Beginners and Beyond

RR - Witch's Hat Half Marathon - 9/6/14 (Read 74 times)

happylily

No, Al Roker. 

Ha! Weather guy in the States who ran a 7h marathon. Right? I think you can beat his time, LRB. I have faith in you. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Crazy awesome job Dave!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

hog4life

Nice running Dave. Congrats on the PR and AG placement. I can't wait to hear about your marathon.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Excellent, Dave. Things are shaping up very nicely for your marathon. I will save my excitement for that RR but this performance was definitely worth a Cadillac.

Great job, Dave.  The most important thing I see here is that you were, for the most part, able to speed up instead of fade as the miles progressed.  Congrats on the sub 1:40, all signs are pointing to a very strong marathon for you.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Great job, Dave.  The most important thing I see here is that you were, for the most part, able to speed up instead of fade as the miles progressed.  Congrats on the sub 1:40, all signs are pointing to a very strong marathon for you.

Echo this.

Very strong showing Dave!  Now don't let up until after the marathon.  Wink

MothAudio

My main purpose for this race was to get an idea of where I am fitness-wise, 6 weeks out from my marathon. My marathon goal time is pretty aggressive I think, so I felt I needed to see whether I could hit an HM time where the race time predictors would tell me I am not kidding myself. That time is 1:40.

People seem to have different opinions of whether this is a good idea. Reasons it is a bad idea:

1. You are not going to be able to run your best HM in the middle of marathon training, so the time may not be meaningful
                2. If you do, you are going to sacrifice too much marathon training, in taper & recovery for the half
                3. If you don't make that training sacrifice, you are going to increase your risk of overtraining/injury
                4. Your ability to hit the proper paces in your marathon training quality workouts should tell you whether you can reach your goal.
                5. The race time predictors suck anyway.

Official time - 1:39:51

I was pretty happy to get the sub-1:40. So I feel a tiny bit better about my marathon goal, except for reason #5 above, which is a pretty big one. The calculators have always been way off for me.

What's your MG? After my 1:39:47 half I knew I could nail 3:35, and one year later bettered that by 5 minutes. Congrats on the big time PB!

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

DavePNW

What's your MG? After my 1:39:47 half I knew I could nail 3:35, and one year later bettered that by 5 minutes. Congrats on the big time PB!

3:30, for BQ. I would feel more comfortable with a 3:35 goal, but you know with that BQ number out there...

I have been using training paces for 3:30; the plan was to see how I held up & make a final goal decision closer to race day. And in the end, maybe more realistically target next spring, because this is just a lot of time to take off in one training cycle - current mara PR is 3:52, set in April.

Plugging my 1:39:51 into McMillan spits out a 3:30:08. Ha! Maybe I can find 8 seconds somewhere. Except for #5 again.

Dave

Ric-G

excellent job and great splits...you are on track! be strong.

marathon pr - 3:16

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your race and your AG award, Dave!

How nice...they named a race after my ex-wife's hat....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

onemile

Congrats! Nice splits and glad that your tune up race went well. Looking forward to seeing how you do in your marathon.

MothAudio

3:30, for BQ. I would feel more comfortable with a 3:35 goal, but you know with that BQ number out there...

I have been using training paces for 3:30; the plan was to see how I held up & make a final goal decision closer to race day. And in the end, maybe more realistically target next spring, because this is just a lot of time to take off in one training cycle - current mara PR is 3:52, set in April.

Plugging my 1:39:51 into McMillan spits out a 3:30:08. Ha! Maybe I can find 8 seconds somewhere. Except for #5 again.

3:35 was my target as well but ended up running 3:30:00. In my case the sub-1:40 half was separated from the marathon by one year. And while I didn't run another half prior to it I imagine I was slightly faster. Instead I did a dress rehearsal marathon in the Sprng [3:44] and some shorter prep races in the summer. I used Pfitz 18/70 for my BQ assualt. A few years later when I ran 1-2 minutes faster for marathon my half times dropped to 1:37-1:36 but I would say I was in mid-3:20 shape and due to unique circumstances wasn't able to make it happen.

That is a lot of time to drop in 6 months. My dress rehearsal was more like a slow long run to get my [marathon] feet wet which boosted my confidence knowing I only needed to run 9 minutes faster.

The formula I've had a lot of success with, and what I suggest for you, is to ramp up your marathon pace runs as you get closer to the race. If you can comfortably run 10 miles @ your MGP in the last month of training, and have the other components in place, you have a good shot at it. Good luck!

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

DavePNW

The formula I've had a lot of success with, and what I suggest for you, is to ramp up your marathon pace runs as you get closer to the race. If you can comfortably run 10 miles @ your MGP in the last month of training, and have the other components in place, you have a good shot at it. Good luck!

Well that's what Hansons has me doing once a week; currently 9 @ GMP, but shortly up to 3 straight weeks of 10. And I plan to get through them by telling myself "You did 13.1 at 7:37 -- 10 at 8:00 should be a piece of cake!".

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

Hell of a race, Dave!  You went in with a good strategy and nailed it.  This bodes very well for your marathon.  It's been cool watching you progress over the last couple of years.  As far as the race predictors go, they've been pretty spot on for me (using McMillan), with the exception of my last marathon which I blame on the weather.

<3

Baboon

delicate flower

BTW, any good AG swag?

<3