Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's FriDAILY...Cheers !!! (Read 18 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

LR this morning.

Happy International Beer Day.  Wait, I celebrate that every day.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  I have Pilates tonight, that is it.  Good, because I can barely breathe today.

Damaris

PADRunner

Morning, 5 done this morning.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Jerry, enjoy the beer. 

Damaris, hope your breathing improves.

Nice 5, PAD.

Thanks for the well wishes for my pooch yesterday.  The vet started him on a couple of meds that should help with his breathing.  Fingers crossed...

I'm headed out for another 8, maybe 9 this morning.  I have a HM coming up, so I'm going to try to include 4-5 at HMP.  Ha ha.  I'm not sure my HMP is what I think it is.  We shall see.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Stupid Accuweather...they are NOT so accurate!  I checked their site for local weather and it said current temp was 97, feels like 100...not too bad; so I went for a run/walk.   It was flippin' hot, to say the least, felt to me like it was warmer than 97 degrees.  Oh well, I was out there not, get it done.  Luckily, i had my route picked out, stayed in shade just about the whole way, and had water fountains access as I did trails in a nearby local park.  I had started from TriPoint YMCA and was so happy to get back there and sit inside in the A/C for a while - and found out from the local news channel that was on at the Y that the local temp was actually 101, with a heat index of 105.. WTH!!!!  Stupid Accuweather!  Oh well, probably a good thing I didn't know, lol, "mental" is half the battle for running, and me thinking it was only 97 probably had me in a better mind-frame, lol.  Ended up with 3.1 VERY slow n' easy miles in 35: 28.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Yesterday's 6 didn't happen.  My left ankle (the one I sprained last year) has been a little pissy/swollen.  I made myself do a loop of the local park and then determined enough was enough and at least I got out there.  Today I'll do my cross training and get a massage if I have time.  I have mandarin class tonight and then we are dog sitting all weekend for a friend's dog.  It is a dog just like Allison's and is buddies with my dog so she should have a fun weekend.

Jerry - I hope your LR went well

DR - have fun at pilates :-)

PAD - good job getting it done early

Allison - when is your HM?

scotty - that made me laugh... 97 feels like 100 is not too bad?  are you crazy? =P

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

sapf - I'm sorry your ankle is giving you grief.  I have on that was damaged years ago and every once in a while it will still cause pain.  Any time I twist my foot, it's always that right ankle.  I hope you get a massage today.  Maybe ice it too?  Enjoy the dog sitting.

Scotty - but it's a dry heat, right?  Good job getting it done.  I wouldn't have been out there in those temps.

Jerry - I wish today was a LR day for me.  It's nice and cool.  Have fun.

DR - sorry about the lungs.  Still part of the cold hanging on, or allergies?

PAD - good job on the early five.

Brilliant - have fun with your HMP run.  I'm glad they can do something for your pup.

Rest day here.  We're heading to MD to enjoy lunch with DH's son and DIL.  I'm thinking about doing a 5miler tomorrow.  I haven't raced in ages though, and don't know if I can run fast any more.  It's been a long time.OTOH, my only 5M race was on a very hilly course, so this would probably be a PR regardless.

hog4life

14 mile LR done. Everything went well up until about 8.5 or 9, then I got extremely fatigued and weak. I walked a little and made it to a little convenience store and bought some junk food. After eating, and drinking a Gatorade I started feeling better and was able to finish my run.

Zelanie

Hey guys.  Working this morning, then hitting the blood drive for an iron check donation.  The plan is to run 4 very easy paced miles afterwards.  I've done a pretty strenuous hike after a donation, but haven't run before, so we will see how that goes.  If it's not happening, I will absolutely pack it in.

Jerry- Enjoy the LR!  All the more reason to crack open a cold one, right?

D- Hope your breathing improves.

PAD- Good work. Smile

Brilliant- Good luck with HMP, and hope the meds do their thing!

Scotty- Glad you got through that safely!

Ginny- Cool!  Good luck tomorrow!

Mitch- Scary stuff, glad you found a store out there.

Brilliant

Well, my run didn't go as planned because my car wouldn't start.  You'd think that wouldn't affect a run, right?   But I live on a big hill, and always drive down to a trail for tempo runs and intervals.  Most days I could've borrowed another car from our fleet, but today hubby had his truck at the gym, son needed his car to go to work, and daughter is housesitting!  Anyway...I ran 7.1 miles including some hills and including a total of about 3 miles at HMP, split into two intervals...so I don't know what to call that run.  A tempo/hill/interval run. Smile

Scotty - weather sounds awful!

Ginny, have a fun rest day.  Your rainy run yesterday sounded nice.

Mitch, I'm glad nutrition and hydration helped you out!

Zel, stay safe.  Drink OJ before you go.

Jill - sorry about your ankle; hope it is all better after rest/massage.  How fun that you get to dog sit. Smile  My daughter is housesitting for a family with a dog, cat, and chickens!  You probably don't find that in NYC much. Smile  Have a fun weekend!

About my HM.  Well I'm actually registered for Santa Rosa on Aug 23.  But sadly, I'll probably DNS that one.  Up next is Ventura on Sept 13.  I should be ready by then!

From the Internet.

Hi pens!

65 minutes in the pool for me. Mentally checked out because it's Friday and I have a bunch of errands to run - might attempt to sneak out early to start getting them done before I have to pick up the kid.

Zelanie

Hemoglobin was 13.5, woot!

I forgot about the whole "no lifting" thing and have a trunk full of boxes I was supposed to drop off at my school. Guess I will hold on to those until Monday.

PADRunner

Hemoglobin was 13.5, woot!

I forgot about the whole "no lifting" thing and have a trunk full of boxes I was supposed to drop off at my school. Guess I will hold on to those until Monday.

Zelanie

PAD, is that your hemoglobin?