Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday, October 12 (Read 39 times)

Zelanie

Im happy with my first strength workout last night. I ran the hell out of my legs and am feeling it today. Hopefully I didn't push hard enough to hurt my runs later in the week.

LRB

Good morning!

I got in 9 easy.  Mid 50s and a fresh wind made it nice after the first few minutes.  I did wear the wrong shirt and sanded my nips down a little.  The shower wasn't fun.

I hope everyone has a great day!

You have my sympathies!

I haven't had any issues that way this summer despite not wearing band-aids, it's really weird. Maybe my tits have matured, I don't know.

LRB

I borrowed Pfitz's 7-with-2 dress rehearsal run. Bring it on, marathon!! Off tomorrow, 30-40 minutes easy Friday, West Aussie carb load protocol on Saturday (intense-but-short session 24h out from race start and a reasonable amount of carbs all day, basically).

I've never tried it, but have heard positive things about that particular carb load method. I believe it entails a period of depletion, is that correct? Although nowadays, it is widely held that the depletion phase is not needed.

Anyway, carb loading while fun takes some work!

LRB

I'll run back home from work at 4.

It's 10 miles for me, just about 2 to 3 miles outside of practicality. Otherwise, I'd be all about it.

LRB

Hello, peoples!  Wife wanted to get her workout in early this morning, so I also rolled out of bed and went to the pool.  2000 yards done.  The pool was oddly quiet this morning.  It's usually packed, but I was the only one there for 10 minutes, then only three other people came in during the hour.  Usually every lane is taken and people are doubled up.  Weird.  Anyway, I've got a 4 mile run to do after work too.

I'm feeling pretty good four days past (bq) marathon.  After the IM, for a good week I felt like I was hit by not one truck, but multiple trucks.  And a bus.

Are you doing another triathlon event this year? Have you ever done those indoor ones?

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

60 minutes of cardio and some weight stuff for later.  Yesterday I ran some miles with 10x200 and it felt good to run "fast" again.

LRB

Im happy with my first strength workout last night. I ran the hell out of my legs and am feeling it today. Hopefully I didn't push hard enough to hurt my runs later in the week.

I've found that running heals running, it's just more about the distance, for me anyway. That is why I ran 6 yesterday after 10 on them hills Sunday, rather than my normal 7. It might not seem like much but 50 minutes of running is still at the recovery level for me, whereas an hour or more gets into that this fucking sucks, I'm doing more harm than good territory.

LRB

Back in business with a brisk 4. It's been getting cooler in the mornings but I had no idea - felt like I could've used long sleeves & gloves today, then looked at my log after loading the run & saw it was 42. OK then.

It was 50 degrees for my run but it sure felt colder to my hands!

LRB

I ended up running 7.35.

Although I wasn't as sore as yesterday, I am still carrying fatigue. It was weird that after mile 2, I dropped 10 seconds each mile; 8:57, 8:47, 8:37 , 8:27. I couldn't do that again for a million dollars!

Half Crazy K 2.0

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say of things I am worried about if I do the marathon, carbo loading is not one of them. Saturday after Thanksgiving, gives me the ok to eat all the carbs.

Zelanie

I've found that running heals running, it's just more about the distance, for me anyway. That is why I ran 6 yesterday after 10 on them hills Sunday, rather than my normal 7. It might not seem like much but 50 minutes of running is still at the recovery level for me, whereas an hour or more gets into that this fucking sucks, I'm doing more harm than good territory.

I agree and feel like streaking really has helped me feel like I can recover better from hard days.

This week is one where reality is getting in the way of what perfect training would be. I know I don't have the mental energy for a long or hard run on Thursday, and I won't have much time to run on Saturday. So that probably leaves me with 8 to run tonight, although that's not ideal in the perfect world. But hopefully I'm getting to the point in my plan where 8 easy is just that, even though that will be well over an hour for me. But well over an hour where I can relax and not have to worry about getting other shit done.

DavePNW

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say of things I am worried about if I do the marathon, carbo loading is not one of them. 

Yes. When people crash & burn on their first marathon, it's seldom due to insufficient carbs.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Rest day, along with reading RR's apparently.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

From the Internet.

I've never tried it, but have heard positive things about that particular carb load method. I believe it entails a period of depletion, is that correct? Although nowadays, it is widely held that the depletion phase is not needed.

It's condensed all into one day, which makes it much more pleasant! The depletion happens with the high-intensity session, and then you just eat a bunch of carbs for the rest of the day. You eat normally all week, go into the Saturday session rested and run hard for a few minutes (the original protocol says runners did 2.5 minutes at mile pace followed by a 30 second sprint, another Internet acquaintance says he warms up 20 minutes, runs a mile at 5K pace followed by a couple 30-60 second sprints), and supposedly that triggers your body to store a lot of glycogen. Can't hurt to try. I didn't want to do a traditional carb load and my stomach can be questionable with gels so I want to see if I can minimize what I have to take during the race (I'll carry 3 gels and some Tailwind but hopefully won't need all of the gels).

LRB

It's condensed all into one day, which makes it much more pleasant! The depletion happens with the high-intensity session, and then you just eat a bunch of carbs for the rest of the day. You eat normally all week, go into the Saturday session rested and run hard for a few minutes (the original protocol says runners did 2.5 minutes at mile pace followed by a 30 second sprint, another Internet acquaintance says he warms up 20 minutes, runs a mile at 5K pace followed by a couple 30-60 second sprints), and supposedly that triggers your body to store a lot of glycogen. Can't hurt to try. I didn't want to do a traditional carb load and my stomach can be questionable with gels so I want to see if I can minimize what I have to take during the race (I'll carry 3 gels and some Tailwind but hopefully won't need all of the gels).

I am not exactly sure, but what I believe is that the traditional carb load was found to be as effective as the depletion/load. But I was always hesitant to run anything but easy the day before the race.

As far as the traditional deal goes, for me, it is much more than eating a plateful of pasta the night before the race. Spreading them out over the course of a 14 hour day so you don't feel like a pig takes a bit of planning and foresight. But I've gotten to a point where I can pretty much do it without checking the numbers.

I once targeted 570 grams of carbs the day before a marathon (2012 & 2014). Now, if I get over 450 or so, I am good.