Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES and kicking (Read 31 times)

RunningOnSand

3:09 marathon. It boggles the mind, but Blue should totally go for it!!!! YEAHHHHHH!!!! 

Speaking of marathons, I spoke with coach, and he thinks 3:45 is the time I should shoot for (8:35mm/mi). Seems more doable than 8:15mm! But I'll still assess race day. And if Saturday & Sunday could switch temps, and maybe even drop a few more degrees, that would be great, mmmkay.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I couldn't disagree more with you on that one...black shoes look so heavy to me that I generally won't touch them. I actually really like that white/red/blue colorway on the Carbon X. The lighter the color, the faster the shoes look to me.

Now, I can agree with you on the matching, at least for race day. Look good, feel good, play good has always been my motto.

The whiter the color, the slower I am on it!  And I hate that white but I love that shoe soI was going to sacrifice.

Damaris

DavePNW

So, Ryan Hall. Listened to him give kind of a rambling stream-of-consciousness talk, covering both his running life & personal life, and some Q&A. Parts were too religiousy for my taste, but otherwise very entertaining and informative. Many things that we as casual runners could still relate to, and nod our heads at. Some highlights:

• Referred to his career as a "professional in pain management" - challenge is always how much pain you can bear for how long.
        • Talked about how the key to the mental side is the ability to "get outside yourself", take your focus off how much you are suffering. In one race where he was struggling, he found what worked was talking to & encouraging other runners, not something I'd expect.
        • Stated his goal for every race was not necessarily a certain time, but "achieving personal excellence" - getting 100% out of what you have on that day. Sometimes faster than expected, sometimes slower.
        • One of his keys to strong marathon performance was 5k fitness.
        • He's 5'10", and at his peak weighed 137. Pushed himself to keep losing weight & got down to 127. Ended up making him feeling worse, more fatigued, and performed more poorly. Not to mention resulting in chronic low testosterone levels.
        • He now weighs 185, of solid muscle. Virtually never runs anymore; traded that obsession for weightlifting.
        • Long after retiring, he thought it would be cool to do the 7 continents challenge - 7 marathons in 7 continents in 7 days. Despite his longest run in the prior 3 months being 8 miles. He was chugging along OK until #6, when he got a stress fracture in his hip. He did #7 anyway, as kind of a walk-run with a bunch of rest breaks, and finished in 5:30. Which remains his most recent marathon time.
        • The important question I did get in: "When you were running a 2:04 Boston, what was your easy pace?" I asked sort of sheepishly, but he replied "good question!", guessing we'd assume it was about 6:00. Answer: 8:00-8:30. He then went into a "keep your hard runs hard and your easy runs easy" lesson.

Good stuff.

Dave

DavePNW

3:09 marathon. It boggles the mind, but Blue should totally go for it!!!! YEAHHHHHH!!!! 

Speaking of marathons, I spoke with coach, and he thinks 3:45 is the time I should shoot for (8:35mm/mi). Seems more doable than 8:15mm! But I'll still assess race day. And if Saturday & Sunday could switch temps, and maybe even drop a few more degrees, that would be great, mmmkay.

what is the start time?

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The PR mantra of 100% on that day vs time PR is also espoused by Meb and Deena as well.  Both have mentioned enjoying races that went badly for them by switching the mind from being first or hitting X time to enjoy every mile and giving his best on the rest of the race.  But they define best as being fun or time or position, or a finish if needed.

So, I guess the people there that time I saw him were giants, haha.

Damaris

DavePNW

I’m 5-10, so he seems pretty close.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Man he looks really buff now!

Damaris

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

he has definitely bulked up a bit!

From the Internet.

He's like an evolved Pokemon, geez

From the Internet.

So, Ryan Hall. Listened to him give kind of a rambling stream-of-consciousness talk, covering both his running life & personal life, and some Q&A. Parts were too religiousy for my taste, but otherwise very entertaining and informative. Many things that we as casual runners could still relate to, and nod our heads at. Some highlights:

• Referred to his career as a "professional in pain management" - challenge is always how much pain you can bear for how long.
                      • Talked about how the key to the mental side is the ability to "get outside yourself", take your focus off how much you are suffering. In one race where he was struggling, he found what worked was talking to & encouraging other runners, not something I'd expect.
                      • Stated his goal for every race was not necessarily a certain time, but "achieving personal excellence" - getting 100% out of what you have on that day. Sometimes faster than expected, sometimes slower.
                      • He's 5'10", and at his peak weighed 137. Pushed himself to keep losing weight & got down to 127. Ended up making him feeling worse, more fatigued, and performed more poorly. Not to mention resulting in chronic low testosterone levels.
                      • He now weighs 185, of solid muscle. Virtually never runs anymore; traded that obsession for weightlifting.
                      • Long after retiring, he thought it would be cool to do the 7 continents challenge - 7 marathons in 7 continents in 7 days. Despite his longest run in the prior 3 months being 8 miles. He was chugging along OK until #6, when he got a stress fracture in his hip. He did #7 anyway, as kind of a walk-run with a bunch of rest breaks, and finished in 5:30. Which remains his most recent marathon time.
                      • The important question I did get in: "When you were running a 2:04 Boston, what was your easy pace?" I asked sort of sheepishly, but he replied "good question!", guessing we'd assume it was about 6:00. Answer: 8:00-8:30. He then went into a "keep your hard runs hard and your easy runs easy" lesson.

Good stuff.

Very cool, thanks for sharing! Oof I'm gonna have to try to slow myself down, lol. That kind of differential between (marathon, no less) race pace and easy jog pace is wild!

LRB

That makes my head hurt.

You're telling me. I was trapped in an infinite loop for an entire year.

RunningOnSand

what is the start time?

7am

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

7am

I am normally at Mile 8-10 at the Disney marathon by then. Lol

I am going to be shocked in Indy with races at 9-10, right?

Damaris

LRB

Very cool, thanks for sharing! Oof I'm gonna have to try to slow myself down, lol.

It doesn't always translate from runner to runner and it's not easy to run slower than you want to or what comes natural to you. Easy running is and always will be what is easy for the individual on a given day during a given period. I wouldn't change anything.

LRB

Good stuff.

This is a very cool post, thank you for taking the time to write it.

His peak weight is what really caught my attention. How in the hell he (they) thought getting lighter than that would be better is beyond me. At some point you have to just tip your cap to the Kenyans and work with what you have. Crazy.