Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES (Read 30 times)

Cyberic

Cyberic, maybe slowing down your easy runs would help your foot 

I doubt it. I actually feel the foot more after a longish slow run. Problem is I don't have the fitness to always run at a 6:30 pace 

onemile

I doubt it. I actually feel the foot more after a longish slow run. Problem is I don't have the fitness to always run at a 6:30 pace 

If you reduce your mpw enough you can run all your runs at that pace 

Cyberic

Ran 9ish in the (some would say magical, enchanting, but I say goddamn) snow.

Cyberic

If you reduce your mpw enough you can run all your runs at that pace 

10 mpw, always fast. Heaven! Not.

I know I'm running my easy runs too fast when I either struggle on my workout days or I get too tired from training. But both these conditions are also related to MRT, so I guess I'm clueless after all.

No more marathons

McMillan gives such a wide range that it covers just about any pace.

Mine is 8:09 to 9:10 for "Easy" runs.

You can fit just about anything in there.

What a difference a day makes.  Yesterday's 5 miles felt like shite, today's 10 miles felt great - twice the distance and 27 seconds per mile faster. Last mile in 7:47 which isn't bad for a PhatOldMan.

Today was a scheduled rest day, and the 10 miler was scheduled for Saturday.  But our local FB running club has an annual new year's day 1 mile track race and I didn't want completely dead legs for that.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

onemile

McMillan gives such a wide range that it covers just about any pace.

Mine is 8:09 to 9:10 for "Easy" runs.

You can fit just about anything in there.

McMillan gives me 7:30-8:29 for easy runs.  I tend to run them closer to 8:45-9:00. Which is 'Recovery pace' (8:34-915). But then, Addie puts all my easy runs down as recovery runs anyway.  I can't imagine doing an easy run at 7:30 pace (and it actually feeling easy).

Cyberic

It is good that you figured this out though before things got completely out of hand. I've experimented with pre and post-run stretching over the years with various degrees of success, and failures. The thing about yoga and all of those stupid poses (which really are not stupid) is it took the guesswork out of things but more importantly, doing it on its own day during its own session removed the burdened of finding the time to stretch during a period of the day when I was already pressed for time. In effect, it became a lifestyle, not just something I was doing. Not unlike dieting (something we do) versus eating healthy all the time (a lifestyle).

I am not suggesting it for you, just saying that for me, it was the missing link. This after I resisted it for so long!

Nothing conclusive, yet. I've just started and I can't say I've really noticed any improvement as of now, but it's only been a couple of days.

MTA: I've thought about yoga, as there are many other sports/activities I'd like to try, but I just don't. Part laziness, part not really convinced.

Cyberic

McMillan gives me 7:30-8:29 for easy runs.  I tend to run them closer to 8:45-9:00. Which is 'Recovery pace' (8:34-915). But then, Addie puts all my easy runs down as recovery runs anyway.  I can't imagine doing an easy run at 7:30 pace (and it actually feeling easy).

To me, easy sometimes means to just give it a little tiny bit of kick, to keep things interesting. Like the pace I use on Hansons long runs, and Dave said Pfitz has those too. I'm not always in the mood for 8:30 mpm running, and I don't like running 80% of my miles at that pace. Boring, for one.

A pace I like, that is not slow, but still is easy enough is 7:45-7:50. Yesterday I ran 9 at 7:35 average and although it was not "relaxing" easy, it was still easy enough to be called easy. Today's 8:25 in the snow was tougher.

LRB

Nothing conclusive, yet. I've just started and I can't say I've really noticed any improvement as of now, but it's only been a couple of days.

There is no way to quantify stretching which is why it's thankless. As DavePBendy said, he does it but doesn't know if it helps, he just does it. But the fact that he runs as much as he does without the issues that typically come with a stiff ass such as me, suggests that at a minimum, it doesn't hurt.

LRB

I get told that I run my easy runs too fast as well. Largely that's because Daniels and McMillan have different paces for the easy and long runs. A lot of people follow Daniels' recommendations. I generally follow McMillan's paces, which give a very wide range at my speed. (Easy is 9:30-10:30, LRs are 9:30-11:00.)  It has worked for me. Most days I'm at the fast end, some days at the slow end, but I'm almost always within the range.

I got to the point where I stopped looking at the charts altogether. When I'm running too slow, I can usually tell. When I'm running too fast however, I don't always know it. But in either case, I don't think it's detrimental.

Cyberic

There is no way to quantify stretching which is why it's thankless. As DavePBendy said, he does it but doesn't know if it helps, he just does it. But the fact that he runs as much as he does without the issues that typically come with a stiff ass such as me, suggests that at a minimum, it doesn't hurt.

I used to stretch a bit, and since I was never really injured, I figured it was useless, so I stopped and increased the mileage (for Boston) 

LRB

lol

No more marathons

Yeah, same for me at the faster end of my McMillan "easy".  Not sure that 8:05, which is my HM pace, would be easy for very long.  On the other hand, anything over 9 mm pace signals that I must be really not ready to run.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Cyberic

I got to the point where I stopped looking at the charts altogether. When I'm running too slow, I can usually tell. When I'm running too fast however, I don't always know it. But in either case, I don't think it's detrimental.

I believe it is imperative everyone runs their easy pace the way I say. 

Zelanie

According to the Daniels calculator, the paces that feel about right for me are for a 4:30 marathon, which right now feel about right every day except marathon day.  According to Garmin, I'm overtraining constantly if you look at HR.  Last night's run is a good example.  It was an easy, flat run with a friend on something between a track and a path.  We were faster than I usually run, and I felt it a bit, but honestly we were mostly chatting about kids and holidays and etc.  Now, Garmin says that it was a training level 4.7 run, damn near overtraining level.  I supposedly ran for 32 minutes with my HR in "zone 5", and 36 minutes in "zone 4".  I think I'd be dying if I had actually done that.

Clearly, I need to race a 5K to get a more accurate max HR, but that sounds unpleasant.  I'm much more tempted these days to just show up and run what I run.