TuesDAILIES FFS (Read 46 times)

Cyberic

Baboon, I'll choose the local race any day. But I don't count Smile

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

A)  http://www.hartfordmarathon.com/Events/CT_RACE_IN_THE_PARK.htm

or

B)  https://www.episcopalct.org/News-and-Events/Annual-Events/Bishops-5K/

A = larger race (1000+), tough competition, $36 for a 5K, will be kind of a clusterfock to get in and out of,  slightly easier course, supports breast cancer, I earn registration points toward end of season prizes because it's one of many events this company does.

B = small race (150 or so), not a particularly stacked field, $25, close by and easy in and out, tougher course with some rollers, supports social services for disadvantaged children, close proximity to a million post-race restaurant choices

That very last thing might be the deciding factor.  Also, I have not done either of these, though I know the prior operates events like a well oiled machine.

Some other considerations:

What's the likelihood of you having competition at B or being stuck in between the speedsters and the pack basically running the race solo?

Would you be able to line up close enough to the front at A to immediately hit your stride and start racing?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am in Dopey with Mary and Chicago!!!

Damaris

From the Internet.

This has me thinking about something. Do people actually do that? I'm scared shitless (yes, pun intended) of the PM ruining a great marathon that took so long and so much effort to prepare for.

I was wondering if people actually took those drugs before running. I am sure some people have tried them, but anybody here? What was your experience like ?

It was recommended to me by IRL friends after I had overwhelming nausea following a 10 mile race last summer - haven't raced long enough since then to need to try it out. I'm not 100% sure that I'm remembering correctly, but I want to say Zelanie has taken them before too? In my case I'm less worried about the PM and more worried about the horribly pukey feeling I get at the end of very long tough efforts.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Baboon, I'll choose the local race any day. But I don't count Smile

Agreed. There is nothing like sleeping in your own bed.

Damaris

Baboon

delicate flower

Some other considerations:

What's the likelihood of you having competition at B or being stuck in between the speedsters and the pack basically running the race solo?

Would you be able to line up close enough to the front at A to immediately hit your stride and start racing?

Looking at prior year results for B, I'd probably spend most of the race running solo.  This would basically be a 5K time trail.  I'll be near the front of the field but not with the lead pack, but well ahead of the masses.  I've gotten kind of used to running solo is that spot though.  Seems to be where I am right now.

<3

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Looking at prior year results for B, I'd probably spend most of the race running solo.  This would basically be a 5K time trail.  I'll be near the front of the field but not with the lead pack, but well ahead of the masses.  I've gotten kind of used to running solo is that spot though.  Seems to be where I am right now.

In that case, the A race with the larger field might be your better choice to get the experience racing head to head. That can really make you stretch yourself closer to your potential.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Baboon

delicate flower

In that case, the A race with the larger field might be your better choice to get the experience racing head to head. That can really make you stretch yourself closer to your potential.

That is something I hadn't considered...

<3

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Trying to decide which 5K I want to to do in two weeks....

Already?!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I got the same speech, although after two surgeries and three repairs, I still have 65% of my left meniscus.  Doc said I could scale back, or I could ignore him and run my usual miles anyway and increase the risk of arthritis.  I figure use it while I got it!  He said to add more cross training and strength if I keep running the same volume.

+1.   I have had 4 knee surgeries, have a big ole screw in my left knee that holds it together, am missing part of my meniscus too, and I currently have arthritis in both knees.  On top of that my spinal arthritis flared up also, so now I have to deal with that every day too.   Personally, I think I am very lucky to be retired military because the military hospital I go to has some of the greatest PTs who really worked with me - and still do when I need some fine tuning - on a program designed for my specific problems.  I have slowed down quite a bit from when I was in my 30s and 40s and 50s...but I'm still out here running...in a fashion.      Step, do what you can but do be aware you may have some limitations now;  find out what they are - hopefully very few! - as you do your comeback, get to understand them and what you can and can't do with them, adjust accordingly, and I bet you will do just fine.   Hopefully your PT will work with you well, too.  Good luck and happy comeback!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Has anybody on here had all four of their wisdom teeth taken out at the same time? I need to have my bottom two removed but the dentist suggested all of them since the top won't have anything but gum to press against afterwards, which can cause infections.

Frankly.....i hate the dentist and loathe the sensation of teeth cleaning, removal or whatever.... I compare it to the sensation of nails scratching a chalk board.  

Yes, all mine were taken out at the same time way back in the 70s.  It wasn't a big deal, recovery is pretty fast and I had no 'after-problems' from their removal.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

A = larger race (1000+), tough competition, $36 for a 5K, will be kind of a clusterfock to get in and out of,  slightly easier course, supports breast cancer, I earn registration points toward end of season prizes because it's one of many events this company does.

B = small race (150 or so), not a particularly stacked field, $25, close by and easy in and out, tougher course with some rollers, supports social services for disadvantaged children, close proximity to a million post-race restaurant choices

That very last thing might be the deciding factor.  Also, I have not done either of these, though I know the prior operates events like a well oiled machine.

I'd go with option B. Mainly because I deal with enough traffic headaches and stuff during the work week. I can't stand sitting in traffic and I think sitting in traffic right by my destination is even more agitating.

workinprogress11

I am in Dopey with Mary and Chicago!!!

Awesome!  My former running partner just texted me that he got into Chicago too. I'll be up there spectating.

Baboon

delicate flower

Already?!

It's already been two days since my marathon.  I feel that so far I have shown great restraint.

<3

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

It's already been two days since my marathon.  I feel that so far I have shown great restraint.

Good point. Why stop at a 5k? Sign up for a few more marathons that you can casually jog and then you can be a Marathon Maniac with D. Smile