Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES: Skyfall (Read 36 times)

onemile

I got him to finally admit I know more about this than he does when he put on a pair of Launch 5s and fell straight up in love with those bitches. 

I tried out the Launch 5 for the first time for my run today.  For 50 bucks I thought they were worth a try and my first impression is they aren't a whole lot different from the Ghost... which are not on sale anywhere in my size.  Wore them for 8 miles and felt fine.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I hate being sick. Everything seems harder. Today the cold was getting to me, tomorrow we're getting snow, and it will be harder to run in. Can't I just fast forward my life to when I'm not sick anymore?

I'm on Week 5 of feeling like shit and cannot breathe or run well.  Yes, please.  CAN WE JUST GET TO THAT POINT ALREADY?

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Two weeks! Where are they shipping it from? Dang! That's a long time.

WiP, yay!!! It sounds like you're on the mend for sure!

I think it's coming via horse buggy.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Did B 1 ever show up?

Yes, at 11:30am!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks...I almost bailed less than two miles in because I was having a hard time breathing in the cold air. Once my lungs opened up, it got a lot easier. It's weird how much easier running is when you can breathe.  #damaris

Smile

No words...cause I can barely breathe.

Ran 4 outside.  Super windy so my lungs sort of said FTS, so I switched with Saturday's run.  Oh, and get this. Whatever is going on with my meds, I now had to wear a tech shirt in 55F and was fucking freezing.  That's normally tank weather for me but nope, WTF.

Damaris

DavePNW

Got a box o' Gu in the mail, can't wait to play "what flavor sounds like it will be the least disgusting at mile 20" roulette.

Your answer: Espresso Love.

Dave

onemile

Your answer: Espresso Love.

yes, this is true. although sometimes it's fun to try a new flavor at mile 20 because then you can't anticipate the grossness, you just put it in your mouth and try not to gag.

LRB

yes, this is true. although sometimes it's fun to try a new flavor at mile 20 because then you can't anticipate the grossness, you just put it in your mouth and try not to gag.

If I am eating any flavor GU at mile 20, #winning

Half Crazy K 2.0

6 miles.

RunningOnSand

Espresso Love.

I do GU Roctane and I don't think they have this flavor. I have a bunch of weird flavors. I'm also like LRB--I just grab whatever my hands can manage and eat that one (although during marathons (ha, I am still laughing at myself...b/c I've only run 1 in the last few years) I only consume caffeinated ones), but sloshed down with LOTS of water.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I just got my second variety box from Amazon (I got the first one back in August, I think). After years of playing favorites, now I just gobble down whatever my hand pulls out of my fanny pouch. Smile

Seriously though, the Jet Blackberry and Chocolate Outrage could rule my inner sanctum. But yeah, choosing GU flavors for a marathon takes WORK.

Did they stop selling the chocolate peanut butter gu? I went on there and didn't see it anywhere, bought a box of 8 chocolate outrage and a box of 8 tri-berry gu's.

I really liked the chocolate peanut butter ones, I could stomach them the most after 15 miles...

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

DavePNW

The marathon sequence (one every 6 miles): Tri-Berry, Jet Blackberry, Vanilla (or Salted Caramel), Espresso Love.

I am actually OK with almost all Gu flavors. EXCEPT the Chocolate Outrage. Which is weird because I love everything chocolate. But that stuff has the consistency of fudge, and cannot be choked down on the run.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

The marathon sequence (one every 6 miles): Tri-Berry, Jet Blackberry, Vanilla (or Salted Caramel), Espresso Love.

I am actually OK with almost all Gu flavors. EXCEPT the Chocolate Outrage. Which is weird because I love everything chocolate. But that stuff has the consistency of fudge, and cannot be choked down on the run.

I like the chocolate outrage, but during hot long runs.... nope... I prefer the strawberry banana or orange whatever. I keep trying to buy a box of 8 mint chocolates cause I want to try them but it keeps saying unavailable, I don't want to buy a box of 24 and find out I don't like them damn it.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Cyberic

I take a gu every 40 minutes in a marathon, and in my last marathon, I decided to not even try the 2:40 one. At that point running is a real struggle, and when I tried to gobble down  a gu on top of that in my previous races, those were not experiences I wanted to relive. So I went without, and it went well.

I think more people should consider eating gus before the race starts instead of in the late miles in the race. One gu 30-40 minutes before to have that sugar well digested and available right off the gun, and another 5 minutes before race start that will be available energy about 35 minutes into the race that should last until that first in-race gu gets digested.

With my digestion reasoning, that last gu at mile 20+ won't even give you energy during the race

sdWhiskers

I take a gu every 40 minutes in a marathon, and in my last marathon, I decided to not even try the 2:40 one. At that point running is a real struggle, and when I tried to gobble down  a gu on top of that in my previous races, those were not experiences I wanted to relive. So I went without, and it went well.

I think more people should consider eating gus before the race starts instead of in the late miles in the race. One gu 30-40 minutes before to have that sugar well digested and available right off the gun, and another 5 minutes before race start that will be available energy about 35 minutes into the race that should last until that first in-race gu gets digested.

With my digestion reasoning, that last gu at mile 20+ won't even give you energy during the race

Says the sub 3 marathoner