Beginners and Beyond

Fridailies - 500 days until Boston (Read 44 times)

bluerun

Super B****

Blue: I'm old and can't see it even on magnify. Sad Cave diving!!!!??? Or something??? Are you crazy!  

It says Single-Gas Dive there, actually, but that's just one of the options... I'm super excited that Garmin Connect finally supports this activity, is all.  And while I am certainly crazy, I will say that I have been cavern diving (well, cenote), and it is awesome.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

DavePNW

I can't believe Baboon added a Boston countdown in his log already. I mean, I can't believe I didn't think of that.

* Processing fee: $ 52.00

Holy mother of hell.

Active.com is on crack. $35 race registration, $5.10 fee! WTF! Oh well, $40 for a half is a good deal. Not a goal race, for fun. It's super close to a friend's house and it gives us a chance to hang out.

I just registered last night for the 15th & final race of 2017, a 5k on 12/9, because $10!! (Today it went up to $20.) I've never seen anything that cheap around here, usually they are $30-40. It's chip timed and everything. It's way on the other side of town, 40 miles, farther than I've ever traveled for a 5k. But someone at my last race who runs it every year was talking it up, and said it's flat. My other two options that weekend were (1) not flat, and (2) even farther. OK then. Friendly Active.com processing fee of "only" $3.25! So, 32.5% of registration cost.

5 miles today. We talked about being charged by dogs, but nothing is as terrifying as a bird attack. JHC. Today, I felt something on the back of my head, just briefly, I wondered if maybe something just fell on me from a tree or whatever. Then about 10 seconds later the same feeling but more severe, felt like some kind of claws on the back of my head. Only lasted a second but freaked me the fuck out. I assume it was a bird, but when I've had that before I could hear the swooping & flapping & squawking. Today was just the claws on the back of my head. Bird? Bat? Squirrel leaping from a tree? IDK, but I did not like it one bit.

BTW, RA is my log of record, so I wouldn't bother editing any of the other places my data ends up anyway (GC, Strava, Final Surge).

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

BTW, RA is my log of record, so I wouldn't bother editing any of the other places my data ends up anyway (GC, Strava, Final Surge).

But everything needs to match.  What is wrong with you?!

chasing the impossible

DavePNW

But everything needs to match.  What is wrong with you?!

Ha. I'm pretty OCD about all this, but probably normal-runner OCD, not bluerun-level.

Dave

DavePNW

2018 in 2018 signups have started!

Signed up just after midnight last night! (Just after 9:00 here.) With the knowledge that I can still change my goal up until the deadline, because I'm still not sure.

Dave

zzyzx

A ton of lifting and then a really good exercise bike session. I'm stoked that my bluetooth headphones have decided to work again!

Bert-o

I lost my rama

bluerun - That's so cool!

Dave - If you start to crave red meat and running at night, then my guess is it was a bat.  You can do the garlic test to be sure.  Be careful!

OFR - Deja vu.... didn't you just do a 12 yesterday?  Your running shoes must hate you!

zzyzx - Last time I lifted with headphones was pre-BT.  Man I wished I had BT headphones back then... with a walkman.

The RD sent an email less than 48 hours until the race with the final course map, description, rules, etc.  Is he trying to recreate the Barkley or something?  My favorite paragraph.....

"TRAIL HAZARDS: Almost the whole trail is covered with leaves.  Hence, those leaves are covering roots, rocks, rubbish, Rex Tillerson resume, etc.  Please watch your step and footing  But there is still an ample amount of tree canopy this late in December………………………………..........<wbr>...When you exit the trail, you will encounter a “dog park” and may be your fastest stretch of the loop.  The dogs are supposed to be gone by 9AM.  But have you ever seen a canine with a Timex?  The dogs are usually friendly; can’t vouch for the owners. "

Since this is a Half Ass 50K, I'm going to do a half ass 4 miles after work - trail / pavement mix-up.  But I have no freakin clue which shoes to wear for the race.... probably the ones where dog poo doesn't get jammed in the tread.  That would make for a very long day.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

KCRuns

USRD. I'm slammed at work so I won't make it to the gym today.  But that's okay.  I'm meeting my SIL in the morning for 8-10 miles and it'll be good to catch up after several weeks running on our own due to her work schedule.

Good luck racing this weekend Bert-O!  I hope the dogs are friendly!

Pretty picture Bluerun!

ZZ, I looooove my bluetooth headphones! They make everything a little easier while running or working out.

DavePNW

Also last night, I signed up for a half in March. I never sign up for anything this early, but there are further price increases coming, and I've wanted to do this race the last couple years but the schedule hasn't worked out. Plan to make it sort of a goal race. It's a full 7 weeks before my intended marathon, so should be able to focus training on the half rather than the usual squeezing into the marathon cycle.

Dave

RunningOnSand

FRIDAY! Ahhh, that feels good.

Good day, runners. Dave, I had a crow attack me once. Scariest shit of my life. I ended up acting like a bird and squawking loudly at it (while "lasso'ing" my earphones...this was back in the day of wired ones!). I was probably super funny to watch, but oh man, every time I see a crow now whilst on a run, I freak out. Sorry for your claw incident. Was there any blood? I think Bread has been attacked by an owl a few times.

So the 2018 in 2018, is that on this site that you guys are talking about?

I got my plan for next week and Coach only has me running 4 days.  I may email to ask him why.

So today I had the most awesome workout ever. Was supposed to be 20 min up, 5mi @ 8:45mm, then 10 min down. My fast splits were: 8:44, 8:40, 8:40, 8:33 (!), and 8:39. WOOT!  8'ish miles and change. How do you like THEM apples?! Plus, it's double date night with some friends. This just might go down as being the most awesome December 1st ever, in my life.

bluerun

Super B****

...registered.  Hope I don’t regret that.

chasing the impossible

bluerun

Super B****

Ha. I'm pretty OCD about all this, but probably normal-runner OCD, not bluerun-level.

I don’t understand how this works. 

chasing the impossible

oldfartrunner

Got 10.16 @ 8:38-aerobic, legs are dead from the last four weeks of trying some doubles.  Might or might not try for 4-6 later? Cut back week next week. Smile

Baboon & Blue: Oh...  Nice pic!

Ros: You got my mojo!  Nice job! ...Damn crows.  We got Ravens around here but they are federally protected so I can't shoot them. Noisy bastards.

Berto: Good luck! ...I would quit on a loop course, the temptation would be too great... Ha! RD has a sense of humor.

Dave: That is scary.   Bread is who the owl attacks.

bluerun

Super B****

I did BQ for 2018 but missed the cut off (as did DaveP).  My recent BQ is for 2019, although I guess technically it is also a 2018 BQ but too bad the race is sold out.  I would have improved my seeding had I gotten in.

Can I borrow it for 2018, since you’re not using it?

chasing the impossible

OMG, Blue, thanks for the heads up that they added activities, they FINALLY ADDED YOGA.  Seriously, they had RCA car racing, but not yoga for the longest.  So stupid, but better now than never.  Also, yes, it all has to match, and I have spent literally hours trying to manually sync logs so they're accurate as compared to each other, and it was worth it.

Dave, that's terrifying.  I don't GAF what clawed you, you best get tested for rabies.  Stupid nature.  Trying to kill us.  ROS, that visual!  I'm dying!  Smart with the headphones, I'm not sure I would have had the presence of mind to think of that defense.

Bert, it's going to be a great race!  The dogs will add a little extra agility to the experience Smile  The RD sounds awesome.

OFR, damn coach, you're hitting these doubles hard!  Happy you've got a cut back week, sounds like it's about time.

ZZYZX, glad it was a good day!  That's two in a row, you crushed the stairs yesterday too IIRC.

5.25 easy for me.  This week has been crazy, I'm so over it.  We have some dinner guests tonight, but they're coming at 6 so hopefully we can kick them to the curb by 9 and crash.  I hate having guests because I have to clean, but then my house is clean, and that's awesome because I can relax on Sunday instead of doing 6 loads of laundry and mopping floors.  Oh, except I've got a LR on Sunday now