Beginners and Beyond

sufferin succotash SaturDAILIES (Read 28 times)

Cyberic

I recently saw a podcast with some knowledgeable people (doesn't mean they can't be wrong, I know) saying that training in the heat is even better than training at altitude.

https://www.thanyapura.com/blog/heat-training-camps-replacing-altitude-training/

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I recently saw a podcast with some knowledgeable people (doesn't mean they can't be wrong, I know) saying that training in the heat is even better than training at altitude.

https://www.thanyapura.com/blog/heat-training-camps-replacing-altitude-training/

Never trained at altitude but the 6 years I trained for fall marathons in my summers didn't give me any edge come marathon time.  My fastest group of marathons, for example, were the ones I trained on the TM the whole year instead of 90+ (even though I was faster and fitter on the marathons I trained in the summer vs my fastest ones).  I think it helps if (1) the race is going to be hot or (2) the heat is not extreme.  But I don't find any good coming out of slogging runs at heat indexes above 95F for weeks/months.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I noticed this from their study:

• Temp >36˚C / Humidity >50%
        • 7-14 days exposure
        • 90-100 min per day (10 days in a row)
        • 90min every 3rd day (30 days exposure)
        • Exercise intensity approx 50% VO2 max

So, after 14 days, what?  Is this supposed to be done 2 weeks before the marathon and then go?  And what is 50% VO2 Max, recovery pace?

They also said the risks are:

Heat illness if do too much too soon

• ↑Dehydration risk during training
        • Cumulative dehydration risk during week
        • Need right temp and humidity to work

I suspect they are not talking about very humid, because >50% is not really that humid (at least not until you hit the 90s).

From my experience, whatever the benefit is, it is not very noticeable during the race.

Damaris

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

From my experience, whatever the benefit is, it is not very noticeable during the race.

But don't you always get crappy weather for your marathons, so it wouldn't really be applicable?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

onemile

I might have run 18 miles this morning at an 8:20 pace, but couldn't run 50 meters across the parking lot to my car in the pouring rain just now.  I tried and oof . Made it about 10 steps and walked. lol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

But don't you always get crappy weather for your marathons, so it wouldn't really be applicable?

I have gotten crappy for most yes, but not all. But they were not hot either, not hot enough for the heat training to help.

I noticed the article does not say train in heat but go and do 7-14 days of slow running in it. Something you don’t want to do during training. So if you do it before training, wouldn’t the effect be gone come race day?  So only chance is to do it during the taper.

Damaris

LRB

I might have run 18 miles this morning at an 8:20 pace, but couldn't run 50 meters across the parking lot to my car in the pouring rain just now.  I tried and oof . Made it about 10 steps and walked. lol

I suck so bad at running to my car in the rain or when someone lets me go in front of them in a parking lot that I stopped trying!

It's almost like a waddle. Awful. lol

Cyberic

The podcast I saw explained it different. The athletes would raise the temp in their hotel room to about body temp, whatever that is in F, and they would just  bike really easy on a stationnary bike for 30 minutes. Do that for 5-6 days and the adaptation is there and will last for almost two weeks.

It has nothing to do with running intervals in the heat.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That can be done during training at least, 10 days pre marathon. And yeah, I wouldn’t do intervals or fast paces in the heat to be better trained. IMO, that won’t work to get you better for race day.

Damaris

I noticed this from their study:

• Temp >36˚C / Humidity >50%
                      • 7-14 days exposure
                      • 90-100 min per day (10 days in a row)
                      • 90min every 3rd day (30 days exposure)
                      • Exercise intensity approx 50% VO2 max

So, after 14 days, what?  Is this supposed to be done 2 weeks before the marathon and then go?  And what is 50% VO2 Max, recovery pace?

They also said the risks are:

Heat illness if do too much too soon

• ↑Dehydration risk during training
                      • Cumulative dehydration risk during week
                      • Need right temp and humidity to work

I suspect they are not talking about very humid, because >50% is not really that humid (at least not until you hit the 90s).

Maybe I missed it but the didn’t mention cumulative salt loss.

If they did miss that, that is a whopper oversight

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I have gotten crappy for most yes, but not all. But they were not hot either, not hot enough for the heat training to help.

I noticed the article does not say train in heat but go and do 7-14 days of slow running in it. Something you don’t want to do during training. So if you do it before training, wouldn’t the effect be gone come race day?  So only chance is to do it during the taper.

Can't remember where I read it, but heat acclimation can be maintained by running in the heat a couple times a week for 30-60 minutes, so a couple easy runs in the heat weekly should maintain the acclimation.  I know I felt a lot better at Ethan Allen 6 Hour than I did two weeks before at Loopy Bunny 6 Hour and I didn't bother tapering for Ethan Allen.  Historically I've also run some of my best races in the fall once cool weather hits after training in the heat all summer.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Maybe I missed it but the didn’t mention cumulative salt loss.

If they did miss that, that is a whopper oversight

I noticed that but maybe they considered that under cumulative dehydration?

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Can't remember where I read it, but heat acclimation can be maintained by running in the heat a couple times a week for 30-60 minutes, so a couple easy runs in the heat weekly should maintain the acclimation.  I know I felt a lot better at Ethan Allen 6 Hour than I did two weeks before at Loopy Bunny 6 Hour and I didn't bother tapering for Ethan Allen.  Historically I've also run some of my best races in the fall once cool weather hits after training in the heat all summer.

This confirma my observation that some running in the heat (not necessarily extreme heat) can help but if you have to train all the time in the heat, the effects go the other way.

Damaris

Cyberic

This confirma my observation that some running in the heat (not necessarily extreme heat) can help but if you have to train all the time in the heat, the effects go the other way.

I don't know. Not saying you're wrong but not convinced you're right. Isn't it hot in some African countries? Surely they don't all have access to TMs and AC.

Maybe it's like in the winter (here) and you have to stop thinking about pace, and rely on effort ( maybe HR works in the heat).

LRB

Worth the read. I don't think they draw any definitive conclusions. The message I got was that it is something to consider. I can appreciate that.