Beginners and Beyond

To push it or not to push it (this saturday's HM) (Read 79 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I wouldn't be carrying a 39 and a half foot pole 

Not even as a pacer?

Damaris

LRB

MothAudio

Okay so this Saturday is the Evansville Half Marathon and that will mark 4 weeks until my debut marathon (!!!!!!!).

My question is, should I take it easy and enjoy it, counting it as part of lr mileage (I have a trail 5k later in the evening) or can I give a little effort without jeopardizing my marathon training or the marathon experience itself?

I don't want togo "all out" this Saturday, I just want another sub 2 hour finish. Am I making any sense?

Not really.

I've run 100s of races and maybe have run 1 or 2 as a training run / finisher what-not. Especially given the cost of entry fees, it doesn't make fiscal sense to do them as training runs but whatever. Instead I would take advantage of the situation for your upcoming marathon. Practice new gels, fluids, supplements, shoes. Do some [marathon] race pace miles. Seems like an excellent opportunity to make it a speed endurance workout [assuming the course isn't too congested]. You could also add some warm / cool down miles and turn it into a long run.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

happylily

Not really.

I've run 100s of races and maybe have run 1 or 2 as a training run / finisher what-not. Especially given the cost of entry fees, it doesn't make fiscal sense to do them as training runs but whatever. Instead I would take advantage of the situation for your upcoming marathon. Practice new gels, fluids, supplements, shoes. Do some [marathon] race pace miles. Seems like an excellent opportunity to make it a speed endurance workout [assuming the course isn't too congested]. You could also add some warm / cool down miles and turn it into a long run.

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking she should do.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking she should do.

Me too.

Damaris

MothAudio

I used to think that as well. But having raced HMs hard in the middle of training and not being able to recover properly for the remaining weeks. and then getting to marathon race day in a less than ideal state, I will now either avoid HMs in the middle of marathon training, or taper and recover for them (thus adjusting my training cycle for them), or run them at a lesser effort. I just can't get all I want anymore.

I've rarely benefited from a hard HM during my marathon cycle, especially the 2nd half. When I set my 2nd fastest grand master marathon I used a trio of 10ks. Then hit on a formula during my half marathon training that worked out even better - 14k four weeks out. That gave me an excellent workout, faster than race pace, but I was still able to jump right back into training the following week. Racing a half marathon to the max is just to brutal for a tune up race.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

happylily

And, Andrea, you should have an idea of what pace you will need in your marathon. Even first timers who just want to finish strong need a pace to guide them. If you are thinking of a sub-4:30, I would suggest trying to run 10 miles at 10:00 in the middle of your HM. Maybe add one or two warm-up miles before the race and 2 or 3 cool down miles after. This would give you a 17-18 mile LR for the day, with some miles at goal pace. A 10:00 pace would give you a 4:22 finish time, which I think is reasonable for you.

DavePNW

And, Andrea, you should have an idea of what pace you will need in your marathon. Even first timers who just want to finish strong need a pace to guide them. If you are thinking of a sub-4:30, I would suggest trying to run 10 miles at 10:00 in the middle of your HM. Maybe add one or two warm-up miles before the race and 2 or 3 cool down miles after. This would give you a 17-18 mile LR for the day, with some miles at goal pace. A 10:00 pace would give you a 4:22 finish time, which I think is reasonable for you.

That won't get her the sub-2:00 HM she wants.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hello?  Her prior comment was that we cannot have it all! :-)

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Oh my fucking god I hate touchscreens damn it!!!!

You guys are confusing me.... or maybe it is just my frustration with the nook and my phone 

I have an idea on what my pace or even finish time will be....but when going into the "unknown", saying it out loud to others feels...arrogant, at least for me. 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

lol, those poles aren't that long......are they? I suck at measurement.

It comes in handy sometimes!

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Oh my fucking god I hate touchscreens damn it!!!!

You guys are confusing me.... or maybe it is just my frustration with the nook and my phone 

I have an idea on what my pace or even finish time will be....but when going into the "unknown", saying it out loud to others feels...arrogant, at least for me. 

Not to mention all that happen the day of the race that might be completely out of my control, I just don't like making a prediction and stating it out loud when doing something for the first time. But if it makes you all happy, I will state a goal finish time a few days before the race 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

It comes in handy sometimes!

I'd rather just whip it out and wing it 

PRs

onemile

My theory is if you put your goal out there it is more likely to happen.

happylily

Crap, you're right. She needs a 9:06 pace for a 1:59:00 time. But it sounds like a 4:30, and even a 4:20 marathon isn't a "real" goal. Maybe her goal is a sub-4:00? In that case, 9:06 would work perfectly.

Come on, FS, you gotta give us some numbers if you want help! What do you think you're capable of? We all understand that it's conditional on perfect race day conditions and how you will feel that day. We've all been there.