Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES (Read 30 times)

LRB

I judge my fitness on my workouts, not my easy runs. 

Me too. There are days when I run easy up to 2 minutes off my easy pace, I laugh out loud. lol

delicate flower

Here's an interesting article on faster vs slower easy paced runs

I tend to run mine on the slow side

Fast Trainers v Slow Trainers

Cool, now people can stop giving me crap for running my easy runs too fast.

<3

onemile

Cool, now people can stop giving me crap for running my easy runs too fast.

As long as they feel easy. Do they?

LRB

As long as they feel easy. Do they?

I did it in 2014, it was a ton of fun!

GinnyinPA

I get told that I run my easy runs too fast as well. Largely that's because Daniels and McMillan have different paces for the easy and long runs. A lot of people follow Daniels' recommendations. I generally follow McMillan's paces, which give a very wide range at my speed. (Easy is 9:30-10:30, LRs are 9:30-11:00.)  It has worked for me. Most days I'm at the fast end, some days at the slow end, but I'm almost always within the range.

From the Internet.

Ran 14, rushed off to a meeting with my coach, and now I am sitting in a cafe enjoying my iced coffee while I make a grocery list. Next on the agenda: making wildly delicious caramel brownies for a party tomorrow night and a nap. Shoot, and a shower!

From the Internet.

I run my easy and recovery runs slow and my long runs probably too fast. I think they're actually within JD/McMillan long run parameters and it's been like a year since I started picking up the pace a little on longer runs, so whatever.

I judge my fitness on my workouts, not my easy runs. The easy runs are just fillers. I do get annoyed when they are super slow though. Like 9:15-9:30.

Yeah. I generally don't care about my easy pace, except when I do.

I remember reading about one of the elite marathoners who actually does some easy runs at ~8:30 pace, which I thought was very surprising.

Dave

Cool, now people can stop giving me crap 

No.

Dave

LRB

Ran 14, rushed off to a meeting with my coach, and now I am sitting in a cafe enjoying my iced coffee while I make a grocery list. Next on the agenda: making wildly delicious caramel brownies for a party tomorrow night and a nap. Shoot, and a shower!

Yeah, let's not forget that. lol

And pics or those brownies didn't happen! 

I think it was this past Sunday's run that I realized that I *might* have found a remedy for my stupid foot. Not running much is helping, but not a solution if I want to start training more seriously again. It occured to me that during Boston training, with all the running I was doing, I stopped stretching altogether. I was never a big stretcher, but I sometimes did a 3-5 minutes routine of quads, calves and "touch the toes". I stopped completely sometime during Boston training. My right foot has been a problem since Boston. So I started again with my very quick stretching routine hoping it will pay dividends in the mid and long term.

I have stretched religiously for a couple years, since one of my knee injuries. When I started I would run ~1.5 miles, stop & stretch, then do the rest of the run. That became a PITA, so I just moved to post-run stretching. I do calves, achilles, quads, hammies, takes about 10-15 min. I do it  100% of the time. No idea whether it makes a difference.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't stretch pre or post run.  That's what Pilates is for...

Ran 13 with 5 X 1 @ 10K pace and although my chest is congested, I felt good.  Now to see if I get an asthma bout.  Hoping not.  More miles with hubby tonight after Pilates.

Even when I ran my PR, I could hardly get to the McMillan paces for my easy runs, so I stopped trying.  Whatever feels easy and lets me do 50+ miles a week is what I do.  Some days that is 11:36mm and some days it's 10:30mm.

Damaris

onemile

I only stretch when I'm having issues and worried about an injury

onemile

Cyberic, maybe slowing down your easy runs would help your foot 

Cyberic, maybe slowing down your easy runs would help your foot 

Oh, SNAP! (Do people still say that?)

Dave