Beginners and Beyond

Wednesdailies already (Read 28 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Sorry for the start, but was bored and hoping someone would have posted something interesting already!

Group run 6 for me tonight - nothing exciting. Sometimes I feel like having too many group runs gets in my way, but it's nice to have the company.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

RunningOnSand

Glad you did start, SIAR! I was trying to come up with something witty to say. But, alas. Nothing witty this morning.  How big of a group usually meets? And are they every night?

This week I'm not getting up early to run, and I'm trying to get extra sleep so I'm well rested for the race on Sunday. So it's 8:20 and I'm sipping on my coffee. It's overcast and it looks like it rained here last night, so it's cooler, which will be nice when I finally get out there.

bluerun

Super B****

15 trainer miles just to give me a reason to crawl out of the bed in which I'd been lying awake since 2 AM. Last 5K of the summer series is tonight. Should be great, given the "awake since 2 AM" situation.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

RunningOnSand

Okay, can we also talk toes? Specifically toenails? I know feet are kinda gross for some people, so if they are please skip the rest of this post. if not, read on.

I have some questions. Over the years of running I've had blisters underneath some toenails, and sometimes the toenails have fallen off and sometimes they've stayed intact. Do you guys have any callouses underneath the toenails? That just stay there? I have one toenail (that tends to take the brunt of my running and that's the nail that's fallen off most) and it looks like that's what it may be underneath (callous) but the google said that runners are prone to fungus and it could be that. It's not itchy and the nail isn't yellow or anything...just wondering what your experience of your toes and nails might be. Kthxbai.

onemile

I ran a hill workout with the boys this morning. 8x2 min 'controlled race effort' up and jog back down.  A bit cooler and rainy and it was nice to have company

Half Crazy K 2.0

ROS, I've had blisters undergo toenail once. I found DYI surgery where you use a sterilized pin to drain it saved the toenails.  Oh, it was from 11 miles of gradual downhill on the rail trail.  Lube your toes good for your marathon.  If it's a slight grade, you won't necessarily notice you ate going downhill,  but your toes will.

Baboon

delicate flower

'Morning!  2000 yard swim done before work and a short run on tap tonight.  It's my last day of work before an abbreviated vacation.  I have not taken more than one day off in a row since last Christmas, so I am looking forward to the break.  I have over five weeks of PTO built up in my bank, and that is way too much.

Okay, can we also talk toes? Specifically toenails? I know feet are kinda gross for some people, so if they are please skip the rest of this post. if not, read on.

My toenails are a mess.  Some people are just prone to it.  When it first started happening, I tried different shoes and sizes but it made no difference, so I've just learned to live with it.   I never get black toenails from training runs, but for some reason racing seems to do the all damage.  They turn black, they fall off, they grow back.  I have not noticed any blisters or anything though. 

<3

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Glad you did start, SIAR! I was trying to come up with something witty to say. But, alas. Nothing witty this morning.  How big of a group usually meets? And are they every night?

This week I'm not getting up early to run, and I'm trying to get extra sleep so I'm well rested for the race on Sunday. So it's 8:20 and I'm sipping on my coffee. It's overcast and it looks like it rained here last night, so it's cooler, which will be nice when I finally get out there.

Group run every Wednesday from our run store can range from 15 people to 50 on a big day. And then the Thursday night trail group run is smaller, maybe between 10-20. It's just those two nights, but it does make two nights where I can't do much other than an easy run. Hope the race week mania isn't treating you too badly Smile I don't have much to offer on the toenails. My big toe nail is oddly ridged which I assume means there's some nail under nail stuff going on, but I tend to wait until things are a problem before I start to worry about them.

Halfcrazy...you're brave to do the hot pin into the nail...not sure I could make myself do it!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

onemile

I have some questions. Over the years of running I've had blisters underneath some toenails, and sometimes the toenails have fallen off and sometimes they've stayed intact. Do you guys have any callouses underneath the toenails? That just stay there? I have one toenail (that tends to take the brunt of my running and that's the nail that's fallen off most) and it looks like that's what it may be underneath (callous) but the google said that runners are prone to fungus and it could be that. It's not itchy and the nail isn't yellow or anything...just wondering what your experience of your toes and nails might be. Kthxbai.

yeah, mine are messed up. I often get blisters under the toenail of my 2nd toe and 3rd and they have grown back all weird and thick and pushed up

RunningOnSand

Group run every Wednesday from our run store can range from 15 people to 50 on a big day. And then the Thursday night trail group run is smaller, maybe between 10-20. It's just those two nights, but it does make two nights where I can't do much other than an easy run. Hope the race week mania isn't treating you too badly Smile I don't have much to offer on the toenails. My big toe nail is oddly ridged which I assume means there's some nail under nail stuff going on, but I tend to wait until things are a problem before I start to worry about them.

Halfcrazy...you're brave to do the hot pin into the nail...not sure I could make myself do it!

Wow that's a big group. Nice to have so many people. My group runs have all mostly been under 10 people, except for 1 time when it was 12. That felt huge. I can't imagine 50!

And total +1 to what you said to HC about the hot pin into the nail! I've heard that offers a ton of great relief, but OUCH in the meantime?!

My toes are all messed up, too. It's also mostly my 2nd nail on my right foot. Not sure what's up. I also haven't noticed it more/less from one shoe to the next. And I also notice it happening more from racing, and then it just takes forever to heal/grow back. And I will make sure my toes are super slippery and lubed up for Sunday.

Bab Ass, enjoy the time off!

DavePNW

I ran 9.

Dave

DavePNW

LOL, come on it’s a running forum.

Although I feel lucky that somehow I’ve never lost a toenail.

Dave

LRB

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 10 with 4 X 2 miles @ HMP, FFS.

I've never had toenail issues during my 20 years running.  After seeing the issues my husband goes through with black toenails, I feel very lucky.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

I don't stick the pin in the nail itself.  I stick the pin in the skin on the tips of my toes.