Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES: Sit (Read 39 times)

LRB

I have a two hour seminar this morning. It's just what I need with an overbooked schedule. 👎 👎

delicate flower

Hi!  Speaking of sitting, I am halfway through a four hour meeting at our technology center.  This place is sweet...I wish my office was here.  And there are little bowls of candy everywhere.  Starburst and Lemonheads!

2500 yard swim before work, and a tempo run to do tonight.  I took a rest day yesterday because I was feeling lazy, but I did sign up for the Anchorage Marathon in June, so there is that.

<3

Cyberic

Intervals to be run at lunch. I'm thinking 800s with 400s jog recovery. 6 of them would be nice, but I'll probably only have time for 5. Unless I skip the 5 minutes cool down I usually do. I'll see.

No answer from the dude I contacted with my $200 proposal, yet. Hope he's not insulted with my offer, 

LRB

Hi!  Speaking of sitting, I am halfway through a four hour meeting at our technology center.  This place is sweet...I wish my office was here.  And there are little bowls of candy everywhere.  Starburst and Lemonheads!

2500 yard swim before work, and a tempo run to do tonight.  I took a rest day yesterday because I was feeling lazy, but I did sign up for the Anchorage Marathon in June, so there is that.

Is that held during the normal daylight period? Or was the 6 months of darkness I was taught as a kid Alaska has an untruth?

delicate flower

Is that held during the normal daylight period? Or was the 6 months of darkness I was taught as a kid Alaska has an untruth?

It is during daylight.  I assume the 7:30 AM start will be just like any other marathon.

<3

zzyzx

yesterday was lots of lifting and 31 minutes on the exercise bike. Today was lat pulldown, pec fly, and standing calf and a 3/4 stair challenge.

Saturday is a moment of truth day. I haven't run a distance in way too long. I need to go 7 if I'm going to sign up for the Hot Chocolate 15k.

LRB

It is during daylight.  I assume the 7:30 AM start will be just like any other marathon.

Excellent. Then you will win. 👍

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You only get the full 6 months of no sun above the Arctic Circle.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

sdWhiskers

I'm feeling the hour of upper body work that I did last night. Still made it up this morning for 6.7 miles in the dark fog.

My job typically has me standing/walking as much as I'm sitting. The downside is that since I spend 90% of most days in a lab that means no eating or drinking at my desk. To keep up the hydration, I usually make myself drink at least a cup of water at every meeting I have. Many people snack at lot at work but I actually have to put in a lot of effort to snack, since I can't eat at my desk.

GinnyinPA

In June in Alaska you have the opposite issue: it doesn't ever get fully dark around the solstice. The sun goes down around 11:30 to midnight, but there is still twilight. The sun then comes up around 3 or 4 in the morning. When camping there, we would get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and have no idea whether it was 2 am or 6 am.  We also went on short hikes at 10 pm. It is fun, but can be weird if you're not used to it.

RunningOnSand

In June in Alaska you have the opposite issue: it doesn't ever get fully dark around the solstice. The sun goes down around 11:30 to midnight, but there is still twilight. The sun then comes up around 3 or 4 in the morning. When camping there, we would get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and have no idea whether it was 2 am or 6 am.  We also went on short hikes at 10 pm. It is fun, but can be weird if you're not used to it.

I would think this would drive me crazy and throw off my circadian rhythm.

Baboon, I think you should get some mileage awarded to you for signing up for a marathon (we all should, actually).

Cyber, I thought your offer was fair. I don't see how he would have been offended, but that's just me.

I did 5 on the TM. My illness is moving into my chest...so that with every inhale during my "warmup period" (whatever the hell that was, since the whole run was at an easy pace) it felt like my chest was either on fire or I was breathing through ice cubes. Good times.

So, runners--What would you do? I'm jonesin' to run a flat marathon course this fall. Nowhere too warm. Coach suggests Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon. Via the Google, it's a fast, flat course. Small (<3000 runners) and well run. It's in Oct in WI so temps are probably pretty good. Plus, it's within driving distance, but I still have to get a hotel and not be at home. But I've never run it and it gets good reviews.

ETA: I'd probably get more "crowd support" (from family/friends) if I run the TCM, and with Milwaukee it'd just be me and my husband, who isn't a runner, but would cheer me on. And then I'd probably hop in the car after the marathon and drive home (5'ish hours).

OR

Run the Twin Cities Marathon again. It's in my city, so no need to drive anywhere or rent a hotel or anything. But the course can bottleneck at times, and the last 4'ish miles are a gradual slow uphill in the sun, very little to no shade. I've run it 3x before, and it is really stunning.

So--what would you guys do?

Cyberic

6 x (800m w/ 2 min)

MTA: Thanks ROS Smile

Half Crazy K 2.0

ROS, are any of those the one that was short this past year and long the year prior?

Bert-o

I lost my rama

So, runners--What would you do? I'm jonesin' to run a flat marathon course this fall. Nowhere too warm. Coach suggests Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon. Via the Google, it's a fast, flat course. Small (<3000 runners) and well run. It's in Oct in WI so temps are probably pretty good. Plus, it's within driving distance, but I still have to get a hotel and not be at home. But I've never run it and it gets good reviews.

ETA: I'd probably get more "crowd support" (from family/friends) if I run the TCM, and with Milwaukee it'd just be me and my husband, who isn't a runner, but would cheer me on. And then I'd probably hop in the car after the marathon and drive home (5'ish hours).

OR

Run the Twin Cities Marathon again. It's in my city, so no need to drive anywhere or rent a hotel or anything. But the course can bottleneck at times, and the last 4'ish miles are a gradual slow uphill in the sun, very little to no shade. I've run it 3x before, and it is really stunning.

So--what would you guys do?

If you feel like you're having a good training cycle and a decent shot at a new PR (or other goal), I'd go for Milwaukee.  A smaller field of runners makes a big difference, IMO:

a. no bottlenecks, weaving, bobbing, missing tangents

b. easier at aid stations

c. can see turns from afar and align yourself accordingly

To me, this offsets crowd support (and even in smaller races, having the occasional locals cheer you does help too).  Of course weather always being the x-factor.

I knocked off 6 minutes from my previous PR running a smaller race on a faster course, and I was probably in the same shape.

OTOH - For fun factor, I'd still go with hometown.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

RunningOnSand

ROS, are any of those the one that was short this past year and long the year prior?

Great question--no, I think that was the Milwaukee Marathon (not the Milwaukee Lakefront--which, IMO, is confusing!).

ETA (Or as you all would say, MTA Big grin ): ... Bert: I think a PR is a definite probability possibility, but Milwaukee Lakefront will probably yield a bigger PR. I've never run a marathon that I've had to travel to, so I'm just unsure how big a deal it is to deal with food, hotels, etc.