Beginners and Beyond

WSJ on the demise of running (Read 67 times)

Brilliant

Did anybody see the 2 Wall Street Journal articles in the last 10 days on the demise of running & racing?  I'll post the links but not sure if you have to be a subscriber to read them.

How Millennials Ended the Running Boom

Obstacle racing finds itself stuck-in-the-mud

Basically the first article says that both race numbers AND the number of overall runners is down sharply in the last 3 years.  The only groups that are growing are 45-64 and 65+.  Apparently running is too boring for millennials.  The funny thing is that the accompanying photo is of a color run which was obviously more about the rainbow colored cornstarch than actual running.  And speaking of fads...

The second article says that obstacle racing (Spartan, etc) went from the fastest growing sport in history, to a 30% decline last year.  Seems it was a fad, too.

I thought it was really interesting that the masters ranks are growing.  Most of the runners I know are masters, but I figured that was just because that's my group so that's who I hang with.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I had seen this on RW. I'm new to the Masters ranks, but it doesn't surprise me much that growth is in the Masters ranks. Typically, masters have more disposable income than a young 20 somethings. I know when I was doing bike races in my 20s, I did so way less frequently than I do running races. That was ntry fee  cut into my going out money!

Brilliant

I had seen this on RW. I'm new to the Masters ranks, but it doesn't surprise me much that growth is in the Masters ranks. Typically, masters have more disposable income than a young 20 somethings. I know when I was doing bike races in my 20s, I did so way less frequently than I do running races. That was ntry fee  cut into my going out money!

I hadn't really thought about that - I was thinking how cheap running can be compared to other sports, if all you need is  pair of shoes.  But you're right, racing is expensive.  I and other members of my club spend a crap ton on racing, travel, etc!

Half Crazy K 2.0

Yep. And it adds up. I don't think much about spending $25-30 every 2 weeks, but gripe about the active surcharge. 

onemile

I guess I am a millennial according to this definition but I am all about the competitive aspect of racing and not at all interested in fun runs or obstacle mud pits. I have no interest in gimmicky runs, untimed runs or anything but a well marked, timed, measured course.

Cyberic

Running is boring. My kids will do just about anything fun, and running is not on their list, because it is not fun. What is appealing to masters, maybe, is the simplicity of the activity, and the results (calories burnt for some, performance for others) achieved by doing it.

I guess I am a millennial according to this definition but I am all about the competitive aspect of racing and not at all interested in fun runs or obstacle mud pits. I have no interest in gimmicky runs, untimed runs or anything but a well marked, timed, measured, flat course.

Forgot something.

All I can say is there are some fast old dudes out there. I thought turning 50 would help in AG placing, but I've run plenty of races where I would've placed higher in lower AGs.

Dave

LRB

I don't know that the number of runners is going down, but I do know the price of 5ks is going up. Race day registration for 5ks is now routinely north of $35, and sometimes much higher depending on the event. And while increased costs for event permits may have something to do with that, it is most likely a direct result of finisher's medals becoming the rule and not the exception. The irony there of course is that some of those who expect medals for completing a 5k (the article would have you think that this applies only to millennials, but that is not the case), are no longer signing up for the events!

Hip Redux

I generally think this is just a normalization, which I think the WSJ brought up.   It was not reasonable to think races/running was going to continue to grow at the rate it had been.   Certainly when I was in my 20s, no one I knew did a ton of races. (I also walked to school uphill in the snow.)

Cyberic

I don't know that the number of runners is going down, but I do know the price of 5ks is going up. Race day registration for 5ks is now routinely north of $35, and sometimes much higher depending on the event. And while increased costs for event permits may have something to do with that, it is most likely a direct result of finisher's medals becoming the rule and not the exception. The irony there of course is that some of those who expect medals for completing a 5k (the article would have you think that this applies only to millennials, but that is not the case), are no longer signing up for the events!

Sell your medals on ebay, and get some of your regsitration money back!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

IMHO, the millenials stop running when their parents start running 🙄

IMHO, the millenials stop running when their parents start running 🙄

Yup, same reason they all stopped using Facebook.

Dave

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Here's more big news.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-women-took-over-the-world-of-running-1463415987

onemile

Here's more big news.

This is why running is going downhill.

Here's more big news.

Yeah this isn't too surprising, based on recent experience. Although some of the numbers are higher than expected - 61% of half marathoners! As well as how dramatically & how quickly the ratios have flipped.

There seem to be a bunch of "women's races" these days; I've looked at some due to timing or convenience. Men are not forbidden to enter, but usually excluded from awards. Have yet to pull the trigger on one; It would probably be fine, but I think I'd feel a little weird about it.

Dave