Beginners and Beyond

Womens's 3000 meter controversy (Read 125 times)

LRB

And now there is this:

The USATF has provided no open and transparent process to support the disqualification of Gabriele Grunewald at the 2014 USA Indoor Track and Field Championships, depriving her of a chance to represent her country at the World Indoor Track and Field Championships.

It is absolutely essential that this information be released to the public to allow the sport of track and field to move away from abject corruption and bring the focus back to the athletes. Sign this petition if you would like to see the conclusive evidence, make USATF more accoutable, and contribute to fair competition for all track and field athletes.

Sign this petition to tell USATF that you want fair competitions and open petitions/appeals processes.

(link) to petition.

Love the Half

I'm in the Grunewald camp but it's possible after she felt contact Hasay was thrown off stride and moving to the right was unintentional. I can't imagine why Hasay would just give up the inside lane to Grunewald unless you're accusing Hasy of intentional blocking. It looked like Grunewald was behind her rather than on her shoulder when Hasay moved to the right.

I'm not accusing Hasay of deliberately moving out to block.  I'm just saying that the contact wouldn't have happened if Hasay hadn't moved out and it was incidental in any case.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

To me the controversy isn't what happened on the track as much as how everything went down afterwards with what the USATF did in their appeals process and Nike involvement.

LRB

Agreed.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

To me the controversy isn't what happened on the track as much as how everything went down afterwards with what the USATF did in their appeals process and Nike involvement.

Yes.  What part of letting go does Salazar not get?

Damaris

LRB

Yes.  What part of letting go does Salazar not get?

Except that he got his way so maybe now everyone else has to let it go?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Except that he got his way so maybe now everyone else has to let it go?

Yes, that's probably what he thinks.

Damaris

happylily

That's an upsetting decision... I hate to think that corporations have something to say in those matters. But I guess that's how it works if I understand what is going on well? Or is it just Salazar's doing?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

aplodder

Susan

http://jordanhasay.com/statement-on-the-usatf-indoor-championships/

Jordan Hasay just posted this link on Twitter.  If she withdraws "her" (more likely Salazar and Nike's)  protest, does that mean the DQ is void?

StepbyStep-SH

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

No more marathons

USATF has reversed it's reversed ruling (got that?).  Grunewald  is back in as champ.

Hats off to Hasay for taking the high road.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

StepbyStep-SH

USATF has reversed it's reversed ruling (got that?).  Grunewald  is back in as champ.

+1.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRB

Yes! She gets her title back!

Thanks for the link, which is as follows from Competitor:

Jordan Hasay withdraws her protest, forfeits spot on world team.

In yet another bizarre turn of events, Gabriele Grunewald has been reinstated as the 2014 U.S. indoor women’s 3,000-meter champion and named to Team USA for the 2014 IAAF World Indoor Championships to be held in Sopot, Poland from March 7-9, USATF CEO Max Siegel announced Monday.

According to a release sent out by USA Track & Field on Monday, Siegel spoke with representatives for Grunewald and Jordan Hasay, the two athletes who made contact with one another in the women’s 3,000 final on Saturday in Albuquerque. Grunewald kicked past Hasay and her Nike Oregon Project teammate Shannon Rowbury to win the race in 9:23.15. Rowbury was second, Sara Vaughn took third and Hasay crossed in fourth. Later in the day, after two rounds of appeals, Grunewald was disqualified by the Jury of Appeal for clipping Hasay’s stride.

The final disqualification was made on the basis of enlarged, digital footage of the legs and feet of both athletes, according to USA Track & Field.

Siegel’s spoke with Grunewald’s agent, Paul Doyle, as well as Alberto Salazar, Hasay’s coach who filed the initial protest and subsequent appeals on Saturday.

“I had productive discussions with both Paul and Alberto,” Siegel said. “Both are passionate people who passionately advocate for their athletes. And both want what is best for the sport and as well and its athletes. Our women’s track & field meet officials, who volunteer their time to serve the sport, made a field-of-play decision based on the video evidence they saw. They followed the process laid out in our competition rules, with no USATF employee or officer part of the appeal or the decision. We are all looking forward and will address our processes to try to minimize the potential for controversy or misunderstanding in the future.”

LRB

She should be commended, no one would want to race under a cloud like that.

http://jordanhasay.com/statement-on-the-usatf-indoor-championships/

Jordan Hasay just posted this link on Twitter.  If she withdraws "her" (more likely Salazar and Nike's)  protest, does that mean the DQ is void?

Had the disqualification stood I do not believe so. If you are DQ'd you are DQ'd and aren't eligible even if someone pulls out. They would go to the next qualified runner. Haven't looked up the rules but I think that is right.