Beginners and Beyond

WedNESDAILIES (Read 34 times)

LRB

Things are still pretty bunched up here, but at my current rate, I'm not gonna catch up to anyone any time soon.

6 Lauren. 1414.71 mi 202:35:17.54
    7 LRBAdministrator 1411.94 mi 206:36:44.55
    8 onemile 1399.99 mi 194:21:14.13
    10 DavePNW 1348.88 mi 182:55:35.33

I have been feeling better the last few days, and I am itching to ramp it back up a little. But I will try to be smart and still take it easy for a while. No super-big hurry, since I think I've missed the chance to be ready for an October marathon at this point. If things progress, maybe still an October half, then Seattle Marathon on 12/1. That's the current best-laid plan anyway.

As long as I have money in my pocket I'll never bet against you.

LRB

LRB - actually, cutback weeks can be harder than peak weeks sometimes. Maybe because the brain expects it to be easy, but the legs know they are still trying to recover from all the hard work the week before.

Makes sense. It's why I moved away from total rest days after long runs or an intense period of training. The ensuing suck, sucks. lol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You should have plenty of options around the Chicago area

I am noticing that.  And so many more HMs in the months of March through infinity.  We only have a handful due to this fucking shit sucks weather, so it's nice to have options.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Makes sense. It's why I moved away from total rest days after long runs or an intense period of training. The ensuing suck, sucks. lol

I always feel like shit on cutback weeks.

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thank you. Your internet peeps have feelings too.

I'm sorry lol I won't neglect you guys again, I promise 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

DavePNW

I always feel like shit on cutback weeks.

Yep. A cutback week feels like a week-long recovery run.

Dave

LRB

Yep. A cutback week feels like a week-long recovery run.

Post of The Day. 🏆lol

onemile

yes, indeed. I'm afraid of taking a rest day now because I always feel like poop after.  Kim apparently is on board in the no rest day schedule because I'm going on 53 days with none in sight

LRB

yes, indeed. I'm afraid of taking a rest day now because I always feel like poop after.  Kim apparently is on board in the no rest day schedule because I'm going on 53 days with none in sight

It'll be interesting to see what she puts together for you. Is AB still in the coaching game?

onemile

It'll be interesting to see what she puts together for you. Is AB still in the coaching game?

yeah she has her own company now called Peak Performance. She seems to be gearing more toward coaching those running ultras and trail races

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Taken on a trail cam about half a mile from my house.  This is about 2 miles from my sighting.

If it doesn't show, maybe the link will work.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vMMAuJKEcAwASA4SA

Runner with a riding problem.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I can see it through the link.  Kitteh!

Damaris

LRB

Taken on a trail cam about half a mile from my house.  This is about 2 miles from my sighting.

If it doesn't show, maybe the link will work.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vMMAuJKEcAwASA4SA

That bad boy looks like its readyto pounce.

Cyberic

RoS, quality over quantity is a nice thing to say and all, but I think you need a certain quantity for marathons.

I remember before my first marathon, people here were telling me Jack Klompus had BQed on his first marathon while his peak week in training had been 55 miles, tops. And people were using him as an example to tell me that mileage doesn't have to be that high.

I did well on my first also while alternating between maybe 50 and 60 mile weeks during peak marathon training.

So my opinion is that as a rule of thumb you need 55 mile weeks in your training to run a good marathon. Of course that's just a number, and people are different and all, but you were asking our opinions, and to me 45 is not high enough.

But you have a coach. Like others have said, I'd do like he/she says or find another coach. Isn't your coach open to talk? Couldn't he/she make a plan around your preferences?

onemile

RoS, quality over quantity is a nice thing to say and all, but I think you need a certain quantity for marathons.

I remember before my first marathon, people here were telling me Jack Klompus had BQed on his first marathon while his peak week in training had been 55 miles, tops. And people were using him as an example to tell me that mileage doesn't have to be that high.

I did well on my first also while alternating between maybe 50 and 60 mile weeks during peak marathon training.

So my opinion is that as a rule of thumb you need 55 mile weeks in your training to run a good marathon. Of course that's just a number, and people are different and all, but you were asking our opinions, and to me 45 is not high enough.

But you have a coach. Like others have said, I'd do like he/she says or find another coach. Isn't your coach open to talk? Couldn't he/she make a plan around your preferences?

I agree with this.