Beginners and Beyond

Time for TuesDAILIES (Read 45 times)

RunningOnSand

But also, if you're Rupp, you can probably do race pace in your sleep. I'm sure with all the mileage & specific training he puts in, his body just knows what speed to go.

DavePNW

I found this interesting:  No watch.

Damn, I was hoping to stalk his RA log.

Dave

(not actually a turtle)

Good afternoon!  5 for me this morning, taper week one (twelve days to my marathon, I just realized it's sneaking up).

DavePNW

But also, if you're Rupp, you can probably do race pace in your sleep. I'm sure with all the mileage & specific training he puts in, his body just knows what speed to go.

Well I'm sure those guys are pretty damn good at it, although I have no idea how much race-pace mileage an elite's training plan actually includes. And IDK how you can know exactly what MP feels like at all the levels of fatigue you will encounter throughout the race. (Feels a lot different at mile 1 than mile 26.) Anyway, of course people ran marathons before Garmins existed. And I can't imagine a lot of what the elites do, so just add this to the list.

Dave

onemile

Doesn't Chicago have clocks like every mile?

Good afternoon!  5 for me this morning, taper week one (twelve days to my marathon, I just realized it's sneaking up).

Hi Turtle!!!  I have been looking all over for you, I thought I missed your RR, but sounds like I'm just impatient Smile  How's training going?

And ROS, did you do a RR on your 1/2?  I need to find that!

DavePNW

Doesn't Chicago have clocks like every mile?

Then, where's his pace band? 

Dave

RunningOnSand

Hi Turtle!!!  I have been looking all over for you, I thought I missed your RR, but sounds like I'm just impatient Smile  How's training going?

And ROS, did you do a RR on your 1/2?  I need to find that!

I'm still working on it.... Big grin

RunningOnSand

Well I'm sure those guys are pretty damn good at it, although I have no idea how much race-pace mileage an elite's training plan actually includes. And IDK how you can know exactly what MP feels like at all the levels of fatigue you will encounter throughout the race. (Feels a lot different at mile 1 than mile 26.) Anyway, of course people ran marathons before Garmins existed. And I can't imagine a lot of what the elites do, so just add this to the list.

True. I would love to know just what his training has been like.

Docket - thanks I wasn't too sure whether I could actually finish the half.

Runshortii - yes I will adjust my pace down. Funny because all the recent times I am running like a recent 10k training run would have actually suggested a faster goal pace - if I had put in the miles....

Half Crazy - I usually run 4-5 days per week. With currently 2 quality sessions. So I feel fine with 1 day rest in between. But tired when training two days in a row....I am using the 3rd edition of Jack Daniels as it is the first one that includes a hm plan. His plans are crazy as they suggest daily running. But again I think they are geared towards college track runners who run twice on some days. I did make sure to rest as I was paranoid about getting injured which I ended up anyways...the 4th phase of the plan is pretty similar to your method with two long runs. So I will see and report back how my body will react to that!

LawyerMom - sorry my bad. I didn't even know sprinting could form part of a hm training plan! I guess my mind just categorized it as quality. And regarding the form - I am trying hard to keep a good posture. But you know what I haven't been paying nearly as much attention to my cadence. I think I am overstriding. I will have to go back to regular counting in between to keep it short!

Thanks everyone!!!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

DavePNW

True. I would love to know just what his training has been like.

I need to do some googling on the subject, now I am curious. But I remember reading an article about some of the non-elites who managed to qualify for the US Olympic Trials, just based on time. Some were saying what their "favorite workout" was. One guy said he likes to do a 30x400m workout. JHC.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

To be clear, I still do quality, what I cut out was sprinting.  I've spent the past 7 weeks doing 8x 800s once a week, and my LR has a tempo in the middle most weekends.  So yeah, there's quality there, just not sprinting.  Hill sprints and strides were the things I cut out, I kept the bread and butter structured speed work.

Based on your post, IMO, it's not long and easy that's affecting you, it's long and hard.  That's a long tempo at 1/2 pace.  I don't think I've ever had a 1/2 schedule with more than 6 miles at tempo--you went 9.  That's a lot.  Also, OFR made a good point, you have to keep your form good when you are running easy, which can be almost harder than when you are running fast--it's easy to just mentally check out and not pay attention to form when you're just cruising.  Bad form can result in niggles.

Regardless, you've got a decent base, and you will finish the 1/2 without a problem.  Go conservative the first few miles, and see how it feels, then drop the hammer if it's going well!  Good luck!!!

I never ended up running yesterday, so I will call it the RD for the week.  Got out for 6.5 this morning.  It was creepy out there--super foggy and I was totally alone.  I've gotten used to seeing a lot of other runners in the mornings, but apparently now that the local 1/2 / full marathon is over, everyone is recovering in bed.  We'll see how many of them return to the streets over the next couple weeks.

OFR, check your messages, I'm about to PM you.  JayB, that's awesome that your wife is doing her first 5K!  Tell her a bunch of randos she's never met are cheering her on from all over the country Smile  Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

I agree with this.  If the LRs are kicking your ass, it is likely that you're running them too fast (which is easier to do when you're running less miles than normal because your legs are fresh).

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sometimes I think I would probably run better without looking at my Garmin every 5 minutes, but not willing to take that chance 😂

The first 4-6 miles of Chicago have no GPS signal worth shit, which is the same as running without a GPS.  This is why I always run these miles like I'm on a 5K race, so no. I shouldn't run without one.

Damaris

DavePNW

The first 4-6 miles of Chicago have no GPS signal worth shit, which is the same as running without a GPS.  This is why I always run these miles like I'm on a 5K race, so no. I shouldn't run without one.

That would suck, for me. I would be terrified to run without a Garmin or working signal. FYI, at Detroit, you will cut out for 1 mile in the tunnel (~mile 7). Also when I ran, it cut out on a portion going under a long freeway overpass (we were actually running ON a shut-down portion of freeway, which was weird). I think that was a new section of the course that year, so not sure if they still have it.

Dave

Cyberic

I programmed my watch for 12 x 200 w/ open rest (jogged back to start because it was on a park path on a straight stretch of about 250m). Had time for 10. A bit disappointed at first not to do 12, but it is what it is.

5 miles at lunch and another 3.5 ish to get back home this evening.

Cyber - I saw you post before about run commuting.  I've just started run commuting to work a few days a week and it takes a LOT of planning in advance.  Do you leave stuff at work all the time or carry a backpack with you?  I'm finding it goes well if I plan out the week on Mondays and take everything with me, but I can't impulsively run commute.  And do you do this in the winter?  I've been trying to figure out if I need to buy more coats to leave at work so I can run to work and normal commute home over the winter.  Any tips you have are appreciated!

I'll take the time this evening to write a correct answer to your question. It does take a LOT of planning. At first I kept forgetting stuff. but now I am pretty good at it. And yes, in the winter it's more complicated as you have more stuff, and it is heavier.

But you have access to a shower, and that is the single most important obstacle to commuting IMO (if you don't have one). So I'll write more later.