Beginners and Beyond

Fueling for marathon - a never discussed before topic (Read 78 times)

StepbyStep-SH

Hmmm ... I'll have to pick some up once I am running enough to burn through the supply of gels I already have in the cupboard. Looks like it is just the same size as Gu. Smart change!

New packaging!

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

delicate flower

New packaging!

The new Nicciola ones are awesome.

<3

bluerun

Super B****

The new Nicciola ones are awesome.

And dairy.  If that matters to you.  (It does to me -- thank goodness I realized it before I tried it, and my LRS very nicely let me exchange it.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

GinnyinPA

I tried a honey stinger once.  It coated my throat and wouldn't wash away.  I ended up coughing for about 10 minutes.

At my marathon last month they told us on the FB page where there would be gels and what kind.  I hadn't tried any of them before, so brought my own.  Good thing as the first one was at mile 16.

StepbyStep-SH

I tried a honey stinger once.  It coated my throat and wouldn't wash away.  I ended up coughing for about 10 minutes.

At my marathon last month they told us on the FB page where there would be gels and what kind.  I hadn't tried any of them before, so brought my own.  Good thing as the first one was at mile 16.

I always bring my own so that I can follow my fueling schedule and not be stuck with whatever the race offers (or take chances on missing the station, etc.). Whatever they hand out on the course I just grab and tuck into my pocket/spibelt for a later date.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRB

Good thing as the first one was at mile 16.

It's a mile 16 at Detroit as well.

Mile 16? 

Ric-G

it is trial and error over time...but the funny thing is that I have seen people hauling this stuff around for a 5k.

I took this photo before a 20 miler last March (2014).  I carried the handheld, four small bottles in a fuel belt, and the gels.  Man that was a lot of crap to carry.  The small square container was Recoverite for after the run.  For my next cycle I carried only the handheld.  For my last cycle I carried none of it.

marathon pr - 3:16

Half Crazy K 2.0

From recent experience, do not leave an opened pack of Cliff Shots sitting for weeks and then eat them. Once stale, they are nearly impossible to chew and stick to your teeth. Fortunately, I ate them before a run, so I was able to eat a baby carrot and then brush my teeth.

Cyberic

Those hammer gels made me think of U can't touch this... Hammer time!