Beginners and Beyond

Mondailies on the 14th (Read 39 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

It took me about 2:45 this morning, Baboon would do it in about 2:00 flat.

Thanks.  That's a pretty impressive workout for a Monday morning.  Well, for any morning.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Indeed. Martha's Vineyard this weekend? When do you fly out - are you taking some extra time? Hopefully you can; I've never been there there but it of course has quite the reputation as a vacation spot.

We fly into Boston on Thursday at noon, spend the afternoon in Boston and drive to Falmouth Friday morning.  We have to take the ferry both Friday and Saturday (expo and then the race), Saturday night in Boston, flight back home Sunday.  So, yes? 

Damaris

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

We fly into Boston on Thursday at noon, spend the afternoon in Boston and drive to Falmouth Friday morning.  We have to take the ferry both Friday and Saturday (expo and then the race), Saturday night in Boston, flight back home Sunday.  So, yes? 

I have to ask, why not stay on the island instead of an extra ferry trip and all the extra driving?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

KCRuns

KC, is thev weather really bad this morning in Chicago? DH was supposed to fly out of Baltimore at 6:45am. He just texted me that there is another 30 minute delay, so he has yet to leave. Poor guy.

Thunderstorms this morning and heavy fog. Seems to be clearing up now, though we have rain possible all day.

RunningOnSand

6.2 miles with heavy legs.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have to ask, why not stay on the island instead of an extra ferry trip and all the extra driving?

Hotels are very expensive there and, if we had stayed, we would have been stuck on the island from Friday until after the race plus we couldn't take the car there without reserving, paying for it on the ferry and paying a shit ton for parking on the island or Falmouth (if we had left the car on the ferry parking).  Falmouth is where the ferry is and most people will travel via ferry to the race anyway, which leaves us with most of the Cape to see Friday instead of being stuck on the island from early Friday.

Either way, flying there is not a good choice.  It's not that far from boston anyway to drive there.

Damaris

Cyberic

Hotels are very expensive there and, if we had stayed, we would have been stuck on the island from Friday until after the race plus we couldn't take the car there without reserving, paying for it on the ferry and paying a shit ton for parking on the island or Falmouth (if we had left the car on the ferry parking).  Falmouth is where the ferry is and most people will travel via ferry to the race anyway, which leaves us with most of the Cape to see Friday instead of being stuck on the island from early Friday.

Either way, flying there is not a good choice.  It's not that far from boston anyway to drive there.

Spent my vacation on the island twice (two summers in a row). We stayed on the island, but were camping, so the hotels price wasn't an issue. Many people take the ferry on foot, or with their bikes, to spend just a little time on the island. The island is great for biking and for the beaches. Other than that, not that much to do/see.  That was fine with me. I could run in the morning, and chill the rest of the day.

Cyberic

Pay close attention to the stiffness. I've found the something that feels good on a 5 mile run may be uncomfortable and too stiff after 20 miles when my feet are tired.

I'll take them on a 20+ miles long run and decide after that.

For comparison, a half ironman swim is 2100 yards and an Ironman swim is 4200 yards.

Wow! And PR that is one heck of a Monday morning workout!

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Spent my vacation on the island twice (two summers in a row). We stayed on the island, but were camping, so the hotels price wasn't an issue. Many people take the ferry on foot, or with their bikes, to spend just a little time on the island. The island is great for biking and for the beaches. Other than that, not that much to do/see.  That was fine with me. I could run in the morning, and chill the rest of the day.

Yeah, seems like the ferry is a common thing over there.

Damaris

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

A week or two ago, I mentioned Hansons and Pfitzinger/Douglas differed on tapering.  SIAR's note reminded me they differ on recover too.  P/D has two days of rest after a marathon and then starts some running again.  Hansons say no running for 3-5 days after a marathon, and even full rest during that time, and avoid running for 2 weeks though other activities are allowed.  That's a fairly stark contrast.

My plan is to run after work, but plans like that are susceptible to contact with the enemy (i.e. the commute home).

Definitely a noticeable difference on the recoveries. For someone that was only focused on racing marathons, so say 2 a year, having those two weeks off probably works pretty well. If you're someone that doesn't do any other cross training (like myself), then 2 weeks off is probably a bit much. I'd have actually liked a little more time off after my race, but my goal of running every day this year doesn't really allow for that, plus I can't give up 2 weeks of training for my 100 that is rapidly approaching.

As with all this stuff, the best answer is probably just to do whatever works for you Smile

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Just getting the chance to read some weekend dailies...

Fred...Awesome work on the almost 10k. That's great that you got an award for your efforts too. I guess the biking is helping the running!

KC...sorry to read about the rough marathon. Finishing under your own power is a pretty good plus though! I generally shy away from marathons that small for fear of being alone. The camber sounds pretty miserable...they should rethink the course if it's that bad.

Jay...On the Goodr glasses...I have a couple pair of them. We have them in our store, and they're cheap/convenient. They don't bounce at all, and they fit my face nicely. The negative is that the lens coating on both my pairs has scuffed pretty quickly. I don't think it's from me scratching them, but maybe just from my sweat? Either way, I'd say they are worth a try.

Half Crazy...Way to go on the 5k. Being able to finish like that does make you wonder if you left a little out there, but I think you have a way better chance of hitting goal times by doing what you did as opposed to fading in to the finish. And I'd say they definitely messed up on how the awards were done...but congrats on yours!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

sdWhiskers

Home from work today with my little guy. Heading to the doctor soon. It looks kind of like pink eye but not very crusty. Dr Google says probably viral pink eye (aka not cured by eye drops). fml

He feels pretty ok so I got in 5 miles pushing the stroller around a local lake. It's hard to find an easy pace pushing 45 lbs of a question-asking-machine. I always feel like I'm going sooo slow with the stroller but the watch says otherwise.

Coach gave me my workouts for the final 3 weeks before my HM. Oh boy.

sdWhiskers

It took me about 2:45 this morning, Baboon would do it in about 2:00 flat.

Is that your longest ride of the week? Sounds like a badass way to start the week!

sdWhiskers

My plan is to run after work, but plans like that are susceptible to contact with the enemy (i.e. the commute home).

I share your pain. I've experimented with running around work at the end of the day but traffic isn't less awful until quite a bit later so I still get stuck in the madness. And I'd usually rather run at home.