Beginners and Beyond

Saturdailies with a wintry mix (Read 29 times)

delicate flower

1:35:20 HM.  The hills, and mostly the wind, chewed my ass up and spit me out.  I wish I could quantify how much the wind cost me but it had to be a few minutes.  Just relentless.  #excuses

But I tell ya hwhut (propane), I'm pretty stoked about my 11 OA finish...my highest placement yet in a HM.  2 AG won me a pint glass.  YAY STUFF!

<3

Cyberic

HCK, sorry it didn't go your way.

Baboon, pretty impossible to quantify bad conditions' real time cost. In good conditions, race for time. In bad conditions, race for position. Congrats on placing so good.

I ran 8 in heavy slush. Got to try out my Gore-Tex shoes I bought for this weather. They work!... for a while. Today's slush and water was just too intense for anything but high rubber boots, so I finished with wet feet.

I wanted to run some miles at HMP today, but nah. Maybe tomorrow if weather permits. Big wet flurries are still coming down though, so I'm not too confident about tomorrow.

LRB

From the Internet.

1:35:20 HM.  The hills, and mostly the wind, chewed my ass up and spit me out.  I wish I could quantify how much the wind cost me but it had to be a few minutes.  Just relentless.  #excuses

But I tell ya hwhut (propane), I'm pretty stoked about my 11 OA finish...my highest placement yet in a HM.  2 AG won me a pint glass.  YAY STUFF!

I LOVE STUFF! Good work Boon! It was not great out there this morning.

Lol the friendly local running publication posted an article for April Fools. It is gold. My converted New Bedford HM time is 1:35:01. I WAS IN THE BEST SHAPE OF MY LIFE, I TELL YA!

Glad I shifted my long run to tomorrow. 6 today actually was pretty nice once I got moving. Little warm with a windbreaker on, but I was thoroughly soaked and not frozen by the end, so that's a win. And seeing that this is day 3 of easy miles, I almost had my normal legs back after I warmed up. Nice to know they're still there!

No more marathons

Another benefit of morning running; if my brain was fully awake and functioning properly, I would run much less.

Back in another life I alternated between morning, lunch, and evening - often doing doubles.

My schedule in the morning was to roll out of bed and be on the road within 10 minutes before I was fully conscious.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

lol

Are you running with an audio book today or to the serene sounds of nature? I had taken to running long with music beginning last fall, but somewhere along the line it screwed up my breathing rhythm, so now I run to the sounds of nature. Yay.

Yep - if my book is good that gives me an added incentive to get a run in.

Currently on the 4th book in the John Puller series by David Baldacci;  No Man's Land.

He's a leaker!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

This running calculator gives at least as estimate of how much a headwind slows you down. See options at the bottom.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

No more marathons

Phil, Yes - in many road races the variables of weather and terrain can really throw time for a loop - but placement is all about your time compared to the others there.  Congrats on the high place finish.

2:09 and change. The running gods gave me a nice big fuck you with a headwind in the last part. Guess I reversed the trend, but still not what I want to see.

HCK - same here - wind can be even as much a barrier as hills and heat.

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

Damn - my run tomorrow is set for 11.  And then Sunday is a rest day.

If I do the 11 I'll end up the week with 39.4.

Do I run another .6?  What to do, what to do?

Problem solved.  Did my 11 mile workout, including a fast finish 3 miles and then did a .6 mile cool down, just like after a race.

BOOM!  40 miles for the week.

He's a leaker!

Half Crazy K 2.0

This running calculator gives at least as estimate of how much a headwind slows you down. See options at the bottom.

I've played with this before, last year after the Gale warning that was the AC half marathon. I don't know that I put a lot of stock in the numbers. For a 10mm (pretty sure that was my pace when going directly into the wind), it gave me an adjusted pace of 8:24. LOL. I've been struggling to even hit that in a 5k, so no way in heck would I be doing that in a half.

Pretty sure this is the calculator that made me feel crappy about my half PR. I had plugged in my prior PR (2:10) from a very hilly course and it said predicted time on a flat course was 2:04. Couldn't run that on a flat course, more than 1 attempt.

delicate flower

Baboon, pretty impossible to quantify bad conditions' real time cost. In good conditions, race for time. In bad conditions, race for position. Congrats on placing so good.

Very true.  I knew I was pretty high up in the field and was just trying not to get passed the last five miles.  I was completely alone during those miles and felt the full angry brunt of the wind.

Looking at people on Strava who also did the race, people were just tanking the last five miles.  It's pretty ugly.  Actually I shouldn't say they were tanking....they were just slowing way the hell down.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't usually dread my evening runs. I usually run right after work and that is just business as usual.  I only dread them when I have a impossibly hard workout

Same for me. I run after work and my energy is pretty high. Sometimes it actually makes work better, knowing I have a run after.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats to our races, especially on tough races.

Expo done. Now enjoying some pasta. My knee is achy but it didn't do badly.

Damaris

delicate flower

Just got back from a three mile jog.  Easy recovery and I wanted to get "in the green" for the Stupid Focking Miles Game this week, helping my team to what will surely be another loss.

<3

the Stupid Focking Miles Game this week, helping my team to what will surely be another loss.

I never pay much attention to that shiz, haven't checked it in weeks, then I look and see we're in last place. WTF? I thought we had some good people. Are they sucking or not posting or what?

MTA: even the airport is hot here, ffs.

Dave