Beginners and Beyond

How many miles per week do you really need for marathon training (Read 105 times)

PADRunner

Dup

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

With the exception of the short runs I was doing on the 5th day to ease into 5 days of running I don't think I've done anything under 4 miles since I resumed full running after being injured. I'm considering bumping those 3 milers up to at least 4 in the first few weeks.....that would put me at 26 miles the first week of the plan (which starts the 28th), which is about what I did last week (26.5) and about what I'm planning this week (26-27)

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

ORLY!  ;p

Ok, Kristin.  I will back off my usual "Higdon is an idiotic jackass" stance for just a minute, only because onemile has used his plan to run a successful marathon.  But!  I still can't endorse all those short easy days.  Regardless of intended pace, a marathon is 26.2 miles for all of us, and running a bunch of 4-5 milers is counterproductive.  Since you are not a novice, I would suggest ramping up your mileage as much as your schedule and your comfort allows.  15-20 miles a week is not going to cut it, but 35-40 *might*.  Peaking at more than that is recommended.   The more times you can manage double-digit runs, the better off you are going to be on race day, especially if you work your way up to at least a few 18-20 milers that do not feel overwhelming.

Distance, distance, distance.  Work towards it gradually, replace some of those 4-5 time wasters with 7-10s as your confidence and fitness improve.  Do the long runs as you get to them.  Do *some* of your work at your intended race-day pace, even if it's only a quarter of a day's mileage.  Monitor your health, if something hurts beyond just being sore and tired, don't push through it, go on the bike or elliptical or rest for a day or two.

Run a lot, stay healthy, reap the rewards.

This, all of this.

You people have issues 

DavePNW

This, all of this.

Almost as if Jay knows what the hell he's doing. That boy is going to put up some impressive times someday.

Dave

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Almost as if Jay knows what the hell he's doing. That boy is going to put up some impressive times someday.

Jay would definitely be the one to listen to....lol

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

BUT HE'LL NEVER KNOW THE PAIN OF A 5 HOUR MARATHON

You people have issues 

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Never say never!  He might slow a bit when he gets to be 75.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Read his 50 miler RR

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

You people have issues 

DavePNW

^ JHFC.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

^ do not want.

<3

shu_runner

Looks like fire which is likely accurate, since I imagine everything on me would burn straight to the ground if I attempted that.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Half Crazy K 2.0

With the exception of the short runs I was doing on the 5th day to ease into 5 days of running I don't think I've done anything under 4 miles since I resumed full running after being injured. I'm considering bumping those 3 milers up to at least 4 in the first few weeks.....that would put me at 26 miles the first week of the plan (which starts the 28th), which is about what I did last week (26.5) and about what I'm planning this week (26-27)

Have you considering running for time (vs distance) during the work week? I bumped up from 20-25 to 30-ish starting in January by doing 3 1 hour runs during the week and longer on weekends. I'm not fast, so those 1 hour runs were in the 5.5 to 5.75 mile range, for some others, an hour is probably 7 or 8 miles. Just thinking if you have time constraints during the week, it may make it easier to think in terms of time, since it is easier to put that block in your schedule (ok, I'm gonna run from 4-5pm). If/when your schedule opens, by all means run longer. it may make your mileage jump up ad down a little, but take advantage of that extra time when you get it. I think I had spikes this winter during the 2 weeks I had 6 snow days, what else was I going to do?

LRB

Fuck no.

Not then, not now, not ever.