Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #144 (Read 31 times)

Apparently in two weeks there’s going to be a 5K/10K an hour from me. Limited to 500 runners and each runner gets a starting time and they start 4 runners every 2 minutes

That sounds like an organizational nightmare. They give runners starting times in advance? How do they make sure they all get there in time? There is going to be a huge crowd of people milling around the start waiting their turn, and it will be like an airport gate when they call your boarding zone but there are a bunch of people who haven’t been called yet just standing there in your way. And you actually have to squeeze through them all in a very non-socially distant manner. And even in the extremely unlikely event they are able to pull off the start successfully - how do they control the crowding in the race? Unless the start times are in the exact order of projected finish times, which would be pretty much impossible to coordinate. And 500 runners is still kind of a lot of people.

Dave

sdWhiskers

Went golfing today. And it was actually perfect--plenty of space between groups so didn't interact with anyone. It was so nice mentally to do a normal activity with the family on a beautiful day.

Did see a naked man showering in a water fountain at the adjacent park, lol

GinnyinPA

I deleted the runs from my watch. I was told to do this the first time this happened, a couple of years ago. I also turned off the watch and turned it on again, as I was told to do the second time it happened.

What uploaded to Garmin was my steps for the day, HR data for the day and sleep data. It was just the run data that was supposedly corrupted, though I could look at it on the watch. I didn't go into the run to see if the laps were okay. One time when my run data was corrupted, it lumped several miles together. Another time it just dropped some miles. Today I just noted the total distance and time and didn't bother looking at the rest before I deleted the file.

Did see a naked man showering in a water fountain at the adjacent park, lol

I guess that qualifies as live entertainment these days.

Dave

Cyberic

I deleted the runs from my watch. I was told to do this the first time this happened, a couple of years ago. I also turned off the watch and turned it on again, as I was told to do the second time it happened.

What uploaded to Garmin was my steps for the day, HR data for the day and sleep data. It was just the run data that was supposedly corrupted, though I could look at it on the watch. I didn't go into the run to see if the laps were okay. One time when my run data was corrupted, it lumped several miles together. Another time it just dropped some miles. Today I just noted the total distance and time and didn't bother looking at the rest before I deleted the file.

My guess is that now that the .fit files are deleted, it might fix the issue for your next runs, but I don't see how today's run is ever going to get uploaded. Unless it is stuck on the internetz somewhere.

My guess is that if you want it to appear in Garmin Connect, you'll either have to enter it manually, or export it from Strava or RA and import that back in GC.

I might be wrong on this. Just what I think.

That sounds like an organizational nightmare. They give runners starting times in advance? How do they make sure they all get there in time? There is going to be a huge crowd of people milling around the start waiting their turn, and it will be like an airport gate when they call your boarding zone but there are a bunch of people who haven’t been called yet just standing there in your way. And you actually have to squeeze through them all in a very non-socially distant manner. And even in the extremely unlikely event they are able to pull off the start successfully - how do they control the crowding in the race? Unless the start times are in the exact order of projected finish times, which would be pretty much impossible to coordinate. And 500 runners is still kind of a lot of people.

Back in my youth XC ski races were staggered start with skiers starting every 15 seconds (or thirty), slower started first, fastest last.  Not hard to do and that was decades before chip timing  and computers. Those were Small fields, but with chip timing not hard at all, give runners a ‘time corral’, not a specific time, you just don’t crowd together in a physical corral... just mosey to the start area when it’s your groups time.

first corral 8:30, then an 8:35, 840 ... 9:15.., runners just mosey over just before their time corral.

thats is also like swim meets

LRB

A friend ran the Race For The Green Half Marathon yesterday in South Carolina.

• Social distancing before the race
                • No masks required 
                • 10 second wave starts
                • Groups of 10 in each wave
                • No aid stations on the course
                • Porta potties were cleaned after each use
                • Runners were required to leave immediately after the race

It's not perfect but it's a start. And simply put, we'll either accept these measures as what needs to be done and adapt or we won't race this year (or possibly next year either).

KCRuns

I did 7.3 run/walk outside. I was not prepared for the heat or humidity 

GinnyinPA

My guess is that now that the .fit files are deleted, it might fix the issue for your next runs, but I don't see how today's run is ever going to get uploaded. Unless it is stuck on the internetz somewhere.

My guess is that if you want it to appear in Garmin Connect, you'll either have to enter it manually, or export it from Strava or RA and import that back in GC.

I might be wrong on this. Just what I think.

I don't really care whether it appears on Garmin Connect and I just manually entered the basic distance and time here. It won't appear here if it isn't on Garmin. I deleted my Strava account when they decided to make users pay for everything. I didn't use it much before so I'm certainly not going to pay to use it.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't really care whether it appears on Garmin Connect and I just manually entered the basic distance and time here. It won't appear here if it isn't on Garmin. I deleted my Strava account when they decided to make users pay for everything. I didn't use it much before so I'm certainly not going to pay to use it.

I have never used anything that is now payable by Strava. The free version looks the same as it did before except for minor stuff I never used.

Damaris