Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES (Read 30 times)

LRB

Hi.

I dragged my butt to yoga last night in search of a miracle and I'll be damned, my hoof actually feels better this morning. It's too bad I have to work today because by 5 o'clock it'll be sore all over again...or maybe not. Smile

'Sup?

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

LRB- may the hoof behave all day.

I ran 3.6 miles.  So far, so good.

Have a great day folks!

Runner with a riding problem.

Cyberic

I have some more shopping to do for the woman today. Actually, she has to go to one store, and the item is reserved to her name already, so it's not really shopping but a car ride to pick something up.

Since I'm on vacation for two weeks, it's ok to break my routine, I guess.

Hi.

I dragged my butt to yoga last night in search of a miracle and I'll be damned, my hoof actually feels better this morning. 

I think it was this past Sunday's run that I realized that I *might* have found a remedy for my stupid foot. Not running much is helping, but not a solution if I want to start training more seriously again. It occured to me that during Boston training, with all the running I was doing, I stopped stretching altogether. I was never a big stretcher, but I sometimes did a 3-5 minutes routine of quads, calves and "touch the toes". I stopped completely sometime during Boston training. My right foot has been a problem since Boston. So I started again with my very quick stretching routine hoping it will pay dividends in the mid and long term.

Cyberic

That's nice, P_R. Missing the elliptical, yet?

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

That's nice, P_R. Missing the elliptical, yet?

I covered it with a tarp, just so I don't have to look at it.

Runner with a riding problem.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I only had time for 5 miles last night and good because my body was super achy.  Woke up still congested but for not achy anymore.  Good because I have 13 miles to run today.  Gah.

Damaris

Cyberic

I covered it with a tarp, just so I don't have to look at it.

Attaboy!

delicate flower

Hello, all you fine gentlemen and Damarises!  Up early again for a masters swim.  I know I am getting stronger with my swimming because last night's hard run didn't seem to have any impact on my swim.  I used to struggle with those swims.  I've got a hard bike trainer session on tap after work.

I really need to lose the 10 pounds I've been carrying around since my post-Ironman IDGAF.  I don't think that weight is helping with my run paces.  Once the holiday food is out of the house, I'll get on that.

<3

on my way to badass

I killed the pace bunny!

In other news, good morning peeps! Too many exclamation points

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I killed the pace bunny!

I've thought about doing that but for other reasons.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

onemile

Here's an interesting article on faster vs slower easy paced runs

I tend to run mine on the slow side

Fast Trainers v Slow Trainers

LRB

Here's an interesting article on faster vs slower easy paced runs

I tend to run mine on the slow side

Fast Trainers v Slow Trainers

"There is no right or wrong with either approach, but there is a right or wrong for each runner. If you are a faster trainer and forcefully try to slow down on all your easy runs, it’s likely you’ll feel sluggish in upcoming workouts and races. Likewise, if you are a slower trainer and you try to speed up on all your easy runs, you’ll experience growing fatigue which will most certainly affect performance."

This is pretty much the doctrine I've followed when running easy since my second year of running (the first year I "raced" every run! ). That is, I run whatever feels easy. These days, that is much slower than it was in previous years, but I believe that is a result of my fitness, not necessarily because I ran faster then, or am running slower now.

Of course I could be dead wrong....

onemile

"There is no right or wrong with either approach, but there is a right or wrong for each runner. If you are a faster trainer and forcefully try to slow down on all your easy runs, it’s likely you’ll feel sluggish in upcoming workouts and races. Likewise, if you are a slower trainer and you try to speed up on all your easy runs, you’ll experience growing fatigue which will most certainly affect performance."

This is pretty much the doctrine I've followed when running easy since my second year of running (the first year I "raced" every run! ). That is, I run whatever feels easy. These days, that is much slower than it was in previous years, but I believe that is a result of my fitness, not necessarily because I ran faster then, or am running slower now.

Of course I could be dead wrong....

I judge my fitness on my workouts, not my easy runs. The easy runs are just fillers. I do get annoyed when they are super slow though. Like 9:15-9:30.

LRB

I think it was this past Sunday's run that I realized that I *might* have found a remedy for my stupid foot. Not running much is helping, but not a solution if I want to start training more seriously again. It occured to me that during Boston training, with all the running I was doing, I stopped stretching altogether. I was never a big stretcher, but I sometimes did a 3-5 minutes routine of quads, calves and "touch the toes". I stopped completely sometime during Boston training. My right foot has been a problem since Boston. So I started again with my very quick stretching routine hoping it will pay dividends in the mid and long term.

It is good that you figured this out though before things got completely out of hand. I've experimented with pre and post-run stretching over the years with various degrees of success, and failures. The thing about yoga and all of those stupid poses (which really are not stupid) is it took the guesswork out of things but more importantly, doing it on its own day during its own session removed the burdened of finding the time to stretch during a period of the day when I was already pressed for time. In effect, it became a lifestyle, not just something I was doing. Not unlike dieting (something we do) versus eating healthy all the time (a lifestyle).

I am not suggesting it for you, just saying that for me, it was the missing link. This after I resisted it for so long!

No more marathons

It is good that you figured this out though before things got completely out of hand. I've experimented with pre and post-run stretching over the years with various degrees of success, and failures. The thing about yoga and all of those stupid poses (which really are not stupid) is it took the guesswork out of things but more importantly, doing it on its own day during its own session removed the burdened of finding the time to stretch during a period of the day when I was already pressed for time. In effect, it became a lifestyle, not just something I was doing. Not unlike dieting (something we do) versus eating healthy all the time (a lifestyle).

I am not suggesting it for you, just saying that for me, it was the missing link. This after I resisted it for so long!

deep

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!