Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race Number 4: Martin Luther King 5K (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.

Full report below.   

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%20Race%20Reports/2019%20Race%20Number%204%20Martin%20Luther%20King%205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 4th race of 2019 was the Martin Luther King 5K held on January 20th in San Antonio at Martin Luther King Park.  This event supports the Young Men’s Leadership Academy, San Antonio’s first all-boy public school, grades 4 – 9.  Unlike the 5K I did on Jan 19th which had periodic wind gusts up to 35 mph, there was pretty much no wind for this one, but it was colder than Saturday, with a temp around start time of about 39 – 40 degrees.  Also, clear blue skies and lots of bright sunshine. This was the 3rd annual holding of the race and I have done all of them since it began, so this has become a ‘streak’ race for me to continue to do in years ahead. I grew up in the Washington, D.C, area, so I do this one in honor and memory of my late mother who worked for the Washington Post and instilled in me to always look at WHO someone is, not WHAT someone is.  That advice stood me well during my Air Force days when I served quite a bit overseas – 18 out of my 24 years served was overseas duty – and was open to learning all I could about the people and their cultures, customs, etc., where I was at any given time, and made friends with people of all races and cultures, some that still last to this day. 

Start time of 9 a.m.  I arrived about an hour before start time, got my timing chip, and then wandered around getting some photos. There were about 500 participants for this one.

Our MC, Terry, with his lovely "sister"

photo IMG_1922_zpsmk31sscf.jpg

Terry and family.  They have a pretty good race coming up themselves that they help put on in March: Harp and Shamrock 5K.

photo IMG_1923_zps5f9pof7f.jpg

Our Music Man, staying warm - it was darn chilly for a while there - and playing away.  At least we participants got to move around.

photo IMG_1924_zpsjmk7jnkn.jpg

iaap team setting up for timing, results, etc.  Thanks!

photo IMG_1925_zps4dfvmvhd.jpg

Thank you, Race Day volunteers, who had to be out there early in the cold.

photo IMG_1926_zpslihequ3a.jpg

photo IMG_1927_zpseewjeq67.jpg

photo IMG_1929_zpswklscfrd.jpg

Various participants, supporters, etc

photo IMG_1928_zpsuuzplnwd.jpg

photo IMG_1930_zpsinhx1iwp.jpg

photo IMG_1931_zpsg54gyvji.jpg

These ladies modeled the race shirt for me.  Thank you.  Very colorful and bright nice long-sleeved tee.

photo IMG_1936_zpsewgq5ltf.jpg

The race organizers staff of the Young Men's Leadership Academy surprised me today with my own 'special" race shirt. putting this on the back of my shirt.

photo IMG_1933_zpsikzy8zpc.jpg

With friends Don and Julie

photo IMG_1934_zpssim3qlj1.jpg

Dog friendly event

photo IMG_1935_zps8xca5ar7.jpg

Yeah, it was a tad cold before we got started

photo IMG_1937_zpsbqhzf1h2.jpg

photo IMG_1938_zpswyhv7fvp.jpg

photo IMG_1939_zpsbezyhxoc.jpg

photo IMG_1940_zpsu4le8xgl.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Out-and-back course on the park’s asphalt trails. I like this park because it is mostly asphalt trails, hardly any concrete at all, so much nicer to my knees and back.  We also crossed over a park bridge, once going out and once going back, and that thing was quite ‘bouncy’ with a lot of people going over it.  Some of you friends of mine know my history with bridges and water; for this one I managed not to fall off the bridge and get a dunking, lol.   After making the turn-round point and taking my last walk break, I was feeling pretty good and picked up the pace a bit.  I surprised myself by finishing in 32:43 chip time,, and my fastest mile was 9:36. I didn’t even know I could run under 10 minute miles, lol.  My time was good enough for 1st place in my 60 – 69 age group, but in all honesty, there were a lot of young people at this event, not too many old geezers like me and all the speedy guys my age were probably doing a different race. I think there were only 2 in my age group too, lol.  Even so, I’ll take it.

photo IMG_1941_zpsszxp0ud8.jpg

photo IMG_1942_zpsrsbixevi.jpg

photo IMG_1943_zpspggkshsg.jpg

photo IMG_1944_zpsfa2whubm.jpg

photo IMG_1945_zpsc2n2dosx.jpg

photo IMG_1946_zps6uxvvblm.jpg

photo IMG_1947_zpsueoazzor.jpg

photo IMG_1948_zpsdadi1bf0.jpg

photo IMG_1949_zpsaapxv9e9.jpg

photo IMG_1950_zpsybhlbhga.jpg

photo IMG_1951_zpsciilgwnt.jpg

photo IMG_1952_zps76u0q6il.jpg

photo IMG_1953_zpsex334o8e.jpg

photo IMG_1954_zpsatltiik8.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Got my results, got some water and a banana, walked around cooling down and relaxing, and then it was off to get some photos of various happy finishers, volunteers, supporters, etc.

photo IMG_1955_zpsdw9atzxm.jpg

photo IMG_1956_zpsh31t4rtj.jpg

photo IMG_1957_zpsjhnbhwre.jpg

photo IMG_1958_zpskmmtde4r.jpg

photo IMG_1959_zpsyqejsp4l.jpg

photo IMG_1960_zpsnaxbzhpf.jpg

photo IMG_1961_zpstfdecfaa.jpg

photo IMG_1962_zpsltft9wat.jpg

photo IMG_1963_zps5wq0kdly.jpg

photo IMG_1964_zpsnbwzdyx6.jpg

photo IMG_1965_zpsgtgk8vqx.jpg

photo IMG_1966_zpsbve9v6kb.jpg

photo IMG_1967_zpsaduvszpf.jpg

photo IMG_1969_zpsjhroulvq.jpg

With my longest running friend, Bernadette

photo IMG_1968_zpsgg2ypjq2.jpg

My friend, Krista, one of my favorite people

photo IMG_1971_zpskxrze2lp.jpg

With my awesome friend, Lena.  I won't reveal her age, but let's say she is one inspiring lady out there, still going strong.

photo IMG_1972_zpsaoscbvjq.jpg

Time for Terry to announce the age group winners.

photo IMG_1970_zps1a0hiqin.jpg

First in 60 - 69 age group.   Had to wait a while, since awards started with the youngest groups.  Race Directors really need so tart with the old guys first cuz, you know, we have to go home and get our nap in after a race. 

photo IMG_1974_zpsqni7phpb.jpg

photo IMG_1976_zpsoenqiv3d.jpg

Bernadette, 1st in her age group.

photo IMG_1977_zpsiayhmjba.jpg

My awesome friend Don, 70+, finished in 32:11.   I finished 32 seconds behind him. 

photo IMG_1978_zpsf5fdvv6f.jpg

A group of friends, all age group medalists for this one.  Mary K, 2nd from left, is truly awesome.  In 2014, she finished her 1,000th race, and has done many more since then.  She has also run a race in EVERY Texas county - and there are  a lot of counties in Texas.

photo IMG_1979_zps9orpixm1.jpg

EPILOGUE

Nice event at a great running location.  The trails in this park are mainly pretty flat, with just a few very small inclines, makes for some nice running and racing.  Post-race there was water, various fruits, and other small items.  This is not an ‘all-out’ after party kind of race like the Scallywompus folks have, but that’s okay, the majority of proceeds go for the students, and that’s all to the good. There was a DJ playing music; the race shirts are really nice quality long-sleeved cotton tees, and the sponsors at the tables there had some nice give-aways too.  I really enjoy doing this event; will do it again; and would recommend it to others.

Also, for you speedier runners, this course is a really good one to shoot for a PR as mostly flat as it is.  May be a problem for the people mid-or-back-of-the pack, it does get crowded in that group along the trail – but even so, plenty of room for everyone to maneuver – but if you are a front pack or near-the-front pack runner, as said, good course to shoot for a PR.

The only problem with this event – which is beyond the control of  the organizers, they can’t magically increase the acreage of the park, lol -  is that parking area is kind of small, so parking is always a bit of an issue here – even though the Wheatley Heights sports complex is right next door to this park, and there is plenty of parking there, but the parking fee to use that facility is crazy, especially for a small school on a tight budget. So everyone fit in and found parking the best they could and it all seemed okay.  Maybe something can be worked out with the folks at Wheatley in the future, they are pretty good people, and give the MLK event a bit of a break.

Mucho thanks to all the folks who made this one happen for us; all the organizers, volunteers, sponsors, iaapweb for timing, and results; photographers out there for us;  Park Police officers that were out there for us – I saw a couple - and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Thank you for what you do so we participants can have this race.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt