Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES FFS (Read 46 times)

Baboon

delicate flower

Well let us help!

A)  http://www.hartfordmarathon.com/Events/CT_RACE_IN_THE_PARK.htm

or

B)  https://www.episcopalct.org/News-and-Events/Annual-Events/Bishops-5K/

A = larger race (1000+), tough competition, $36 for a 5K, will be kind of a clusterfock to get in and out of,  slightly easier course, supports breast cancer, I earn registration points toward end of season prizes because it's one of many events this company does.

B = small race (150 or so), not a particularly stacked field, $25, close by and easy in and out, tougher course with some rollers, supports social services for disadvantaged children, close proximity to a million post-race restaurant choices

That very last thing might be the deciding factor.  Also, I have not done either of these, though I know the prior operates events like a well oiled machine.

<3

LRB

Has anybody on here had all four of their wisdom teeth taken out at the same time? I need to have my bottom two removed but the dentist suggested all of them since the top won't have anything but gum to press against afterwards, which can cause infections.

Frankly.....i hate the dentist and loathe the sensation of teeth cleaning, removal or whatever.... I compare it to the sensation of nails scratching a chalk board.  

I have had something similar done and would suggest you get the prescription for pain before you go in. Take the first pill(s) while you're in the lobby waiting to be called back, and alternate the pain pills with ibuprofen for swelling every three hours and you will be golden.

That is what I did and the worst part about the entire ordeal ended up being the numbing shot.

onemile

From the Internet.

Has anybody on here had all four of their wisdom teeth taken out at the same time? I need to have my bottom two removed but the dentist suggested all of them since the top won't have anything but gum to press against afterwards, which can cause infections.

Frankly.....i hate the dentist and loathe the sensation of teeth cleaning, removal or whatever.... I compare it to the sensation of nails scratching a chalk board.  

I had them all taken out at once and was totally fine - I think I took one Percocet the day of and the next day, OTC painkillers for another couple days, and that was that. I was also 18 and went out with friends the night after I had it done, so perhaps being young had a lot to do with it.

Ahh, my 11 is done - 2 warmup, 8 at 8:20 average (MTA: j/k, more like 8:17 average), 1 cooldown. Give me a taper, good weather, and a couple of Pepto or Immodium pills on the 17th and I will pull out something in the high 1:40s!

cjones1

I had them all taken out at once and was totally fine - I think I took one Percocet the day of and the next day, OTC painkillers for another couple days, and that was that. I was also 18 and went out with friends the night after I had it done, so perhaps being young had a lot to do with it.

Ahh, my 11 is done - 2 warmup, 8 at 8:20 average, 1 cooldown. Give me a taper, good weather, and a couple of Pepto or Immodium pills on the 17th and I will pull out something in the high 1:40s!

Nice!  Trust me, you may not even need good weather.

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

Baboon

delicate flower

Ahh, my 11 is done - 2 warmup, 8 at 8:20 average, 1 cooldown. Give me a taper, good weather, and a couple of Pepto or Immodium pills on the 17th and I will pull out something in the high 1:40s!

Nice run.  If you can run 8 miles at HMP during peak training, 13 miles at HMP on race day will be easy.

<3

onemile

Nice run.  If you can run 8 miles at HMP during peak training, 13 miles at HMP on race day will be easy.

Not if you are running at HMP.

Ric-G

I remember living color (the show) and living colour (the band)...interesting times...

no comment on pulling wisdom teeth...reminds me that I have to go to the dentist...anyway I did 11 miles this AM...work and coffee now and soccer game with older son this evening...have a great day everyone!

marathon pr - 3:16

From the Internet.

cjones - lol that is true! Accuweather (ha) is telling me that race day will be a high of 72 and "considerably cloudy", start is pretty early at 8 AM so it should be nearly perfect race conditions for me if that holds up.

Boon - that is my hope! Last 2 miles of today's run were 8:14 and 8:13 and I felt like I could totally do another 5 miles if I had to.

onemile and LRB - I'm hoping I'll be able to go faster! Strategy at this point is likely going to be start off at about my current goal pace for the first mile so as not to crash and burn and just check in with my legs every mile or two after that - speed up when I can.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I had all 4 done before my senior year in high school. I went the oral surgeon route & was knocked out with the twilight stuff. I had trouble opening my mouth fully for about a week afterwards and lived on smoothies & cold soup. FWIW, my dentist had offered to do it in office with novicaine, fortunately my parents forked over the extra $$$ for the oral surgeon.

LRB

onemile and LRB - I'm hoping I'll be able to go faster! Strategy at this point is likely going to be start off at about my current goal pace for the first mile so as not to crash and burn and just check in with my legs every mile or two after that - speed up when I can.

You are going to do great. It will just be a matter of how close you can get to 1:45!

LRB

A)  http://www.hartfordmarathon.com/Events/CT_RACE_IN_THE_PARK.htm

or

B)  https://www.episcopalct.org/News-and-Events/Annual-Events/Bishops-5K/

A = larger race (1000+), tough competition, $36 for a 5K, will be kind of a clusterfock to get in and out of,  slightly easier course, supports breast cancer, I earn registration points toward end of season prizes because it's one of many events this company does.

B = small race (150 or so), not a particularly stacked field, $25, close by and easy in and out, tougher course with some rollers, supports social services for disadvantaged children, close proximity to a million post-race restaurant choices

That very last thing might be the deciding factor.  Also, I have not done either of these, though I know the prior operates events like a well oiled machine.

Looking at the course maps, neither of them contain hairpin turns which I loathe, or involve long stretches which can be a mental chore. Rolling hills are not necessarily a deal breaker because you may get back what you lose depending on the overall profile.

If it were me I would go with the fastest course regardless of the size of the field, cost, charity or logistics. But I race for absolute PR's which does not necessarily apply to everyone, nor should it.

You are in a point in your running ascension where you can run either course backwards and PR, so based on what you have said, B sounds like the one for you.

GinnyinPA

Freesoul - I had mine taken out after college.  Take aspirin/pain killer before you leave their office and put ice on it IMMEDIATELY.  I was told to "put ice on it if it  swells".  By the time I did, I looked like a chipmunk.  I waited too long and it took a while for the swelling to go down.

Baboon - I can't imagine running yesterday, or being ready for a race in two weeks.  I can barely walk.  Not so much pain, but I'm so stiff I waddle.  Still can't do stairs or stand up without pain.

Step - good news that you were more or less cleared to run.  Have fun tomorrow.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

The dentist is sending me to an oral surgeon due to the bottoms not being all the way out/in but are creating infections due to food getting in underneath my gums... fun fun Sad

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Cyberic

Ahh, my 11 is done - 2 warmup, 8 at 8:20 average (MTA: j/k, more like 8:17 average), 1 cooldown. Give me a taper, good weather, and a couple of Pepto or Immodium pills on the 17th and I will pull out something in the high 1:40s!

This has me thinking about something. Do people actually do that? I'm scared shitless (yes, pun intended) of the PM ruining a great marathon that took so long and so much effort to prepare for.

I was wondering if people actually took those drugs before running. I am sure some people have tried them, but anybody here? What was your experience like ?