Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Fredericksburg Turkey Trot 5K and 10K (Read 7 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO   

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below. 

Link to photos only: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2068%20Fredericksburg%20Turkey%20Trot%205K

BEFORE THE START

The Fredericksburg Turkey Trot on November 26 was my 68th race of 2016. This race supported a local swim team.  There was a 5K and a 10K.  I did the 5K.  There was also a Kids Run.  The start and finish was at a local school in Fredericksburg TX, which is about an hour and 15 minute drive for me from my house in San Antonio.  Fredericksburg is the home of the WWII Museum of the Pacific, as Admiral Nimitz was a native of this city.  I have visited that museum and it is quite interesting.  If you get a chance, go. Race start time of 8:30, so I was up early this morning to get some breakfast and get on the road for the drive time.  Arrived about 45 minutes before start time and wandered around getting some photos.

The lonely start line before the crowd gathers.   As you can see, it was quite a 'gray' day for the event.

photo 001_zpsenqr21am.jpg

I was very 'Thanksgiving Orangey" today, lol

photo 003_zpsrsj0rfku.jpg

Our timers and race results folks.

photo 002_zpsmiyygdli.jpg

Some of the volunteers, participants, family-and-friend supporters, etc.

photo 004_zpshgig6gil.jpg

photo 005_zps8ksbysic.jpg

photo 006_zpszdbiw83b.jpg

Race Director Susan, with some of her family. Super nice people.

photo 007_zpsms7kqblk.jpg

photo 008_zpsi3ogi3sl.jpg

Susan kindly let me have a photo with her.   As RD, she did a great job.  Very nice event, well organized.

photo 011_zpscic1qfdx.jpg

One of the - like me, lol - 'unofficial photographers' - with her future runner

photo 009_zpsldlfslbb.jpg

I believe this guy was the 'official" photographer; here with a friend

photo 015_zpsd0knbjqu.jpg

photo 010_zpso4nclzpv.jpg

photo 012_zpsejkndm3j.jpg

Yes, all the dogs that were there got treats from me, with the permission of their humans

photo 013_zpsnlph1wnw.jpg

Two Turkeys...

photo 017_zpsbld051mr.jpg

This guy ran the 5K wearing that hat...and quite speedy too..if i remember correctly, he told me he did 24-something.

photo 018_zpsd1hsy8fp.jpg

People ahead of me at the start line..

photo 019_zpsfzred1t2.jpg

And behind me...

photo 020_zpskdfsbfkm.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Fredericksburg, being in Texas Hill Country, is usually about 5 - 10 degrees cooler than San Antonio, so I was glad I wore a base layer under my shirt, as the weather was a bit cloudy/overcast and temp at start time was about 52 degrees - which is a bit chilly  for my cold-weather-wimp self, lol; unlike most runners, I prefer warmer temps than cooler.  There was no wind, thank goodness and as far as I could tell from all the runners around me at any given time, everyone seemed pretty comfortable.  The course was through surrounding neighborhoods - really nice areas - near the school.  The course was on wide streets with enough room for everyone to spread out/string out and do their own chosen paces without interfering with anyone else.  There wre also really good directional signs on the course - I don't wear my glasses when I run, and I am also 'directionally challenged", lol, but even I could see these signs with no problem - and that helped a lot for participants not to miss any turns. This is a really nicely thought-out course, done with the participants in mind, not only for direction, but also for safety. Kudos to whomever laid out the course.   The age groups were 10-year ones.  I ended up with a finish time of 34:04, but did not place in my 60 - 69 year old age group, as there were some 'speedy old farts" in my age group who finished well ahead of my "slow old fart" self. 

photo 021_zpsq0v3nojm.jpg

photo 022_zpslzywze4m.jpg

photo 023_zpscich12da.jpg

photo 024_zps4xxyfe8d.jpg

Passing by yet another turkey....shouldn't he have already been eaten by now? 

photo 026_zpsxxtx6w8z.jpg

photo 027_zpsraeizxpl.jpg

photo 028_zps2o7i5nir.jpg

photo 029_zpstwzlnjka.jpg

photo 030_zps4nulzdkx.jpg

photo 032_zpsnp4tfttd.jpg

photo 033_zpsmyjodmwt.jpg

photo 034_zpsgem5hkgm.jpg

After that last photo, I ran nonstop for around the last 1.2 miles to the finish.

AFTER MY FINISH

Got some water, did a bit of a cool down walk, and then off to get photos of the "Happy Finishers" - ever notice that race participants seem to smile a lot more when they are done, than before and during  - and volunteers, supporters, etc.

This young lady on the right was slightly ahead of me as we were heading to the finish.  I called out to her  "Hurry up, young lady, I'm an old man and I'm catching up to you.  I know you can beat me to the finish."  As we turned into the school driveway to go to the finish, she took off  like a turkey being chased by a guy with an axe.  She handily finished ahead of by probably well over a minute, lol.  Good for her!

photo 035_zpsyjrwo8cf.jpg

photo 036_zpsomvyolqv.jpg

photo 037_zpsu7ogjypo.jpg

photo 038_zpsui19pbxp.jpg

photo 039_zpssg207791.jpg

photo 040_zps3mfwc8da.jpg

photo 041_zpska6o21ik.jpg

photo 042_zpsirhrvzqd.jpg

photo 043_zps70bsgvkm.jpg

photo 044_zpswz07oon0.jpg

photo 045_zpsor9bn6hj.jpg

Our MC - with his daughter, I think; he did a great job.

photo 046_zpsydw6yipu.jpg

Me and my good friend, Bernadette.  We do a lot of the same races over the course of a year.  This was Bernadette's 75th race of 2016 if I remember correctly.  And, unlike me, she actually RACES hers and usually places in all of them.

She had speedy competition today in her age group.  She usually places 1st or 2nd.  Today she was 3rd.

photo 048_zpsds1yoi2m.jpg

My friend here placed also, in the 70+ group.   He and I ran quite a bit of the course together and had a nice chat about 'old friends' we both know from the local San Antonio races.  Super nice guy.

photo 050_zpskkuecieo.jpg

photo 051_zps0egy6nbf.jpg

Turkeys abounded today, lol.

photo 052_zpsocotrmwm.jpg

Susan with two more of her future Olympians. 

photo 054_zpsyozdolfm.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is the first time I've done this race.  It is a fairly small event - compared to most San Antonio area races - maybe about 150 - 200 participants, and all of them I talked to were very friendly people.   I have run in Fredericksburg before, but usually in the more popular races here, like the Wildflower 5K, and those are usually held nearer the center of town, so it was nice for a change to run in a different area of Fredericksburg.   I liked this small race quite a bit and most assuredly will do it again and would recommend it to my fellow runners and walkers.   It was also the first time for my friend, Bernadette, and she like it quite a bit too and told me she would return also to do this one.    Post race goodies were water, fruits, and I think some other small items...and these really GREAT gingerbread cookies.  I'm not much on gingerbread, but OMG - these things were super delicious. I was tempted to just fill a bag up and take some home, lol, but I did not want to be rude to the other participants.  So I only had  2...okay 3...well, maybe 4... 

MUCHO THANKS  to all the people that made this one happen for we participants, e.g., all the volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement, the EMT guy that drove around the course in his little vehicle, making sure everyone was okay,  the photographers I saw, the "Turkey" guys, and everyone else who contributed for us in some way.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt