Beginners and Beyond

Humpday WednesDAILIES (Read 44 times)

oldfartrunner

Ok, I get it now Smile Garmin is needle free. I wonder how valid or how close to reality Garmin's LT estimation is. The article talks about BSXInsight, which is supposedly pretty good (from the article), but what about Garmin???

Not that I need my LT value to know my Easy pace. It is a pace that lets me run 60-70 mile weeks, with a couple of workouts, and still have some energy left for work and family. No friends, though. Not enough energy for that anymore.

Don't know?  I think for most people calculators are good enough. If you train in between MP (aerobic threshold), and 15K/10mile pace(lactate threshold) , you will improve your threshold. It's not that much rocket science as some coaches make it, IMO. Smile

Runshortii: Nice work. Smile I like short intervals (400s-200s) with 200 JR. Helps V02 max and threshold too, with the short rests.

Onemile: Hay is in the barn. Take more rest!

I got 5 more, so 13 for the day. Smile

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

11 with 5 @ 9:50mm. I tried to run the MP and see what happened.  It finally felt hard enough to say I am close to where the MP should be.

Damaris

LRB

I think in general a lot of people do their easy runs too hard when they're just starting out running. Sometimes newer runners feel like every run needs to be super hard and leave you feeling completely wiped at the end.

My first year running, I think I ran every run at 5k effort. #idiot

Cyberic

My first hear running, I think I ran every run at 5k effort. #idiot

I did the same too, but I don't think it was stupid in the sense that it motivated me. I'm not sure I would have liked running if you would have told me to run for an hour at 11:00-12:00 pace. I ran 4 laps around the park as fast as I could. Beating my PR almost every time out. The good ol'days. After that, a friend got me into registering for a 10K. #idiot 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Talking about 10Ks, I registered for one next Sunday (the 19th).  #doubleidiot 

Damaris

oldfartrunner

I'm guilty of running too fast too back in the day  but got a good lesson running with my ex-bil and his friend who were 30 min 10kers in college, and could still run 31-32.They were running super easy being nice to me, and I got impatient and got out in front of them. Bad mistake. Sad They proceeded to drop my ass in a heartbeat. And then they would slow and let me catch up, and do it again. And they were just talking and running easy and I was gasping and couldn't keep up! So learned a lot about even fast people can run pretty easy and still get benefit from it. And you really don't realize how fast a good runner can run until you run with them awhile and they run their "normal" pace.

Another time we did a track workout and I said I was going trying to keep up with him for 400 intervals.   He just laughed. I did for about 2-3, and was still behind him a few seconds or more. Sad  He said, "I told you that you were running them too fast", when we he got done-way before me.   Learned a lot about running the correct pace for your ability doing intervals then too. Smile

Damaris: Nice job!... 10k! Alright!   Mothers milk! I'm leaning toward a 5K for Turkey day?

Coastal

JayB:  Yep, you sound about ready.  

Got out to the Y today and did a pretty light workout.  Did about a mile on elliptical machines to test things out.  Will have to see how things are tomorrow.

Interesting discussion on too fast, too slow, just right.

Runshortii

I was originally planning on not doing a fall marathon because I’m getting married in September and thought it would be too much with the honeymoon. Well we’ve decided to wait until the winter to go on a honeymoon.

Im already registered for a May marathon in hopes of running a BQ and running Boston in 2019, and if I don’t qualify in May but I’m close, knowing me I’ll probably want to run an early September marathon. Or maybe after May I’ll be sick of marathon training. But now I really want to register for Chicago  especially since I just realized I do qualify under their time qualifier after all.

I was originally planning on not doing a fall marathon because I’m getting married in September and thought it would be too much with the honeymoon. Well we’ve decided to wait until the winter to go on a honeymoon.

Im already registered for a May marathon in hopes of running a BQ and running Boston in 2019, and if I don’t qualify in May but I’m close, knowing me I’ll probably want to run an early September marathon. Or maybe after May I’ll be sick of marathon training. But now I really want to register for Chicago  especially since I just realized I do qualify under their time qualifier after all.

It's a sickness.

Dave

Bert-o

I lost my rama

But now I really want to register for Chicago  especially since I just realized I do qualify under their time qualifier after all.

Do it!  It's a fantastic and fun race - time goal, or no time goal.  You'll have no regrets.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Runshortii,  congrats on the wedding and yes to Chicago. Smile

Damaris