Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES FFS (Read 46 times)

LRB

It's already been two days since my marathon.  I feel that so far I have shown great restraint.

lol

cjones1

It was recommended to me by IRL friends after I had overwhelming nausea following a 10 mile race last summer - haven't raced long enough since then to need to try it out. I'm not 100% sure that I'm remembering correctly, but I want to say Zelanie has taken them before too? In my case I'm less worried about the PM and more worried about the horribly pukey feeling I get at the end of very long tough efforts.

This makes me nervous Smile

Have you tried it before a long run?

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

From the Internet.

This makes me nervous Smile

Have you tried it before a long run?

Not yet - planning to try it before my LR this weekend and I'll be taking my watered down Gatorade with me again. Would totally suck on race day if either one of those were fine alone but somehow made me sick when combined!

LRB

This has me thinking about something. Do people actually do that? I'm scared shitless (yes, pun intended) of the PM ruining a great marathon that took so long and so much effort to prepare for.

I was wondering if people actually took those drugs before running. I am sure some people have tried them, but anybody here? What was your experience like ?

These things are usually worked out during training, or should be.

Each marathon pace run is a mini-rehearsal (at least for me they are). I experiment with shoes, clothing, food and nutrition during this time and the closer you get to the race the more important these runs become.

This is where you learn that the singlet you were dead set on racing in chafes your arm pits at 16 miles, or the shorts you picked out bunches up while running marathon pace despite not doing so on your 18 mile long easy run.

By race day morning there should be no surprises provided your body does not rebel on you.

Zelanie

Cyberic, I take 2 Imodium an hour before all of my races. I also have very strict rules about what I eat in the 24 hours before my race. I have had to stop during two races even with that, but both times it was when I hadn't run a sufficient warm up. What I seem to be able to prevent with that is the multiple stops and horrible stomach cramps that I often  sometimes get in training.

I've cleared the Imodium with my doctor and she has no concerns with me taking it during races. I think she'd have me take it more often, actually, but I'd prefer to have it as something extra for when it really matters.

The nice thing about a marathon is that you're on the course long enough that a stop is going to do a lot less to affect your overall time. Especially for a first marathon, is your goal time so exact that a 2 minute stop is going to make a huge difference? But if the meds can keep it to 1 stop (especially if you don't have much of a warmup), then so much the better.

From the Internet.

Each marathon pace run is a mini-rehearsal (at least for me they are). I experiment with shoes, clothing, food and nutrition during this time and the closer you get to the race the more important these runs become.

This is where you learn that the singlet you were dead set on racing in chafes your arm pits at 16 miles, or the shorts you picked out bunches up while running marathon pace despite not doing so on your 18 mile long easy run.

By race day morning there should be no surprises provided your body does not rebel on you.

Hence the new shorts I just bought :P One of my previous favorites for shorter runs gets very scratchy after about 8 miles, it turns out.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Awesome!  My former running partner just texted me that he got into Chicago too. I'll be up there spectating.

Sweet!

Andrea, I got all my wisdom teeth taken out at once.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

My husband takes Imodiums before races. He never practiced taking them during runs and never had issues. Sometimes they don't work for him.

Damaris

happylily

I did something different in my last race: I ate more two days out and had a larger than usual breakfast and lunch the day before the race, but I kept supper on a lighter side. I woke up at 6 am, had my bagel with PB, made my way to the AV and waited there two hours, until 11 am, before the race started. During that time, I ate half an energy bar, and a couple of those small chewy things just to calm my nerves. And I sipped some water. I was fine during the race as far as the PM goes and I never felt hungry, even though it was almost 3 pm when I finished running. I also did not fuel (my mistake), but I drank Gatorade at the aid stations.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Cyberic

You're right. But that would mean taking Immodium like every week to try it out. Hmmm, not too excited about the idea of taking drugs like that. Drugs that don't make me hallucinate I mean 

B-Plus

GinnyinPA

If you don't have issues during your long runs prior to the race, I wouldn't bother with Immodium.  I get the trots after a run sometimes from the Gu, but haven't had any issues during a run or a race.  Before my marathon, I was especially careful about fiber intake (which I don't normally restrict) aside from eating my usual Raisin Bran breakfast.  The cereal did it's usual job of cleaning out my system.  During and after the race there were no problems.

At my race I talked to two guys who were Marathon Maniacs.  One had run 105 marathons.  The other said he had run NY 35 times.

LRB

Spent 45 minutes in the yard after work. Though I despise the hell out of it, I am really good at it.

workinprogress11

5 easy miles, no yard work.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I CAN WALK!!!    

I would leave it like that but oh well, I took Dorian and Rocky for a 3 mile walk this afternoon. Nice and easy and just under an hour, the legs felt good even on the uphills.

As much as I don't want to, I guess I will call the oral surgeon place and make an appointment  I hate the dentist lol.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)