Beginners and Beyond

Insipid ThursDAILIES (Read 39 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I totally thought the affluenza case had something to do with flu or some other "cold" type virus! That is until I was sitting eating breakfast earlier and overheard a couple talking about it, it was then that I realized I am an utter moron.

In my defense (this is weak but true), I have never even bothered to actually read the damn sub-story under the headline, but still.

Damaris

Baboon

delicate flower

I think it looks dramatic because the scale on the left is goes from 660 to 760.  It was not hilly.  There was a small "hill" which you can barely even call a hill within the first quarter mile, and then a gradual grade down, across a wooden bridge, turn around, gradual grade up, small hill, finish.  It was not a hard course and maybe the slippery bridge cost a few seconds - it was pretty long and I had to cross it twice but I don't think that really affected my time much.

Gotcha.  I saw the 400'+ of elevation gain and that kind of grabbed my attention.  I am guessing your next 5K will be better.  You haven't raced in two months, and it's hard to just bang out a fast race after a layoff.  It's hard to push, it's hard to stay uncomfortable, and it's hard to concentrate.  You're just not used to it.  At least, that's been my experience.  I always need a couple of races in the new year until I get that race feeling back, which is part of the reason I am doing two 10's in January.

<3

onemile

Gotcha.  I saw the 400'+ of elevation gain and that kind of grabbed my attention.  I am guessing your next 5K will be better.  You haven't raced in two months, and it's hard to just bang out a fast race after a layoff.  It's hard to push, it's hard to stay uncomfortable, and it's hard to concentrate.  You're just not used to it.  At least, that's been my experience.  I always need a couple of races in the new year until I get that race feeling back, which is part of the reason I am doing two 10's in January.

I don't really feel like I am in as good of shape as I was when I ran my PR (20:29).  I have only been back to speedwork for 3 weeks after a long break.  But the day I ran my PR my legs felt like absolute garbage and I was in the middle of a hard training week so I still thought that maybe I could PR today. I didn't really think I was in sub-20 shape but I thought maybe I could PR.

LRB

There are 3 more.  Jan 24, Feb 14, Mar 20

It's hard to point at which (if any) will be your best shot given the unpredictability of the weather, but there is no doubt you should benefit from each race (and the speed work that accompanies them) if you are able to run on dry pavement and give full 5k effort each time out.

As it is, let this disappointment fuel your training, and maybe next time out you can get that 2nd mile to line up with miles 1 & 3 and get a PR.

LRB

Baboon

delicate flower

I don't really feel like I am in as good of shape as I was when I ran my PR (20:29).  I have only been back to speedwork for 3 weeks after a long break.  But the day I ran my PR my legs felt like absolute garbage and I was in the middle of a hard training week so I still thought that maybe I could PR today. I didn't really think I was in sub-20 shape but I thought maybe I could PR.

If you were thinking "maybe PR" and came within 10 seconds, I'd call that pretty good.  If you thought a PR was a lock and you missed it, then I'd say disappointment is in order.  I missed my goal by 41 seconds in my last 5K.   Like LRB said, use this race as motivation.

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

Was that the elevation or a weird EKG? Even though it wasn't "huge" hills, that seems like a lot for a 5k, especially at the end. If anything, I think the smaller, less elevation hills are worse because they don't slow you as much as a steep hill, but it catches up to you. I would think a slippery bridge would definitely be an issue. I'm a wimp, so the sub-30 degree temps would bother me.

LRB

Sometimes gentle rolling inclines can appear as IMMOVABLE MOUNTAINS on the elevation chart. I have one route that is practically flat, but looks like a dune buggy course on the elevation chart. lol

No more marathons

I've said it before, but it bears repeating - the folks in this forum are greatly entertaining.

I'm looking forward to another year of mostly lurking, occasionally spouting out some aged wisdom, and competing in the "game" with a few of you, and against a few others.

Happy new year.

And where the hell is Lily?

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

GinnyinPA

Happy New Year everybody.

6.3 easy fastish miles for me on a cool (45) windy day.

LRB

I just had some dickhead blow at me (for not turning left across five lanes of traffic when it wasn't clear) and another throw his hands up while I was trying to park! Look, it's not my fault you spent your life savings on your bastard ass, undeserving kids for Christmas and now have no money to pay your bills. If you're mad at the world over the shit then here's an idea; DON'T VENTURE OUT INTO THE WORLD.

DavePNW

I am guessing your next 5K will be better.  You haven't raced in two months, and it's hard to just bang out a fast race after a layoff.  It's hard to push, it's hard to stay uncomfortable, and it's hard to concentrate.  You're just not used to it.  At least, that's been my experience.  I always need a couple of races in the new year until I get that race feeling back, which is part of the reason I am doing two 10's in January.

Yeah, the best way to get better at running is to run, and the best way to get better at racing a given distance is to race it, repeatedly. Which of course is the beauty of 5k's (and 10k's to a degree) - you can do them pretty frequently without having to worry too much about taper or recovery. And quickly brush off a bad day (whether due to course, weather, or getting up on the wrong side of the bed), and move on to the next one.

Some folks here may be laughing at me now, recalling that 1.5 yrs ago I had to be basically shamed by the forum into running my first 5k. One raced prior to 2015; 6 raced in 2015. It's addictive.

Anyway - 6 miles today, 232 for the month, 2554 for the year. That's a wrap.

Dave

Cyberic

Maybe you do get better at racing by racing, but by training consistantly I do get adequate race times, certainly comparable to others who race more often than I do. On a 5K, there is a what, 30 second difference between an excellent day and a bad day? IMO racing more might make you better at racing, but it's the training that will make your times drop significantly. I might be wrong on this, but that is what I think.

Cyberic

FWIW, onemile, I think the comparison to others is just as likely to be bogus as the McMillan predictions. Baboon has a better 5K PR than me, and I have a better marathon PR than him. But I understand you about being bummed about your race time: it's all about the result vs the expectations.

LRB

I'm one of the few who appreciate the race predictors but I keep them in perspective. I am not able to hit my marathon predicted time because A: distance is not my strength and B: I do not train for it as one should. On the other hand, I am lights out at the 5k and mile predictors basically because that's where the bulk of my training is focused, and I'm a better middle distance runner than a long one. This is undeniable fact and the reason I do not get too bent out of shape over the marathon. I just wish I can get my body to the point where I can train and race them as best *I* can, not necessarily to the predictor.