Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #174 (Read 25 times)

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Good Monday Moaning! (Dave and LRB - do you remember the Bob Talbert columns in the Free Press...)

no run day for me.  did upper body and leg strength stuff this morning.

Have a good start to your week!

LRB

Good Monday Moaning! (Dave and LRB - do you remember the Bob Talbert columns in the Free Press...)

I do. Did he cover boxing? 🤔

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Morning

Hit the gym this morning, for Delts.

Ended up running 7.1 miles afterward, the plan was 6 but oh well.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

I ran 5 in 50 minutes.

It didn't necessarily suck and I was unbothered.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! I have an RD today.

Finished my 12 week weights program and now looking for the next thing while I'm still working from home. Thinking some kickboxing until I am back in the office. Stay tuned.

Damaris

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

I do. Did he cover boxing? 🤔

he was a daily feature columnist but looks like he did some sports writing as well; not sure if he did at the Freep.

https://mijournalismhalloffame.org/talbert/://mijournalismhalloffame.org/talbert/

Bob Talbert
              Inducted 2001

Bob Talbert

Bob Talbert was a native South Carolinian, but in the 31 years he spent as a columnist in his adopted home of Detroit, the city loved him as its own.

Born in 1936, Talbert carved a niche as a sportswriter, editor and columnist at The State newspaper in Columbia, S.C. In 1968, he was hired-with some trepidation-by the Detroit Free Press. Then-city editor Neal Shine wondered if Talbert’s down-home style was too “country” to work in the metropolis of Detroit. But readers took to him immediately and made him the most read and recognizable columnist at the paper.

Readers loved Talbert for his folksy wit and sense of community. In a city of more than a million people, he saw his fellow Detroiters as neighbors, whether they lived down the street or across Eight Mile Road. He immersed himself in the community about which he wrote, so it was not uncommon for readers to one day find themselves mentioned in his column.

Talbert was a dedicated journalist as well. In his three decades at the Free Press, he wrote an estimated 9,000 columns. While most columnists are content to write a few times a week, Talbert wrote as many as seven columns a week for many years. The sheer volume of his work endeared him to readers.

As important as writing was to Talbert, he equally valued his commitments to his community and to journalism education. Volunteering for numerous charities, he helped raise money for organizations throughout the state. His many years of involvement in the Michigan Interscholastic Press Association inspired high school journalists to reach for the lofty heights that Talbert so eloquently occupied.

Talbert died in 1999, but he and his words stay with his readers. As Michigan actor Jeff Daniels wrote: “He wrote for us. About us. To us. But never above us.”

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

We finally started Phase 1 office reopening today. One person will be in the office Tuesdays and Fridays opening the mail, etc. Although I'm at risk and could delay my return until Phase 3, I told the boss to put me in rotation as I don't think it's a high risk going to my office and being the only one there. Anyway, we shall see the schedule; doubt us attorneys will go to open the mail until all the staff has done it once.

Damaris

LRB

he was a daily feature columnist but looks like he did some sports writing as well; not sure if he did at the Freep.

https://mijournalismhalloffame.org/talbert/://mijournalismhalloffame.org/talbert/

I think I had Bob Talbert mixed up with George Puscas. It's all a little fuzzy now but at one time in my life I read both daily papers here from front to back and could name the starters on each team in each of the four major sports in America. Now I can't even name the starters on the four teams here. lol

3 flat mostly slightly elevated

it is very odd here, we’ve had tons for rain, but no mosquitoes ????  I was out doing chores in the yard before I ran ... no mosquitoes ???

Cyberic

I feel like shit today for some reason. Woke up like that. My run was not fun, my work is not fun. Hopefully that meh feeling will pass soon.

11ish with 4 strides.

DavePNW

I think I had Bob Talbert mixed up with George Puscas. It's all a little fuzzy now but at one time in my life I read both daily papers here from front to back and could name the starters on each team in each of the four major sports in America. Now I can't even name the starters on the four teams here. lol

Why would you want to remember anything about the 4 local teams there right now? 

Yes I remember Talbert, and for some reason I also remember him writing sports. But my brain is mush right now. I used to work with a guy whose last name was Puscas, and his dad was George but not the same one. He told the story that when he was a kid, the phone rings one time, he picks it up, and it’s Jimmy the Greek, trying to reach the other George Puscas.

I was a loyal Freep reader (never the News!) for a long time. At some point gave up because it got terrible. Or might have been during the 2008 recession when they actually stopped home delivery. Anyway the columnist I hated most was the TV writer, Mike something I think. He had the cheesiest writing style, plus when he would review new shows he would give away the whole plot. WTF. I learned to avoid his column if it was something I wanted to watch. And then just completely avoid it anyway.

7 miles. Still pretty slow but nothing too out of the ordinary for an early morning, and actually felt better than the last few days.

Dave

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Freep guy here; that's just what was delivered when I was a kid. And, they sponsored the marathon!

I was the same way with the sports teams. Looked at every baseball box score when I was a kid. Kind of miss that in a way but I think that's mostly that's the old man in me talking...

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Why would you want to remember anything about the 4 local teams there right now? 

it is a sad state of affairs these days. At least the Tigers have some promising pitchers who may help in a year or two.

LRB

Yes I remember Talbert, and for some reason I also remember him writing sports. But my brain is mush right now. I used to work with a guy whose last name was Puscas, and his dad was George but not the same one. He told the story that when he was a kid, the phone rings one time, he picks it up, and it’s Jimmy the Greek, trying to reach the other George Puscas.

I was a loyal Freep reader (never the News!) for a long time. At some point gave up because it got terrible. Or might have been during the 2008 recession when they actually stopped home delivery. Anyway the columnist I hated most was the TV writer, Mike something I think. He had the cheesiest writing style, plus when he would review new shows he would give away the whole plot. WTF. I learned to avoid his column if it was something I wanted to watch. And then just completely avoid it anyway.

7 miles. Still pretty slow but nothing too out of the ordinary for an early morning, and actually felt better than the last few days.

I subscribed to the Freep until Barry retired. That was when then columnist Charlie Vincent decided to play devil's advocate and place the blame for Barry leaving, on Barry. What?? The nerve! I was incensed. I actually wrote a letter to the editor. lol I don't think poor Charlie was ready for the grief that accompanied his take, people were pissed. Anyway, I cited his column as the reason I was canceling my subscription which I'm sure went over well in the editor's office. Those were the days when I was vested in the teams. That's not the case anymore, not even close. In fact, I couldn't care less about any of them.

KCRuns

Good morning!  I did run/walk for 3.5 miles.  Our lakefront trail officially reopened today.  New rules are it is for running, walking and cycling only, you must wear a mask at all times (I did not nor did most everybody out there) and you have to keep moving.  No stopping or standing, no gathering, etc.  I only saw two people wearing a mask and there were several people fishing and at least one girl laying out on a towel reading.  There are supposed to be monitors out there reminding us all of the rules, but I didn't see anybody.  I did have a buff around my neck that I could pull up if needed, but it was fine.

I stopped at the grocery on my way home for milk and ice cream.  I walked the half mile home, which brought me to 4 miles total this morning.  It is surprisingly difficult to carry a gallon of milk for a half mile.

I was doing some research last night online about running with a mask so I could be prepared if it came to that, and saw several articles talk about a company called Zensah making one specifically for running that is supposed to be easier to breathe through, so I ordered two to try them out.  https://www.zensah.com/products/performance-face-mask