Beginners and Beyond

SunDAILIES: Wind Cold & Snow - One of them has to go (Read 33 times)

LRB

I'm at the park. I walked to the restroom and back. I'm not sure I'm up for this nonsense.

onemile

16 miles with the boys starting temperature of -6. It actually wasn't bad.

onemile

Yes, but you're starting the workout at your true threshold pace through 20 minutes, then adjusting it every 5 minutes thereafter. So at no time after that will marathon pace feel like marathon pace. It will feel like threshold effort, which is the point of the workout.

Really?  That wasn't my interpretation

Cyberic

Really?  That wasn't my interpretation

Same here, but we just see the chart. He has the book.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I wonder if the reason the chart is missing from the 3rd edition is that the plans often have 1 hour at M pace for the long run?The 40-50 mile/week plans do that every 3rd week (I think).

LRB

I honestly don't recall it all exactly, but that was my takeaway from them in 2013 and '14 respectively. I actually did that tempo run on the treadmill once because it seemed to be easier to adjust the pace.

But yeah, I guess I could be totally wrong and didn't interpret it properly. I don't know. I guess I am/did.

LRB

I ran 9 miles.

I uploaded the run then realized I needed to run 9.6 to get to 50 for the week. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I ran 10 at the gym. I am sore ha.

Damaris

KCRuns

Well, yesterday’s race didn’t go as planned. It was feels like -8. In the sun I felt overdressed and in the shade I felt underdressed and never just right. My SIL was having some foot pain, so we turned around early and took it easy getting back to the start, stopped for pictures, etc. I ended up with 9.6 miles and my first ever DNF. Surprisingly, I don’t care. It was a “for fun” race anyway. Then we went to brunch and had bottomless mimosas 🥂.

It’s stupid cold here, so I went as a guest w/SIL to her gym today and ran 8 on the treadmill. I’m hungover, so it was a struggle, but I got it done.

LRB

Turns out I have the third ed of Daniels, and these charts are not in there. That's what they say on "the forums". The Google search HCK  suggested got me the chart though. Thanks.

Thanks Ginny also. I do have the Pfitz Advanced Marathoning book, but I was curious as to what LRB was referring to yesterday.

Ran 11 on the mountain ultra easy.

MTA: For my VDOT value (between 50 and 55), 60 minutes T pace is almost MP. I did not expect that. Interesting.

MTA2: Funny that he removed that chart from 3rd edition, don't you think?

Just thinking out loud. For a VDOT of 50 and a LT pace of 6:51, how is running at 7:17 for 60 minutes a threshold run if you never got to the threshold level.

LRB

Well, yesterday’s race didn’t go as planned. It was feels like -8. In the sun I felt overdressed and in the shade I felt underdressed and never just right. My SIL was having some foot pain, so we turned around early and took it easy getting back to the start, stopped for pictures, etc. I ended up with 9.6 miles and my first ever DNF. Surprisingly, I don’t care. It was a “for fun” race anyway. Then we went to brunch and had bottomless mimosas 🥂.

It’s stupid cold here, so I went as a guest w/SIL to her gym today and ran 8 on the treadmill. I’m hungover, so it was a struggle, but I got it done.

I can't race in single digit temps so you did well to even try in the first place. Your indifference was well placed. 👍

LRB

1 mile.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Dorian and I went for a chilly hike at Audubon,  he was feeling quite peppy so we ran a bit of the 3.3 miles. It was muddy and slippery in a lot of sections, but enjoyable.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Cyberic

Just thinking out loud. For a VDOT of 50 and a LT pace of 6:51, how is running at 7:17 for 60 minutes a threshold run if you never got to the threshold level.

I dunno, that's why I was surprised at the chart.

And if your interpretation is correct, it would make for a weird run, as you'd keep slowing the pace down every 5 minutes. I understand what you explained, and it makes sense, but it goes against the "finish strong" philosophy, doesn't it?

Maybe that's why he removed the chart. Too complicated for mere humans like us.

16 miles with the boys starting temperature of -6. It actually wasn't bad.

Same except no boys and 45 more degrees.

57 miles for the week.

Dave