Beginners and Beyond

Question on reading posts... (Read 29 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

When I do my race reports, are only Running Ahead members able to read my race report posts?

If I send some personal friends the link to my race report, will non-members be able to use that link to just see only my report with the photos?  Or do they have to be a member first in order to see the report and photos?

Since I am quite the technology idiot - my knowledge is pretty darn limited, lol - thank you for any information on this.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

When I do my race reports, are only Running Ahead members able to read my race report posts?

It depends on how the group is set up. Here, you do not have to be a member of this group to see the threads in this group. In other groups, you have to join the group to even see any threads. So to answer your question, no, you do not have to be a member of RA to see your posts in the B&B.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yeah like LRB said, anyone with a link can see your RRs here.

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

It depends on how the group is set up. Here, you do not have to be a member of this group to see the threads in this group. In other groups, you have to join the group to even see any threads. So to answer your question, no, you do not have to be a member of RA to see your posts in the B&B.

LRB and Docket Rocket:  I think that may have changed now.  Because the last event I did - the Dragon's Den 5K that I posted here - post is somewhere above - my friends were not able to read the report when I sent them my link.  When they tried to open the link, what it did was take them to the Log In page of the forum, where they would have to either log in as a member, if they were already members, or join Running Ahead and then this group.

This is the first time this has happened in all the years that I've been doing my race reports. So I asked my wife to get on her laptop and try to access my report.  She too got sent to the site's front  Log In page.    I had a couple of trusted runner friends also try, and they got the same result my wife did - right to the log in page, so the could not read my report.

So I think the administrator for this group, whomever that is, has now changed the requirements, and we are now a closed group too.

Thank you for the info,  I just wanted to make sure I was not going crazy or doing something wrong.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

BTW, and also...what does that 'subscription" thing at the top of this forum mean?  It says I have "1" subscription.

Oh, wait..never mind...I figured it out...

LRB

So I think the administrator for this group, whomever that is, has now changed the requirements, and we are now a closed group too.

That would be Damaris and no settings have been changed. We are and always have been an open group. I'll try it from another device and see what happens.

LRB

I tried it and as you can see, the forum option is in the first shot and the join group option is viewable in both screens. So you do not have to be a member to view your post.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Thanks, LRB.

I am thinking also that maybe, since I posted this link on FB for some of my FB friends, that maybe it is something to do with FB and how they have links set up.  Maybe they don't like people from FB going to other forum links, lol.   I would not doubt this at all, as they want to create a giant social media monopoly....

However, I did have 2 friends not on FB who also got the same result - took them to the login page.

That would be Damaris and no settings have been changed. We are and always have been an open group. I'll try it from another device and see what happens.

LRB

However, I did have 2 friends not on FB who also got the same result - took them to the login page.

That would be a penthouse issue. Down here in the basement, we can help you. So you'd have to email eric Smile

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Thank you, LRB!

I tried it and as you can see, the forum option is in the first shot and the join group option is viewable in both screens. So you do not have to be a member to view your post.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Scotty, Eric did some changes recently that might have affect that and we didn't notice. The settings are correct as public but if they cannot access it, it might be a change in RA per se, so email Eric and ask. You can also make a thread in the main forums under the Technical Support forum:

Technical Support Forum

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Thank you, LRB!

I think it has something to do with FB.  Cuz I just got on my FB account and I tried it and it even took me to the Log In screen and not  to the report.   So I think it has something to do with FB and how they have their settings for getting to  other forums.  Very weird,   This only just started happening, so I think they must have just recently changed things.