Beginners and Beyond

Week 39 Penguins be careful, don't fall!! (09/22-09/28) (Read 6 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is the first day of fall, and also National Falls Prevention Awareness Day.  Over in the Master's forum, rule #1 is don't run in the rain.  Rule #2 is don't fall!  I talked to my mom yesterday and my dad had the grandkids out bike riding on Saturday.  The oldest (14) somehow managed to skid his bike and ended up with some pretty good road rash.  Then apparently my dad decided to hop on a bike in their driveway, got himself tangled up, and he is also sporting some pretty good road rash.

There's a reason I ride on 3 wheels!!

And speaking of which, biking and yoga done.  My stiffness finally outweighed my desire to sleep in, and I got back on my yoga mat.  It's going to take a week or so to work out the kinks, I think.

Ginny, sounds like an awesome couple of weeks!!  I'm quite jealous.  Teaching a class this semester, even once a week, has put a crimp in our fall vacation ideas.  I'd like to go camping, and might still pull it off, but it would have to be a mid-week thing.

Docket, happy belated birthday, and congrats on the new house!!!  Hope the move goes smoothly.

Can I just say, pet fur gets EVERYWHERE!!  I'm looking at dog hair in the hinges of my laptop.  Sheesh!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Haha.  Too late for that!  I fell in the shower on Saturday.  Lucky I didn't kill myself.

I have 8 on the office gym TM tonight.

HopesMom, I know that furry feeling.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

Golden retrievers shed a lot. Ben especially seems to molt in the fall. I get white clumps everywhere this time of year.

I don't have a lot of trouble with falling. Jim does. It's worrisome.

HM - Nice job on the yoga and biking today.

D - good luck getting your miles in without the TM at home.

RD for me. It's hot and sticky, so I'm just as happy to be taking it easy indoors.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hot and sticky, definitely!!  I miss that tease of fall we had.  Though the real thing will be here soon enough, and then I'll be freezing my parts off complaining about the cold!

Yoga and biking done today.  I noticed I'm moving around a little easier ... oh yeah, yoga.    Why do I ever stop doing that?

I ordered some bulk corn (3 doz ears) so that I could put up some corn in the freezer this year.  I haven't done that before, so it should be interesting.  But it's one of those skills my grandmother and mom knew/know, and I just haven't asked and gotten the info, so it's lost if anything happens to my mother.  Although, since I don't have kids, now it's also lost if anything happens to me!    But hey, corn.  Hoping DH can find room in our freezer, cause it looks like I'm putting up corn this weekend!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, all!!  Can't believe it's only Wednesday.  Because I have nearly 5 weeks of vacation accrued, I decided to take a Wednesday off every pay period, or nearly every other week, between now and the end of the year.  Last week was my first one, and it was altogether wonderful!  Unfortunately my next one isn't until October 9th.  I picked that day because we have dentist appointments, so it can be a sick day instead of a vacation day.  5 day work weeks suck! 

Yoga and biking done today.  Woo-hoo!

GinnyinPA

HM - that's a nice idea, getting the midweek break. Better than accruing vacation time you can't use.

I have 6 today. It's a lovely day, so I'll probably do it sooner rather than later. Our walk with Ben was a good one.

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, it's not fall yet, but the nights are beginning to feel like it.  We've opened our windows at night this week, and it's lovely sleeping weather!  Too bad my alarm keeps going off at 5:30 ...

Yoga and biking done.  I do yoga partly to help my achy knees, and they have been protesting loudly since Scotland.  Today was the first day child's pose wasn't torturous.  Still painful, but I can see light at the end of the tunnel.  You'd think by now I'd realize the train track is made up of yoga ... stay on the track, doofus!    Chorus rehearsal tonight!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Haha.  Too late for that!  I fell in the shower on Saturday.  Lucky I didn't kill myself.

I have 8 on the office gym TM tonight.

HopesMom, I know that furry feeling.

I have been cleared to run again and did a very slow 2.8 miles on Thursday morning.  Pacemaker seems to be performing well.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Scott - terrific news.

HM - we've had our windows open at night too. I love having the cooler air. I'm glad yoga helps the knees. It doesn't seem to make much difference for me.

10.1 miles for me.

Singer who runs a smidge

Scotty, woo-hoo!!

RD here.  I'd planned to bike, but then I thought, "Hey, my birthday is tomorrow.  Perhaps I will stop by and get those doughnuts that I love for us for breakfast tomorrow!"  Which means no biking, because can you imagine the fate of doughnuts in my bike basket?

Yeah, my grand plans for tomorrow:  Eat doughnuts.  Bake myself a cake.  Put up 3 dozen ears of corn. 

GinnyinPA

Sounds like a good plan. For my birthday, I usually like to get Entemann's raspberry Danish or the cinnamon rolls that one of our local bakeries makes. They make a good carrot cake too. Lots of cream cheese frosting!