Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES (Read 30 times)

onemile

I'm just lazy and like to take it easy.

Actually I would run faster just to get it over with if my legs didn't feel like shit all the time

Cyberic

According to the Daniels calculator, the paces that feel about right for me are for a 4:30 marathon, which right now feel about right every day except marathon day.  According to Garmin, I'm overtraining constantly if you look at HR.  Last night's run is a good example.  It was an easy, flat run with a friend on something between a track and a path.  We were faster than I usually run, and I felt it a bit, but honestly we were mostly chatting about kids and holidays and etc.  Now, Garmin says that it was a training level 4.7 run, damn near overtraining level.  I supposedly ran for 32 minutes with my HR in "zone 5", and 36 minutes in "zone 4".  I think I'd be dying if I had actually done that.

Clearly, I need to race a 5K to get a more accurate max HR, but that sounds unpleasant.  I'm much more tempted these days to just show up and run what I run.

If you're going to pay any attention to these figures (HR zones, training effect, ...) you need to configure them correctly. I used the heart rate reserve algorithm instead of just max HR. But for that you need resting HR as well as max HR.

Zelanie

If you're going to pay any attention to these figures (HR zones, training effect, ...) you need to configure them correctly. I used the heart rate reserve algorithm instead of just max HR. But for that you need resting HR as well as max HR.

I've got resting HR.  I am just too lazy to find my max HR. 

8 miles, making it 2803 for the year. And with a couple days to spare. 

Dave

Cyberic

I've got resting HR.  I am just too lazy to find my max HR. 

I just checked and my max HR is about 9.2% above the max HR I'd reach in my harder Hansons Strength days. I tend to run them a bit hard, so I guess about 10% over how they should be run. I don't know if you can extrapolate your max HR from that, or maybe it doesn't make any sense for someone else.

No more marathons

According to the Daniels calculator, the paces that feel about right for me are for a 4:30 marathon, which right now feel about right every day except marathon day.  According to Garmin, I'm overtraining constantly if you look at HR.  Last night's run is a good example.  It was an easy, flat run with a friend on something between a track and a path.  We were faster than I usually run, and I felt it a bit, but honestly we were mostly chatting about kids and holidays and etc.  Now, Garmin says that it was a training level 4.7 run, damn near overtraining level.  I supposedly ran for 32 minutes with my HR in "zone 5", and 36 minutes in "zone 4".  I think I'd be dying if I had actually done that.

Clearly, I need to race a 5K to get a more accurate max HR, but that sounds unpleasant.  I'm much more tempted these days to just show up and run what I run.

I guess that depends on how your HR info is determined by you and/or your garmin.

My guess is that garmin thinks your max HR is much lower than what it actually is.

And there are other ways to get a good estimate of your max other than running a 5K all out.  They aren't really any less painful.  

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Cyberic

You're kicking my ass.

My McMillan easy pace range (based on marathon time) is 7:59-9:00. My actual easy range is more like 8:45-9:15. Seems strange that the bottom limit of easy is exactly MP. Which doesn't seem right.

They put recovery pace at 9:06-9:46; I never designate anything specifically as a recovery run, but I guess that's what my slower easy runs actually are.

Easy pace based on my 5k PR = 7:33-8:33. lolz.

Dave

No more marathons

You're kicking my ass.

He's number 6 on the B&B chart.

You and onemile are just behind in 8 and 9.

Now for a real ass kicking - let's look at me back in 62nd.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I would say go by the HR indications, but they are useless unless you added your max and your zones yourself instead of what Garmin tells you.  If you go by what they calculated for you, they might be all off.

Damaris

Zelanie

At least I'm ahead of Baboon this year, if you only count running, and running is all that really counts, right?

I just went in and changed my max HR to 190, which seems to be a reasonable non-spikey measurement at the end of a 5 x 1000 workout.  We'll see if that affects the zones or not.  It could just be that I'm always running too hard, no matter what the pace is.

Cyberic

At least I'm ahead of Baboon this year, if you only count running, and running is all that really counts, right?

I just went in and changed my max HR to 190, which seems to be a reasonable non-spikey measurement at the end of a 5 x 1000 workout.  We'll see if that affects the zones or not.  It could just be that I'm always running too hard, no matter what the pace is.

Did you have Garmin connect or express or whatever recalculate your zones?  I don't think it does it by itself just by changing the max HR, or does it?

I don't think your last sentence is possible the way it is written. But I think I understand what you mean.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Nice year.  I'm not at all jealous and I don't hate you.  Much.

Runner with a riding problem.

Nice year.  I'm not at all jealous and I don't hate you.  Much.

Well, you still have me beat on total time run.

Dave

Zelanie

Did you have Garmin connect or express or whatever recalculate your zones?  I don't think it does it by itself just by changing the max HR, or does it?

I don't think your last sentence is possible the way it is written. But I think I understand what you mean.

What I mean is that it should not be possible to be running "too hard" when my pace is something like 10:47.  But maybe I am, sigh.

I entered 190 into Max HR for my device settings and Garmin recalculated the zones.  It didn't change them much, but we'll see what it does when I actually run.