Beginners and Beyond

National Running Day - What Running Means to Me (Read 101 times)

Revenge of the Nerd

I enjoy the primal sensation of running as well, FreeSoul.  Sometimes I can even hear the drums.

Like others, I started running to lose weight, then got hooked on racing for a few years.  But over time it has taken on a deeper meaning: part spiritual, part philosophical, part mystical.  Running has offered me experiences that I wouldn't otherwise have had.  I vividly recall close encounters with deer, coyotes, black bears, owls and countless dogs.  I've seen bald eagles, osprey, great blue herons and pileated woodpeckers in flight.   I've run in snow, rain, thunder, lightning and blazing heat.  In 2010, I ran 1,000 commuter miles  to and from work.  I've experienced the highs and lows of running in the same day ... in the same race.  Sure, I throw in some cycling and resistance training to mix it up and ward off injury, but running is my foundation; my base; old reliable.

I also like the fact the non-runners find us to be a bit odd; a little crazy.  Maybe they're right. Wink

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'm always told that I am crazy, not a whole lot of people understand this obsession Big grin

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)