Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins (Read 18 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

I spent the morning buying more running clothes instead of actually running   Sparkleskirts is having a sale and while I don't normally run in skirts, I did wear one for the marathon last year and it was super functional and comfortable so I bought a couple more.

Anyway, today I'm going to run a bit either 4 or 8 miles and then pick up my bib and such for my 4 mile race on Sunday.  If I don't do the 8 today, then I'll just run home after the 4 mile race - which might be a good thing to do because my specific subway line is screwed up this weekend.  DH will be running it with me, but he'll take the train back no matter what because he doesn't do distance since his half marathon ordeal last year.

Is anyone else racing this weekend?

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  7 miles tonight.

Jill, saw the SS sale.  Unfortunately, I am waiting for a million customs and I think I have almost everything I want from the SS website.  So, not even going to look for fear something will fall on my cart.  Ha.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I had chorus rehearsal last night, and DH needed to pick up some batteries, so we loaded up Dusty and his bandaged feet, put the cone on his head, and started out.  Except that having the cone on his head in the car completely freaked him out, so less than a mile down the road we turned around and went home.  I drove myself to chorus and then stopped afterwards to pick up the batteries, which worked out better for all.  Dusty gets his bandages off this morning, and we're still not prepared to leave him home alone, so I have to do some grocery shopping after work today.  It's all good!  Now I'm trying to decide if I want to jump through all of the hoops necessary so that my lab can handle blood samples.

Jill -- I love shopping!!  Good luck to you and DH on the race!!

Docket -- have a good 7!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

I have one sparkle skirt that I've had for years and is wearing out, so I will have to check that out!

HSM, poor Dusty!  He seems like he has the worst luck for stuff like that! Could he ride in the car without the cone since if he's with you, you could catch him munching?

At PT for my eval. All of the foot ankle stuff the doc had me doing seems unnecessary. PT agrees it's all hip/glute weakness. Weak enough that apparently I've been doing myrtls all wrong compensating for that weakness. so I have those plus some standing exercises and hopefully that will do the trick.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Jill & Damaris, have a good run!

Zel, I hope you figure out exactly the exercises you need. Sounds like you are on the right track.  *fingers crossed*

Hopesmom - poor pup. Sad

I went to boot camp for an hour this morning, then went to the park and briskly walked 2.7 miles with a couple of friends.  Later today I'm going on a field trip with the after-school program kids; we're going to a park so I will probably do more running & playing there too.

PADRunner

I did a small preview of my upcoming speed workouts to get ready for a track meet next month.

10 starts & 3 x 300 with warm up and cool down.

GinnyinPA

PAD - sounds like a good workout.  What events are you entering at the meet?

Z - how do you do myrtls wrong?  I ask, because my hips/glutes aren't getting any better either.

Jill - did your husband's doctor tell him he should stick to short runs and races or is he just being cautious?

D - I hope your 7 went well.  Is it still cool enough to run outside?

HopesMom - do you have time to deal with new equipment and protocols?  I hope Dusty heals quickly. Ben hasn't had to wear the cone of shame since we adopted him, but I know he wouldn't do well with it either.

Allison - sounds like a good day with a nice mixture of exercise.

I needed a rest day, so we went to a distant state park for a very short hike on trails we've never hiked. More driving time than walking, but it was fun to go someplace different.

PADRunner

The 100m, 200m, and maybe 400m.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Z - how do you do myrtls wrong?  I ask, because my hips/glutes aren't getting any better either.

Jill - did your husband's doctor tell him he should stick to short runs and races or is he just being cautious?

D - I hope your 7 went well.  Is it still cool enough to run outside?

HopesMom - do you have time to deal with new equipment and protocols?  I hope Dusty heals quickly. Ben hasn't had to wear the cone of shame since we adopted him, but I know he wouldn't do well with it either.

Allison - sounds like a good day with a nice mixture of exercise.

I needed a rest day, so we went to a distant state park for a very short hike on trails we've never hiked. More driving time than walking, but it was fun to go someplace different.

Nope.  Ran on the TM.  Today and tomorrow are also Summer hot.  Hoping for more mild weather next week.

Damaris