Beginners and Beyond

Scotiabank Ottawa Marathon (RR) (Read 84 times)

Hip Redux

You are all over it. I had the same issue with my feet kicking each other sporadically (among other things) while running. I lacked the strength in my hips to keep my legs straight during the follow through.

So I set out on a hip strengthening routine which I did faithfully one off-season. Here's the thing with hip work though; you can do all the single leg squats, hip bridges and single leg bridges on a stability ball in the world, but if you are not doing them with correct form you are exacerbating the problem. This is where a set of trained eyes can help.

In my case, I came to learn that I was doing them totally jacked up (with the hip drop), so it was all for naught. Once properly instructed, I was only going down a quarter of the depth I had been on my left side, which is the side that was weakest. And half depth on the right, but both were a far cry from the full depth that I was doing completely wrong.

While my hip strength has improved drastically, my single leg balance is still a work in progress. But learning what to look for was huge.

Yep. That's a great point.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

+1!   Congrats on your marathon and yet another BQ.  You are amazing!

Yikes on the chafing issues.  I hope you get that figured out quickly.

Regardless of how hard you seem to be on yourself, your racing never ceases to amaze me.  You definitely do it your way, and I can respect the hell out of that. Nice job!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

BTW, that maple leaf race shirt is excellent.

Cyberic

BTW, that maple leaf race shirt is excellent.

Agreed. A club guy was wearing one on Wednesday, and it is one of the nicest race shirts I've seen.

paulski66

miscreant

Hot as ever. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Oh, and nice race, too, chica...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

happylily

PAD, Amy, Brilliant, liana and Scotty, thank you, guys!

Rick, I made an appointment with a group of PT who work with our hockey team, here in Montreal (nothing to do with running, but hopefully they\re worth the money). We'll see what that yields. And yes, you perfectly get the way I feel about marathons. Well said.

Paul, long time no see here. I think I missed you. A bit.  Thanks!

Yes, that shirt is awesome. A bit too big, but very comfortable for running.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Lily, a strong race and excellent report as always. Still boggles my mind that you have run 18 marathons in 5 years. And all of them raced hard, never just going out for a long training run.

It was noteworthy to me how you quickly got past finishing at 3:40+ rather than 3:39+, that it doesn't really matter. Because I recall you made the same point to me, when I finished Detroit at 3:40:32 and agonized over not making it into the 3:30's. I find it really hard to do those mental calculations at the end, with a frazzled marathon brain. Not that my marathon legs would respond anyway.

I also enjoy how you totally own your positive split strategy. I sometimes repeat your line: "Why would you run slow when your body wants to run fast, then try to run fast when your body wants to run slow?" So logical, right? Of course my serial positive splitting is not so much a strategy, as never being sufficiently trained for my goal.

Looking forward to the next one. But, feel free to take a little break.

Dave

Zelanie

Glad you got a solid training run under your belt post-Boston.  Sounds like you might have uncovered some hip issues that could help you out in the long run, too!  Thank you for sharing the report and the pictures.  It definitely made me consider it at some point if I'm looking for a destination marathon. Smile

Congrats to DS and SO on their race, too!

happylily

Dave, thanks. It's true that I don't care so much if the finish time is 3:39, 3:40, or even 4:00 for that matter. Before the race, I panic at the idea of missing my goal. But after the race, I accept whatever is handed to me that day, as long as I know in my heart that I honestly tried. A 4:00 finish time would be perfectly fine with me. For me, there is no shame in any finish time, only in the honesty of the effort you put in that day. My performance in Boston was bordering shameful to me. Not because of the 3:48 time, but because I gave up mentally way too early in the race. I have too much experience with marathons for that type of thing to happen now. I really did poorly that day.

Zelanie, thank you! I was very happy to see SO and DS run this 5k together. It also helped my son understand a bit better what my hobby is all about.

LRB

...But after the race, I accept whatever is handed to me that day, as long as I know in my heart that I honestly tried. 

That is exactly how I view the marathon. In fact it is the only race distance that I do not whine about the result.

outoftheblue

Great pictures and a really strong finish time given everything you were dealing with.  I don't know how you kept running through that bruising/chaffing.   I really hope you get it sorted out.  I see you've gotten a lot of really good advice.  Good luck!

Life is good.

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

a bit late to the party here, but congrats on a meaningful race for you, and sorry about the terrible chafing!  Also glad your SO and DS ran their 5K together.  Who knows, he might yet get into running!

The shirt looks super cool, and great photos as usual.  I love going to Ottawa... but it was a bit warmer than optimal both times I ran it, so I guess it's normal for that time of the year.

As far as the form, I agree that your knee is collapsing too much inwards, either because of fatigue or that back problem you mentioned.  It looks like your gluteus medius is not keeping your hips in proper alignment.  That muscle connects to the pelvic bone, so a bad back could throw it off.  Or you could have been more tired than usual.

In any case, backwards straight leg raises, either standing or lying on your side, is what I used to strengthen it (recommended by a PT).  Point your heel about three-quarters behind you (135 degrees if you are facing 0), and go at it.  Wear heavy boots or ankle weights for better effect.  No stretch band necessary.

Oh, and sign up for Toronto Waterfront if you haven't already!  I'm running it this year, would love to buy you a margarita or two.  You could do better than 3:27 in Toronto if you train well, stay healthy, and don't go crazy (who are we kidding, right?) 

happylily

Thanks a lot OOTB and T.O.!

T.O., I'm registering today for the Waterfront. You gave me the kick I needed to do it.  And thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to incorporate this exercise in my new core routine.

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

Yay!  Good to know your legs are feeling better.  I hope the weather this year is like last year, cool and no significant wind.  The course will run through the new Pan Am village a few months after the games; will be interesting to see what's going on there.

see you around the city, my friend!