like the idea, but at what point do we get a gold star? Big grin

Damaris

sdWhiskers

Sure, sounds fun.

I'm assume you will keep track of this for us? 

KCRuns

Sounds fun! Count me in!

Cyberic

Sure, sounds fun.

I'm assume you will keep track of this for us? 

Well, that kind of is the problem. A year is a long time. I could probably start the thing, make the calculations (not very hard), but I’m not going to feel like going through everyone’s log to get the weekly mileage week after week. 

I’m thinking maybe I could make a shared google drive spreadsheet, or a shared O365 Excel spreadsheet that many of us would have access to, so I would not be the only one having to maintain it. But then the details and results would not be posted here, and it can suck to have to follow a link...

I have to figure these logistics out, because eric is not going to do it for us.

sdWhiskers

I’m thinking maybe I could make a shared google drive spreadsheet, or a shared O365 Excel spreadsheet that many of us would have access to, so I would not be the only one having to maintain it. But then the details and results would not be posted here, and it can suck to have to follow a link...

Most of us can barely figure out how to post a picture here 

Maybe you could get us started on an excel file (like first 3 months of the year) then pass off the duties to someone else for next 3 months, etc. I volunteer to help do it, just not for the entire year.

KCRuns

Maybe you could get us started on an excel file (like first 3 months of the year) then pass off the duties to someone else for next 3 months, etc. I volunteer to help do it, just not for the entire year.

I would volunteer to help maintain it as well, we could rotate.  Maybe we could have a weekly post that each participant has to post their mileage to by a certain time for it to count.  That way, we only have to go to one spot to gather all the data.  If someone doesn't post their info, then they don't get credit for that week.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I would volunteer to help maintain it as well, we could rotate.  Maybe we could have a weekly post that each participant has to post their mileage to by a certain time for it to count.  That way, we only have to go to one spot to gather all the data.  If someone doesn't post their info, then they don't get credit for that week.

That’s how the miles game was originally. With fewer people it shouldn’t be too time consuming.

Damaris

Cyberic

I'll do something today or at least soon. I have an idea for a 2 or 3 tab Excel.

Since there isn't many of us, if most actually give their mileage every week, I wouldn't mind getting it in someone's log who forgot or is too busy. Log needs to be public, of course.

Cyberic

Runner Score
                      Baboon 0
                      BerthaSlayer 0
                      Bluerun 0
                      Cyberic 0
                      DavePNW 0
                      Docket_Rocket 0
                      FreeSoul87 0
                      GinnyinPA 0
                      Half Crazy K 2.0 0
                      KCRuns 0
                      Lauren 0
                      LRB 0
                      Onemile 0
                      RuningOnSand 0
                      Runshortii 0
                      sdWhiskers 0
                      wcrunner2 0
                      wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'll do something today or at least soon. I have an idea for a 2 or 3 tab Excel.

Since there isn't many of us, if most actually give their mileage every week, I wouldn't mind getting it in someone's log who forgot or is too busy. Log needs to be public, of course.

Should we all use the same week ending day, e.g. Sunday like the 2020 In 2020 does?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Cyberic

Should we all use the same week ending day, e.g. Sunday like the 2020 In 2020 does?

Yup, it needs to be consistent across the players.

onemile

if your weekly goal is 20 miles, you can run 40 miles and get 20 points

If your weekly goal is 60 miles, you need to run 120 miles to get the same 

Cyberic

if your weekly goal is 20 miles, you can run 40 miles and get 20 points

If your weekly goal is 60 miles, you need to run 120 miles to get the same 

Yup, it's a scoring system I'm trying. It costs me 0 to try it, and I think it evens out over the year.

If someone has run an average of 20 miles/week in the last 3 years, and that person runs consistently 40 miles/week, that person deserves to win in this game. My guess is that a person who has had an average of 20 miles / week in the last 3 years who runs 35 and 40 miles weeks once in a while probably runs a couple of 0 mile weeks in the year.

The points also top out at 20. So if that person runs a 60 mile week, he/she still gets "only" 20 points.

Maybe it will be a shitty game, but it's simple, it is based on miles, it is based not on pledges but on your own self's history, and you can't have teammates carry you or scrap all your efforts. I think this scoring system is better than the RA miles game, and maybe I'm wrong, but it will happen. The Excel file is already made, I have volunteers who will help me, so why not?

ETA: It might put higher mileage runners at a disadvantage, but I'm not sure of that. My target weekly mileage will be about 70, so running over 63 and under 77 will score me 10 points. I expect a whole lot of 10 points weeks over the year, lol.

A lower mileage runner (ex 20 miles) will hit extra points more easily, but a mere 2 miles below target and it is 1 point deduction...

I was thinking of extra "consistency" points, but Excel is a shitty system to program in. I was thinking something like a rolling 3 weeks of hitting your goal is 1 extra point, and an rolling 6 weeks would be worth 2 points ( or something like that). But, as I said, it would be too complicated to program that in Excel, so no consistency points.