Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #174 (Read 25 times)

DavePNW

Of interest to KCR and any fans of Chicago-style pizza: for my Father’s Day dinner, DW had Lou Malnati’s shipped to us. Yum.

Dave

DavePNW

Freep guy here; that's just what was delivered when I was a kid. And, they sponsored the marathon!

I was the same way with the sports teams. Looked at every baseball box score when I was a kid. Kind of miss that in a way but I think that's mostly that's the old man in me talking...

Oh yeah I used to pore over the box scores every day. Studied them like there was going to be a test. This was growing up in Chicago as a Cub fan, reading the Tribune (never the Sun-Times!).  I hated when the Cubs were on West Coast road trips because the games were too late for the box scores to show up in the morning paper. And I hated that my parents always bought the Sunday paper on Saturday (to get a early jump on the ads), because I could not get Saturday box scores.

Dave

onemile

Of interest to KCR and any fans of Chicago-style pizza: for my Father’s Day dinner, DW had Lou Malnati’s shipped to us. Yum.

We actually have a location near Milwaukee now and another one coming soon

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sadly, we don't have a Lou Malnatis (closer one is in Chicago). We have some Giordano's but the last time I went there was while working in downtown. We only have two of them.

Damaris

KCRuns

She must love you a lot!  Lou's is pretty good, I like that one.

To start a debate though, I'll go ahead and declare that Pequod's is the best deep dish and Aurelio's is the best thin crust in Chicago.

onemile

To start a debate though, I'll go ahead and declare that Pequod's is the best deep dish and Aurelio's is the best thin crust in Chicago.

I'll go ahead and declare that I don't really like Chicago style deep dish pizza.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I'll go ahead and declare that I don't really like Chicago style deep dish pizza.

+1

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

We have an Aurelio's here, but no idea if it's the same as Chicago. We do have a lot of NY style pizzerias around us which is what we like so we haven't ventured far from that yet.

Damaris

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

+ 0.5

LRB

+ 0.5

lol

I'll have a couple slices every now and again. Chicago style deep dish pizza is a LOAD though, like, you need a wheelchair to get to your car after eating it. Bloof!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

lol

I'll have a couple slices every now and again. Chicago style deep dish pizza is a LOAD though, like, you need a wheelchair to get to your car after eating it. Bloof!

Right? I order the mini ones for lunch near the office and even eating 3/4 of it I feel like a whale the rest of the afternoon, lol.

Damaris

sdWhiskers

Same here.

Taking a break from running. Zwifted for almost 90 min instead. I also didn't get out of bed until after 8am. Not sure what is wrong with me, not feeling sick just very Blah.

LRB

Right? I order the mini ones for lunch near the office and even eating 3/4 of it I feel like a whale the rest of the afternoon, lol.

It's definitely filling, but a 2 inch thick layer of bread, cheese and oil will do that.

I'm more of a thin crust guy, but was totally underwhelmed with New York City's offerings. And to think, I actually went 3 months without pizza during MRT so I could gobble it up guilt free and it turned out to be nothing special. Like, I'm not even sure them people know what good pizza is. 

LRB

Same here.

Taking a break from running. Zwifted for almost 90 min instead. I also didn't get out of bed until after 8am. Not sure what is wrong with me, not feeling sick just very Blah.

You're at 190 miles over the last 30 days, that's probably pulling on you.

DavePNW

She must love you a lot!  Lou's is pretty good, I like that one.

Pequod's is certainly the choice of many, especially in the north burbs where I grew up. I don't know Aurelio's. One of my favorite thin crusts though was Papa Dell's, in Champaign where I went to school. Lou's is not necessarily one of my top picks, but any port in a storm - they're the one that ships. We do actually have one Chicago-style deep dish place in Seattle - it is legit, the real deal. But not very close to us, so we haven't been there much.

I guess all the deep dish haters in this group help explain why you can't find it easily outside of Chicago.

Dave