Beginners and Beyond

Stress Fractured Tibia need help with XT (Read 37 times)

Thanks LM and Lauren. Yeah the pool running is out of the question. Sounds great though and very impressive setting a PR with it! My ass isn’t happy about the bike for sure LM and I will certainly watch out for any serious issues. I do remember when you had issues with that...ouch. I know my back does not like the bike either but I’ll survive. I appreciate the words of encouragement. Of course I’m crushed, there’s going to be a substantial fitness loss, the weather is getting nice...this is going to be tough but I know what I have to do and will rebuild and come back stronger than before. I also plan on seeing this places PT who specializes in running injures and analysis. I’ve had too many lower leg issues. Peroneal Tendonitis, posterior shin splint, and now a SFX. I’m doing something wrong. LM, you read Hudson....he swears by hill sprints for athletes who get injured. I’m thinking I will add these to my training for sure. Are you still doing these?

Yes!  I had cut them out for a couple years, thinking they were aggravating my AT issues, but those have been fine so I added them back in.  I've probably been back to doing them for about 9 months now (maybe a little longer).  I feel like they definitely build a lot of strength.  I re-read several Hudson sources (the book, articles, interviews) to make sure I was doing them right, and so far, so good.

Remember to keep your core engaged while you are riding.  That helps save your back muscles from doing all the work.  I used to feel like I'd done a thousand situps after a good spin class, but it's all about being really mindful of your posture.  Also, adjust the bike everywhere until it's right--the seat height, move it forward/backward, and you can usually move the handlebars both vertically and horizontally.  If you can get the fit right, it helps a lot.

Remember to keep your core engaged while you are riding.  That helps save your back muscles from doing all the work.  I used to feel like I'd done a thousand situps after a good spin class, but it's all about being really mindful of your posture.  Also, adjust the bike everywhere until it's right--the seat height, move it forward/backward, and you can usually move the handlebars both vertically and horizontally.  If you can get the fit right, it helps a lot.

Thanks . Ive been trying to rotate the recumbent bike and regular one to save my back. I will try and be more mindful of my posture for sure. It's all new to me.

Ok now I definitely plan on adding the hills sprints. I did them as I followed a Hudson plan for my first 2 HMs and I think they really helped. I started reading Daniels and he's like "DO NOT DO THEM"....Oldfartrunner would tell me the same so I stopped. I think what actually caused this injury was this one super hilly 12er I did. (pain started 2 days after)  I was going DOWN some steep ass hills. I plan on keeping any downhill running to a bare minimum as my form sucks going downhill.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

What Running on Sand said.

Sorry you don't have access to a pool.  This is what really helped me after I had knee surgery. Wore an aqua-jogger around my waist and ran in deep end of the pool, so no body impact.  Was really surprised after I was given the go-ahead to run again how much this pool running had helped me come back quicker.

I wish you a speedy recovery!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Just a little update: Got the MRI done and the report back. It says “No sign of fracture”. It’s pretty much a miracle. Going to the follow up Ortho appt tomorrow am. Hopefully will be getting some good news

Its been 3 weeks of no running. I’ve been cycling like a mad man so if i can get back to it, any fitness loss will be very minimal. There has been ZERO pain for 3 weeks also so I think that’s pretty good.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

RunningOnSand

Just a little update: Got the MRI done and the report back. It says “No sign of fracture”. It’s pretty much a miracle. Going to the follow up Ortho appt tomorrow am. Hopefully will be getting some good news

Its been 3 weeks of no running. I’ve been cycling like a mad man so if i can get back to it, any fitness loss will be very minimal. There has been ZERO pain for 3 weeks also so I think that’s pretty good.

Nice!!! That is awesome!!! Let us know when you resume to running, and what your doc says tomorrow at the appointment!

GinnyinPA

Terrific news. I hope your return to running goes well.

Guess who just got cleared to run again   YES! I actually stopped at the park on my way home and ran a victory lap (2.4M) It felt great to move my legs again.

Doc said it was a "stress response". More than a shin splint but definitely not a sfx from the MRI. Great news. He advised me to just build back mileage as Ive done in the past like first 1-2wks 50% of pre injury volume and move up from there. I also scheduled an appt with the physical therapy place to have a running assessment and gait analysis done. Thats on May 9th.

My season isn't over. I can still race some short races this spring/summer. Will start planning my build up for a fall HM soon too!

KCRuns

That's awesome!  The very best outcome Smile

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yay!

Damaris