Beginners and Beyond

Week 45 Penguins could use a little common sense! (11/03-11/09) (Read 11 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is Use Your Common Sense Day, so go for it!  I think common sense is a tough thing to find on a Monday morning, but maybe y'all are better at it than I am.

Spending most of my time today finishing up my lecture for this afternoon.  Man, I'll be glad when this class is over!!  Next year it will be easier to teach, because the lectures will be developed (or at least begun, if I want to polish them up a bit).  But creating this thing from scratch is a bear.

I made biscuits over the weekend, which turned out fairly well, and also communion bread from church, which still needs some practice.  It was ok, but a little burnt on top, and not as high-rising as I had wanted.  I think I'll try the recipe again and make rolls for Thanksgiving for my family -- I'll be out of town for December's communion, but I suspect the lady who usually bakes the bread is looking to pass the torch, so I suspect I'm the breadmaker when the new year starts.  Which is fine -- it's not difficult, and I'm sure I can get the kinks worked out.

Still, when I retire, DH better hope I spend more time knitting and singing than baking, otherwise we're both going to be carb-loaded all the time!!  I suspect I'll have to start giving baked goods away ... but they're so much fun to make!! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

HM - that's why I don't bake. I love baked goods and can eat them until I'm stuffed. DH isn't much better, but he's diabetic so really needs some control. Not having them in the house except on special occasions keeps my weight down and his blood sugar regulated. Mostly we'll buy one piece of cake or pie or sweet roll, not a whole one.

RD for me. I woke up very stiff. I don't know why since I only ran 6 yesterday.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Lately, common sense is hard to find anywhere!

Afternoon!  I had a busy weekend but nice one too.  I have 5 miles tonight.

HopesMom, yum.  Biscuits.  Send me some.

Ginny, I was super sore after my 8 the other day.  I wonder if the weather makes us tighter?

Damaris

lewjeffrey

My goal is to get in three miles after work.  A lot of it depends on how the early setting sun affects things.  I need to investigate some new running routes and come up with a game plan until my living situations gets more stable.

HM - It's funny how marriage can change a person. I used to bake a lot before I got married and then due to a multitude of reasons it just trailed off after marriage.  Now after the separation I've found that itch again.  The first weekend post separation I made an apple crisp.  The weekend after that I made Snickerdoodle bread.  This past weekend I had some friends over for a potluck and scratched the baking to do some quinoa and crockpot meatballs.  I found my place in the kitchen and don't planning on losing it again! 

Ginny - Enjoy the rest day!

Damaris - have fun with the five!

Singer who runs a smidge

Lew, thanks for reminding me I need to charge my bike headlight!  I usually leave around 5:30 on Mondays after I teach, and I'm sure it's going to be getting dim ...

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, all!!  It's a lovely day out, perfect for biking!  I left my fleece in the car, as it was already 60 when I started riding.  Also strength training and voting done this morning.  Woo-hoo!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Afternoon!  I had a very nice, peaceful dark run last night.  I have 6 or my RD tonight.

Lew, nice to see you around once again. Hoping your living situation gets better and you can find routes to run.

HopesMom, great job you!  I don't get to vote this time around because we came in just around the time voting registration was done.

Damaris

lewjeffrey

I successfully squeezed in my run last night.  I was tempted to skip out because I couldn't find my running socks.  Ended up getting one particularly bad blister.  Today is either a rest day or an XT day with hopes that my blisters are healed tomorrow to get in another run, 

GinnyinPA

HM - I'm glad you had a good bike ride in to work today.

D - enjoy your 6 tonight or tomorrow. Are you getting snow this week?

Lew - sorry about the blister. Cotton socks? I hope the rest helps.

Gray day. I didn't want to run, but went out anyway and ran 10. It felt surprisingly good.

Singer who runs a smidge

Good morning, Penguins!!  I did some procrastinating yesterday, which means that today is pretty busy.  You'd think I'd learn ...

Biking and strength training done.  My right knee is a little tight for some reason.  I'm ignoring it for now -- it's just grumbling a little, not actually complaining.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I didn't run last night so I have 6 tonight.

Ginny, no snow.  We've gotten wonderful sunny days with 30-50F weather.  Loving it.

HopesMom, nice workouts.

Lew, glad you were able to run.  Hoping you are set for your next run tonight.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

I drove to town so I could run on the flat and ran 6.6.

Singer who runs a smidge

No biking today, because it's Thursday.  I did hit the weights, though.  They're calling for some wintry weather next week, but say that it shouldn't amount to much.  I'm hoping not, because I've just scheduled a massage for the same day the snowy should hit, and then I've scheduled a day off the next day.  I'm really enjoying taking a day off per pay period.  I think I'll continue it next year, but only take one day off per month, not two.  That way I can still accrue vacation, just slowly.

Of course, I do still have 5 weeks saved up.

But one will disappear during Thanksgiving and Christmas.  So I'll start the new year with about 4 weeks of vacation saved up.  Which is all good.

They might come get the moss off our roof today, which would be awesome, because I'm trying to line things up to get our homeowner's insurance renewed, and it all kind of hangs on getting the roof fixed.

GinnyinPA

HM - good luck with the roof and the insurance company.

Rainy day here. I'll do a workout on the TM this afternoon.