Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #6 (Read 34 times)

bluerun

Super B****

It's $200 and supposedly goes over everything you need to know, have to know or should know I guess. Getting certified during an open water dive is an additional $170 with this particular instructor, but can be done anywhere in the world with any certified instructor (all of this you already know, I'm just including it for context). So for me, it's a chance to learn some stuff and get an idea of what in the hell is going on with the stupid thing. I don't really have an issue with it not being required. If I come out of the class and feel I don't need the open water cert, great. Most likely I will though because I'm getting hot with anxiety right now just thinking about it!

Wait, so your “check it off” is to LEARN about it, not to actually DO it??

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Half Crazy K 2.0

Ok, so you do get "free" basic care, like here?

Hahahaha.....no. Only "free" with insurance you pay lots for.  And then all sorts of caveats, like certain free screenings wind up costing thousands because there was an issue (like a polyp is removed during a colonoscopy).

RunningOnSand

Yeah our healthcare could use a reform. Ugh. We are private pay and it sucks. Soooooo $$$$$.

I completed my 35 min strength training sesh with my pal, then after the kids went to school I went to the local run club, and did a run/walk with a newbie runner! And then ran a bit on my own afterwards. Totaling over 5 for the day, and I can tell I'm going to be hungry AF today. Time to drink a shitton of water, as this weight isn't going to lose itself. 

Cyberic

Hahahaha.....no. Only "free" with insurance you pay lots for.  And then all sorts of caveats, like certain free screenings wind up costing thousands because there was an issue (like a polyp is removed during a colonoscopy).

Yeah, I can see how that can be a problem.

But what about free clinics? Or ERs? How do those work? If they're truly free, they must be jam packed with people, right?

RunningOnSand

I think the backpack has to be VERY comfortable on you. It will have weight in it, and with the constant pounding...

I don't know where you live and if you have access to a fairly big LRS near you, but I would recommand to go try many of them on your back. And I also suggest you bring some clothes and a bottle of water to the store to try the packs with weight in them. Weight with similar volume that you'll be wearing. I mean maybe a bottle of water weighs the same as your clothes, but clothes and a bottle of water don't sit the same in a backpack. I did not do that (bring stuff to try the packs) but will do so next time I need one.

So I can not say if the Nike pack you posted is good or not for you.

There's several LRS nearby...they're all just out of the way. Still, maybe it's worth it to try some out. Maybe they'll have the Maya 16 in stock! And good call about brining a bottle of water and some clothes to try it out in.

Cyberic

There's several LRS nearby...they're all just out of the way. Still, maybe it's worth it to try some out. Maybe they'll have the Maya 16 in stock! And good call about brining a bottle of water and some clothes to try it out in.

Yeah, bring the kind of stuff you'll be carrying IRL.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ok, so you do get "free" basic care, like here? What not everyone has access to is very expensive stuff?

No, there is no free care period. You can go to the ER or maybe a "free" clinic (charity based) if you are lucky. The ER is paid by all of us in the end. Most people just go to the ER and then file bankruptcy to discharge the $300K in bills from the visit.

And yes, they are jam packed with people, but it is still not free.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

For example, my visit to the ER was $9K just to check my leg for a possible clot. With my insurance, it was only $175 but most people won't be covered as much as my insurance covers.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

Yeah, I can see how that can be a problem.

But what about free clinics? Or ERs? How do those work? If they're truly free, they must be jam packed with people, right?

Planned Parenthood is on a sliding scale. You can get free dental care at the dental school if you are willing to wait and have it take lots of time because the student has to be supervised.

You can sometimes get free or low cost therapies from colleges, same as the dental school, you are seen by someone in training and their work is supervised.

Cyberic

No, there is no free care period. You can go to the ER or maybe a "free" clinic (charity based) if you are lucky. The ER is paid by all of us in the end. Most people just go to the ER and then file bankruptcy to discharge the $300K in bills from the visit.

And yes, they are jam packed with people, but it is still not free.

Our health care is not free either if you put it that way. We all pay a huge percentage of our income for it. Imagine. We collectively pay for everything for everyone. Cancer, brain surgery, all the bone fractures, people who just find it abnormal to cough 3 days in a row. It is inceredibly expensive, but it is available to all.

Is it better than your situation? Maybe. Is it perfect? If it were, everyone would be doing it. I imagine the reason why you don't want it (as a country) is because it is so damn expensive for the few who actually contribute to pay for the care of everyone.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

But we already pay for those that have no insurance way more than what our taxes would be (like in your situation). Especially because the people that end up going to the last resort care (ER, etc.) have serious illnesses and the ER is 3-4 times more expensive than a doctor. So, I doubt you pay the same amount as society here pays for the greedy insurance companies to run the show.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

In your system, no one is denied care if they need it. In here, it is done all the time, even if you have insurance.

Damaris

sdWhiskers

It’ll happen right after we switch over to the metric system.

Its funny...when I'm at work, I think in 100% metric because science. Then I leave work and poof! back to weirdo American.

Baboon

delicate flower

14.24 miles done, and included one ass-over-tea kettle.

<3

sdWhiskers

In your system, no one is denied care if they need it. In here, it is done all the time, even if you have insurance.

And then there's damn Big Pharma.

Just kidding. Can we please not go there, as that's what I have to constantly deal with IRL.