Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES FFS (Read 46 times)

onemile

onemile - nope, just following coach's orders! With my injury-prone past and ambitious goal, we didn't make a set-in-stone plan for my race but we mapped out a rough strategy back in January and I've been getting weekly input from him as to what workouts I should be doing based on how I ran/how I felt during the past week.

These long HMP runs frankly turrify me, but I've been getting through them and I always feel strongest in the last few miles, so it'll hopefully make goal pace on race day seem like a cakewalk.

It is chilly out there. Supposed to be 50 by the time I'm done but the wind is coooold today. Changing my shirt and then off I go! D:

I didn't realize you had a coach.  If goal pace feels like a cakewalk on race day, I'd suggest running faster.

LRB

I didn't realize you had a coach.  If goal pace feels like a cakewalk on race day, I'd suggest running faster.

I'll second that which echoes my sentiments to cj and it turned out great for him. So that's a good sign for you Lauren!

Cyberic

Heading out to attempt 11 with 8 at HMP in about an hour D: 

I agree with everyone. Tough workout. Sometimes it's hard to prepare mentally for workouts like that.

cjones1

I'll second that which echoes my sentiments to cj and it turned out great for him. So that's a good sign for you Lauren!

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

cjones1

Wow, you and CJ1 are methodical!

Or crazy.

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

StepbyStep-SH

Final follow-up with the surgery team (orthopedics physicians assistant) complete. He gave me the standard "With the meniscus gone, I really can't recommend running because you are missing the padding in the knee, which increases your risk of developing arthritis," but wasn't surprised when I said "Oh well, I'm going to go back to running anyway."

The physical therapist, who I see again in about an hour, has seen my "return to running" plan and seems OK with it. And I will modify as necessary.

Tomorrow, I run. A little tiny bit.

(And my apologies for those who also read the L&O dailies and/or are friends with me on Facebook: Sorry, but I'm not creative ambitious enough to write this update in three different ways just so you can see something new.)

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRB

Hopefully your PT is innovative and a forward thinker Step. Good luck!

Zelanie

Good luck on your run, Step!

6-10 for me later.

StepbyStep-SH

Hopefully your PT is innovative and a forward thinker Step. Good luck!

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but he is willing to provide me with exercises to support my knee (sans meniscus and functioning ACL) and help me work through hip problems that I've always just muddle through and ignored as much as possible. Smile

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRB

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but he is willing to provide me with exercises to support my knee (sans meniscus and functioning ACL) and help me work through hip problems that I've always just muddle through and ignored as much as possible. Smile

Well as long as he is on board with you it will work. Failing that he at least has to be flexible in his thoughts and beliefs, otherwise there is no chemistry between the two of you and there really should be...or maybe not. lol

delicate flower

Trying to decide which 5K I want to to do in two weeks....

<3

delicate flower

Final follow-up with the surgery team (orthopedics physicians assistant) complete. He gave me the standard "With the meniscus gone, I really can't recommend running because you are missing the padding in the knee, which increases your risk of developing arthritis," but wasn't surprised when I said "Oh well, I'm going to go back to running anyway."

I got the same speech, although after two surgeries and three repairs, I still have 65% of my left meniscus.  Doc said I could scale back, or I could ignore him and run my usual miles anyway and increase the risk of arthritis.  I figure use it while I got it!  He said to add more cross training and strength if I keep running the same volume.

<3

LRB

Trying to decide which 5K I want to to do in two weeks....

Well let us help!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Has anybody on here had all four of their wisdom teeth taken out at the same time? I need to have my bottom two removed but the dentist suggested all of them since the top won't have anything but gum to press against afterwards, which can cause infections.

Frankly.....i hate the dentist and loathe the sensation of teeth cleaning, removal or whatever.... I compare it to the sensation of nails scratching a chalk board.  

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

B-Plus

SRD #8