Beginners and Beyond

Time for TuesDAILIES (Read 45 times)

Runshortii

Mick - I agree with D, if you've ran a 9 mile run you can finish the HM, but might have to adjust your goal pace a bit. I ran my first few HMs on a longest run of 10 miles and did okay, but the last couple miles sucked and I was usually pretty sore for a few days after.

I ran 3 miles. My legs still feel stiff, but not nearly as bad as when I ran 2 miles two days ago, so progress. Yay. Plan on doing some easy running while on vacation and then go back to more "formal" training.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Mick Jogger, I'm a lower mileage runner compared to lots on here. I find once I get to the 40 mpw range, it doesn't give me results. I'm also slow, so that's about 8 hours per week of running. That all said, how frequently were you running when you were putting up 35 mpw? Were you using the 3rd edition of Daniels? His plans tend to leave out rest days, however, I remember reading that rest can have multiple interpretations. Paraphrasing, a 100 mpw runner may find a 45 minute jog "rest", for someone else, maybe 20 minutes, yet another person, no running. So basically, did you feel like you got adequate rest & recovery on 35 mpw?

Another thing, 9 miles at (or faster than) goal pace is A LOT. Don't run your race in training.

What I found worked for me was 2 longer runs. My 2 strongest halfs I think my longest run was 11 mile. 1 I would include some faster (think HM pace), the other was easy. It was based on a Hudson-ish approach.

DavePNW

JayB - I totally thought of you after my HM last Saturday. We got COTTON race shirts <gasp>...but mine came in handy when I needed to towel myself off before changing into clean, dry clothes 🤣🤣🤣

When I lived in Detroit, just about every race came with a free tech shirt. Since I moved to Seattle a few years ago, it seems to be about 1/3 tech, 1/3 cotton, and 1/3 shirts you have to pay for (so not sure which, because I never do). I wouldn't mind fee-for-shirt if it brought the registration prices down, but they are still plenty expensive. I'd rather they saved money by cutting out the medals; it seems nearly every race has one now, even down to 5k. At least I get use out of the shirts -- I have not actually bought a running shirt in years, and I wear some of the cotton ones on weekends. The other thing I wish they'd re-direct their medal spending on is AG awards. Too many races here have neither awards nor even recognition. AG placings are sort of my main motivation these days, so when I place but it doesn't get recognized, it's a bit of a downer. I do realize they make all their money off the masses, who love the medals, and not the handful of competitive people who want awards. And it's the masses which allow so many races to exist for the benefit of us more competitive types.

So there.

Dave

KCRuns

Baboon- we bought our Star Wars tickets yesterday, can't wait! 

Docket - What's your secret for running back to back marathons like that?

Cyber - I saw you post before about run commuting.  I've just started run commuting to work a few days a week and it takes a LOT of planning in advance.  Do you leave stuff at work all the time or carry a backpack with you?  I'm finding it goes well if I plan out the week on Mondays and take everything with me, but I can't impulsively run commute.  And do you do this in the winter?  I've been trying to figure out if I need to buy more coats to leave at work so I can run to work and normal commute home over the winter.  Any tips you have are appreciated!

SRD for me.  I brought stuff with me today to run to work tomorrow if the weather is good.  I also got a few lectures about taking enough rest days as I was walking in and people saw me with my gym bag. It's nice to know I work with people who care Smile

DavePNW

Cyber - I saw you post before about run commuting.  I've just started run commuting to work a few days a week and it takes a LOT of planning in advance.  Do you leave stuff at work all the time or carry a backpack with you?  I'm finding it goes well if I plan out the week on Mondays and take everything with me, but I can't impulsively run commute.  And do you do this in the winter?  I've been trying to figure out if I need to buy more coats to leave at work so I can run to work and normal commute home over the winter.  Any tips you have are appreciated!

Where I used to live it was about 5 miles, so good run commuting distance. But the route involved a freeway onramp/offramp, so no thanks. Plus I agree the logistics would be tough with the amount of stuff you'd have to carry in a backpack. Including a laptop. And there was no shower at work, so it was pretty much a non-starter.

Dave

DavePNW

Being insane. No secret at all.

Dave

KCRuns

Where I used to live it was about 5 miles, so good run commuting distance. But the route involved a freeway onramp/offramp, so no thanks. Plus I agree the logistics would be tough with the amount of stuff you'd have to carry in a backpack. Including a laptop. And there was no shower at work, so it was pretty much a non-starter.

My gym is in my work building so I do have a shower, etc.  I've starting packing a bag on Mondays with enough clothes for at least 3 days (my cube looks like I moved in).  My gym bag has everything I need, including a second set of make up, and the gym has hair dryer etc.  It's doable.  But I have to go through my calendar and figure out when I have clients in town and what my schedule is.  I leave my gym bag at work all week and take it home on Fridays to replenish any toiletries, etc.  My problem is that if I don't plan ahead for the entire week, it's hard to put an outfit in a backpack and run with it.  And I can't wrap my brain around doing this in the winter when I will definitely need a good coat to get home (I live in Chicago).  I live downtown, so I run along the lake, out around Navy Pier and then up the river to my office.  It's 2 miles straight shot door to door, but I usually make it 5 and can honestly make it whatever distance I want depending on how early I get up.  And it cuts out my commute on the bus from home.  I like doing it, I'm just convinced I'm making it harder on myself than it has to be and there may be a better way.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

JayB - I totally thought of you after my HM last Saturday. We got COTTON race shirts <gasp>...but mine came in handy when I needed to towel myself off before changing into clean, dry clothes 🤣🤣🤣

Ran 2x laps on the Queensborough Bridge this am. Oof. My poor quads, attacking the bridge a day after a hard 10.5 miler. Fingers crossed it makes me stronger for 11/5! 3 miles, 11:20 pace.

Ugh, I hate those cotton race shirts.  Most of our 5Ks and 10Ks have those.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Baboon- we bought our Star Wars tickets yesterday, can't wait! 

SRD for me.  I brought stuff with me today to run to work tomorrow if the weather is good.  I also got a few lectures about taking enough rest days as I was walking in and people saw me with my gym bag. It's nice to know I work with people who care Smile

Stupidity.

I have also run 2 in one weekend. That was really stupid, but so much fun, lol.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Being insane. No secret at all.

Or that.

Damaris

Baboon

delicate flower

I found this interesting:  No watch.

<3

Uff I completed 8.5miles after a 9 mile sunday. Trying to slowly ramp up mileage after some shin problems 3 weeks ago. Legs feel tired and my knee hurts a bit below the knee cap. Bummer, was hoping to make it through without any pain but ever since I have exceeded the 35 miles per week I keep on having consistent problems: left inside shin pain while running & right knee pain. It doesnt matter which shoes I run in. It doesnt hurt like crazy and it has actually gotten better after I reduced my weekly mileage to about 25m. Funny because I read lawyermoms half marathon thread and she said it actually is better for her to run more easy and do less quality workouts. Its the opposite for me: the quality sessions dont affect me at all. But the long and easy runs do.

Anyways I am a bit nervous because I wanted to run a half at the end of October (29th) but I am currently just averaging 25 miles per week as I am only running every other day. And I might increase this to 30 the last week of training before the taper week but dont have the impression that this will be enough to complete the 13.1m strongly. I have been averaging 25 miles for the past 3 1/2 months and am following a 10week half training plan from Jack Daniels were I am in Phase 4 now - which is a lot of goal pace and tempo run but primarily a lot of easy running. I ran 15k at slightly faster than goal pace without any gels on sunday and felt pretty drained. Could have probably gone on for another 3k but 6??? Hm...well any suggestions are more than welcome! Btw this will be my first hm and I was hoping to get close to 1:50min.

To be clear, I still do quality, what I cut out was sprinting.  I've spent the past 7 weeks doing 8x 800s once a week, and my LR has a tempo in the middle most weekends.  So yeah, there's quality there, just not sprinting.  Hill sprints and strides were the things I cut out, I kept the bread and butter structured speed work.

Based on your post, IMO, it's not long and easy that's affecting you, it's long and hard.  That's a long tempo at 1/2 pace.  I don't think I've ever had a 1/2 schedule with more than 6 miles at tempo--you went 9.  That's a lot.  Also, OFR made a good point, you have to keep your form good when you are running easy, which can be almost harder than when you are running fast--it's easy to just mentally check out and not pay attention to form when you're just cruising.  Bad form can result in niggles.

Regardless, you've got a decent base, and you will finish the 1/2 without a problem.  Go conservative the first few miles, and see how it feels, then drop the hammer if it's going well!  Good luck!!!

I never ended up running yesterday, so I will call it the RD for the week.  Got out for 6.5 this morning.  It was creepy out there--super foggy and I was totally alone.  I've gotten used to seeing a lot of other runners in the mornings, but apparently now that the local 1/2 / full marathon is over, everyone is recovering in bed.  We'll see how many of them return to the streets over the next couple weeks.

OFR, check your messages, I'm about to PM you.  JayB, that's awesome that your wife is doing her first 5K!  Tell her a bunch of randos she's never met are cheering her on from all over the country Smile  Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Hi OFR thank you for your suggestions!!!

• Regarding 12ers - that is really close to the 13 to complete the half. Daniels always tries to somehow avoid injuries and gives the advice of max 30% of weekly mileage on the long runs if you total less than 30mpw. Anyways I will do 11.5 which is a loop around a lake at RP plus 15 seconds per mile next Sunday. I will report back. I run this fast because I do my weekly long runs with a friend who's heck of a triathelete. Somehow I get carried a way when I run with him.
                            • Actually I have another quality session on Friday were Jack D. suggests something like 10min Easy 2×10min Threshold pace with 1min jog 20min easy followed by 2×10 min threshold which is roughly 20 sec per mile faster than goal pace for the half. Lets see how that goes. I will do an ice bath at home to recover.
                            • I do 100 different squats every other day along with 100 lunges and calf exercises plus planks and side leg lifts to prevent the IT band to flare up again. I will continue though and see how it goes until race day.

Thank you - I really appreciate your help!!!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Runshortii

I found this interesting:  No watch.

Sometimes I think I would probably run better without looking at my Garmin every 5 minutes, but not willing to take that chance 😂

RunningOnSand

Hey there runners, weird that some of you are having such hot weather still. Here in the midwest we had frost on the ground! I hauled out my gloves and headband thingy. 3 miles to shake out the legs from Saturday's half. Felt good. I also had some ART therapy done today by a chiro - I think he's really going to help me figure out this damned achilles issue that's been plaguing me since the middle of last year.

Oh, and I'm way too neurotic to run without a watch - especially for a race.