Beginners and Beyond

SaturDailies, the day the polar vortex beat El Nino (Read 38 times)

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I ran 8.5 in the suck.  16F with 4F windchill.  FTS.  At least it wasn't a 20 miler day.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Runner with a riding problem.

Cyberic

16.78 miles done. No quality miles. Just being out there was enough.

LRB

I am thankful to have a treadmill in my basement. Which I plan to use tonight.

Actually I do as well, but it's so old it looks like something NASA used for the first lunar mission! I've never run on it but out of necessity, I did today. Running 6 powered in part by Rihanna's Hard, ironic because I wasn't hard enough to run outside.

Cyberic

It was not snowing, just -11F, -24F windchill

MTA: I was wearing:

Head:

- A buff wrapped around my head

- A polar lined Head band on top of that for the ears

- A runner's beanie hat on top

Neck:

- An extra long buff

Torso:

- A Saucony tech base layer

- A light mid layer

- A Salomon cross-country skiing jacket (my winter running jacket - very comfortable)

Gloves:

- Polar liner gloves

- Cross-country skiing windstopper gloves

Butt - legs:

- Normal underwear

- Short tights for added man protection

- Tech material sweat pants from Asics

- Thin windstopping pants on top

Socks:

- Smartwool outdoor Merino wool socks

Shoes:

- Mizuno Ascend 8 trail shoes with a couple of screws underneath

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

It was not snowing, just -11F, -24F windchill

I'm not sure I'd get out and run with it that cold.  You are pretty tough, and absolutely insane.

Runner with a riding problem.

LRB

I'm not sure I'd get out and run with it that cold.  You are pretty tough, and absolutely insane.

I don't recall the exact numbers, but I've run in extremes similar to that before. It's why I ran on that antique today, rather than going outside for 6 measly miles. lol

DavePNW

something NASA used for the first lunar mission

No, that's what Cyberic was wearing.

I've run in subzero windchills but never subzero actual temps. Can't imagine running in that severe cold, or with that much gear. You would absolutely need to be wearing that much early on, but it seems you'd get so overheated later, especially with that many miles.

Dave

Cyberic

No, that's what Cyberic was wearing.

I've run in subzero windchills but never subzero actual temps. Can't imagine running in that severe cold, or with that much gear. You would absolutely need to be wearing that much early on, but it seems you'd get so overheated later, especially with that many miles.

I did not overheat. I barely worked up a sweat. That is why I did not increase the tempo at all. Just ran easy all along. I was wearing just enough. At first my face was free, but when I hit a half a mile stretch with a full headwind, I decided to cover my mouth and cheeks. Then it was still cold heading straight in the wind, but bearable.

A note about my Garmin FR610. I was wearing it on top of my jacket, fully exposed, and the battery was still 55% full when I came back. It usually is around 65-68% full after a similar run in milder temps. Pretty cool. My Timex would have shut itself off before the end of my run, for sure.

Ric-G

12 miles this morning in nice weather (sorry)...but it will be too hot later and tomorrow for people running the LAM

eric - wow, that looks crazy cold. i was wondering if you see anyone else out running in those conditions - or are you a lone wolf?

drinking coffee now - made it from a stove top percolator i just picked up. it's a good weekend treat. it takes a while but man it stays hot.

marathon pr - 3:16

LRB

12 miles this morning in nice weather (sorry)...

It's cool, most of us have seasons, and take the good with the bad. In fact, I'm remembering when you were dealing with record heat and drought conditions not long ago!

Cyberic

12 miles this morning in nice weather (sorry)...but it will be too hot later and tomorrow for people running the LAM

eric - wow, that looks crazy cold. i was wondering if you see anyone else out running in those conditions - or are you a lone wolf?

drinking coffee now - made it from a stove top percolator i just picked up. it's a good weekend treat. it takes a while but man it stays hot.

No need to be sorry. We get cold winters, but our summers aren't too bad. Summer is payback time Smile

I was on a usually runner friendly loop and I only saw 4 other runners in my 2:20 run.  It was pretty early, there will probably be more this afternoon, but still not as many runners as usual. Many will simply hit the gyms today.

Ric-G

I was on a usually runner friendly loop and I only saw 4 other runners in my 2:20 run.  It was pretty early, there will probably be more this afternoon, but still not as many runners as usual. Many will simply hit the gyms today.

ok. i figured there had to be at least someone else. still, that is impressive to go that distance in a freezer :-)

lrb - yes, that summer and 100 degree temps in late October sucked.

marathon pr - 3:16

DavePNW

12 7 miles this morning in nice weather (sorry not sorry)...

I've paid my dues.

Dave

LRB

I've paid my dues.

lol - I know that's right!

LRB

Marathon trials on the TV this afternoon!  Need to get my chores done by 1:00.....

They just took off on NBC ya!