Beginners and Beyond

Toosticuler Tuesdailies (Read 39 times)

RunningOnSand

It won't last.... forecast is already showing 90's as I get closer to October 5 (the Evansville Half Marathon). Maybe, just maybe the forecast will change over the next few days..... I'm freaking sick of this heat.

You've got loads of time for the forecast to change.

RunningOnSand

Huh?

Right? LOL. "every 7 marathons..."   

onemile

Right? LOL. "every 7 marathons..."   

the faster you get through 7, the faster you improve.  (IE, one per month would yield much faster improvement than running 1-2 per year)

Cyberic

I was at a party on Sunday, when a man asked me about marathons. Similar to you--how many I've done. And then what my fastest time was (after I told him he proceeded to look me up and down, slowly--wtf???). Then he said, "not bad". Wut?! Then asks what my BQ is for my age group, and tries to give advice but is cut off by someone else (I could have kissed the other person). Gross. The whole thing was just gross.

I get similar stuff too. What I do get is people telling me how much faster I would be if I got a coach or joined a group. Many people presume that because I train on my own, I don't know what I'm doing, and that my times are all due to natural talent and there would be incredible improvement if I trained in a structured way.

In the starting corral, I was standing by a local coach I kind of know. I know who he is, and he's seen me before too. He asked me what my PR was and my age, as it is obvious I'm not 25. Then he asked me under who did I train. I got 10 minutes of names and numbers thrown at me after I told him I was training by myself (At 47 I did this, at 48 in Chicago I did that. Such person is that old, started training with me and finished 1st in such race in such time, and so on...).

onemile

lol RRP was telling me that it was a headwind forecast for Lakefront Oct 6 and I was like LOL

Cyberic

the faster you get through 7, the faster you improve.  (IE, one per month would yield much faster improvement than running 1-2 per year)

Aaahhh, this explains that! I've only raced 5 marathons!

Cyberic

bluerun

Super B****

Oh, I guess I'm screwed then, I should just give up now

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Very true, hell it can change in an hour lol. But I'm so tired of this heat and just looking at the 10 day forecast and seeing even one day in the 80's or 90's has me like:

Image result for pouting gif

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

onemile

Oh, I guess I'm screwed then, I should just give up now

you are still cooking. just at a slower rate 

RunningOnSand

you are still cooking. just at a slower rate 

LOL

RunningOnSand

I get similar stuff too. What I do get is people telling me how much faster I would be if I got a coach or joined a group. Many people presume that because I train on my own, I don't know what I'm doing, and that my times are all due to natural talent and there would be incredible improvement if I trained in a structured way.

In the starting corral, I was standing by a local coach I kind of know. I know who he is, and he's seen me before too. He asked me what my PR was and my age, as it is obvious I'm not 25. Then he asked me under who did I train. I got 10 minutes of names and numbers thrown at me after I told him I was training by myself (At 47 I did this, at 48 in Chicago I did that. Such person is that old, started training with me and finished 1st in such race in such time, and so on...).

That's super annoying. Ugh.

RunningOnSand

Very true, hell it can change in an hour lol. But I'm so tired of this heat and just looking at the 10 day forecast and seeing even one day in the 80's or 90's has me like:

Image result for pouting gif

LOL. Love that gif. And I totally kwym...I start stalking the forecast before you can even start stalking the forecast.

bluerun

Super B****

This is one of my (very many) pet peeves: why do so many people fail to grasp the concept that we're all individuals, and what works for one person will not necessarily work for someone else? It works for you? Great! I'm happy doing what I'm doing, so you can just shut up and be happy doing what you're doing without trying to get everyone else to do the same thing.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

LOL. Love that gif. And I totally kwym...I start stalking the forecast before you can even start stalking the forecast.

Lol, yeah. There used to be a website that could give you a month's worth of weather. Of course it's worthless because the weather changing so easily and rarely do 10 days stay exactly as the forecast shows it.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)